Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scared of the Dark?

• 03-07-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

And so i am. I get terrified when i'm alone in the dark... Even in my very own home. I sometimes end up sleeping with the lights on. Especially after watching a horror movie (and god don't i love them horror movies!). Yeah, i guess thats where it started, i always had a love for watching horror movies ever since i was a kid and although they terrified the crap out of me (not anymore though), i still love to watch em!

Anyway, i was just wondering, is this a common fear or i am just one of the few who gets terrified the crap out when they're alone in the dark?
    Like i'm fine when there's someone else with me, i can be brave enough to venture into the darkest corners (blame my curious nature) but when i'm alone, i can hardly survive my own bedroom with the lights off!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I am sure millions of people are afraid of being alone in the dark .That's why they made thousends of horror movies and tv films on same subject.Doesnt bother me now as an adult .Except if i am watching phyco again on my own . .......screech ,screech ,screech ,screech ,screech .......:eek:

Sympathy to you OP an anybody else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

OP, have the same fear, I have a night light (which at my age might seem ridiculous to some) and 5 nights out of 7 sleep with the lights on. But I'm ok if I'm not sleeping alone. The dark has scared the crap out of me since I was a wee one, and I just can't cope with being alone in the dark. But night light helps, can I suggest you invest in one? Mine is a plug, that glows when plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

nothing wrote: »
    OP, have the same fear, I have a night light (which at my age might seem ridiculous to some) and 5 nights out of 7 sleep with the lights on. But I'm ok if I'm not sleeping alone. The dark has scared the crap out of me since I was a wee one, and I just can't cope with being alone in the dark. But night light helps, can I suggest you invest in one? Mine is a plug, that glows when plugged in.
    I know, like i'm 20 and i feel pretty ridiculous to sleep with the lights on at this age or fear going to places in my own house in the dark (like heck, i don't even go near my garage door during night time or to the far end of my back garden!). Like i leave the curtains at my window at bay to let the moon light n night lights come in but it sorta just ends up making the room more eerie! And if i pull the curtains complete, the total darkness becomes just more freaky. Whats more freaky is the faint shadows on the wall from those dim bed lamps (so i doubt how the night light might help). Yeah, they all tend to freak me out quite a good bit. Though i've sorta gotten used to my bedroom lately so its only after watching some scary movie that i feel the need to leave the lights turned on.

But what troubles me more are the other parts of my house at night. I always get this feeling that there could be something behind my back that might dunno, eat me or something! (i feel really stupid feeling this way too, like there's nothing there and even if there was anything there, what could it do!). And its this constant feeling i get on lonely streets, in the night time, in the dark, that there might be someone/something behind my back thats not good, that really freaks me out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I know, like i'm 20 and i feel pretty ridiculous to sleep with the lights on at this age or fear going to places in my own house in the dark (like heck, i don't even go near my garage door during night time or to the far end of my back garden!). Like i leave the curtains at my window at bay to let the moon light n night lights come in but it sorta just ends up making the room more eerie! And if i pull the curtains complete, the total darkness becomes just more freaky. Whats more freaky is the faint shadows on the wall from those dim bed lamps (so i doubt how the night light might help). Yeah, they all tend to freak me out quite a good bit. Though i've sorta gotten used to my bedroom lately so its only after watching some scary movie that i feel the need to leave the lights turned on.

But what troubles me more are the other parts of my house at night. I always get this feeling that there could be something behind my back that might dunno, eat me or something! (i feel really stupid feeling this way too, like there's nothing there and even if there was anything there, what could it do!). And its this constant feeling i get on lonely streets, in the night time, in the dark, that there might be someone/something behind my back thats not good, that really freaks me out...

OP, I am exactly the same as you. All of what you have here is true to my thoughts also. It's a really crap fear to have. I think I'm worse with it now than I used to be as a kid and I'm 22.

However, it is one of the fears I plan to tackle in the coming months. Just going to take it in small steps and see what happens. It's a really annoying fear because when I get hungry in the middle of the night I can't even go downstairs to make food or get a glass of water even. I feel your pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I would have something that runs along the lines of a fear of the dark, but i'm not actually afraid of the dark, just that i MUST sleep with my blinds open to let light in as sleeping in darkness sometimes causes sleep paralysis which freaks me out :( it only lasts for around 5 seconds but when you cant move it's damn scary at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

i am not exactly afraid of the dark, i do like to sleep with the blinds a bit open but mostly coz like to wake up with light coming in the room. but i do have something against the dark, in the sense that am not confortable with not being able to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

i am terrified, im 19 and its so weird at my age like!!!

i cant sleep in the light, but HAVE to have the light on and then i put my head under my covers... even when im with my b/f i have to have the bed lamp on! he used to turn it off in the middle of the night when it woke him, but that woke me and i freaked...

i cant even walk into shaddows!!!!!!! its weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I hate the dark also. I don't mind it if I'm going asleep...but if I have to get up in the middle of the night, I can't walk through a dark room. I HATE being on my own in the house at night time. I get so uptight and have to sleep with the lights on.

Advertisement