Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running 1000 miles...

• 03-07-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I've been very impressed and motivated by some of the threads here, so have decided to post my own journey back to fitness.

My aim is to run 1000 miles over the coming few months, mainly to get back to some level of fitness, lose weight, reduce my BMI, and to have some fun in the process.

A bit of background about me, I'm male, 32yrs, 5' 10", currently weighing 86.4kg giving a BMI of 27. Although I'm carrying a few extra pounds, I'm not totally unfit, but way off where I should and want to be.

In 2005, I ran my first and only marathon in Edinburgh in a time of 3h 42m. I really enjoyed it, but since I've let life, laziness and work take over, and haven't kept up the training. I have run a few slow 10k runs in 2006, but nothing in the past year.

My major vice is the rubbish I eat... I love chocolate, biscuits, and any sugary foods... Healthy food only from here on out. I will post a summary of what I eat.

My aim is this:
    1. To run 1000 miles before end March 2009
    2. To reduce my weight to 75kg (and BMI accordingly)
    3. To run the Addidas Race Series 2008
    4. To run Connamarathon in April 2009
    5. To stop eating rubbish, and start eating healthily.

So, to sart my journey to 1000 miles, tonight I ran:

3.8 miles / flat course / 32.0 min / 8.42 min/mile

Total to date: 3.8 miles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Good start. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yay for more running logs :)
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Today was officially a rest day (i know... after a single day!) but I have a running plan! Just as well, the legs were a bit stiff today.

Went down to the park and did a short warm up jog and some stretching. Felt good after it.

Long(er) run planned for tomorrow morning.

Diet wise did reasonable well today:
    Breakfast: 1/2 Cup Porridge / Banana / Pear Shake / Tea
    11am: Tea / Handful Cherries / banana
    Lunch: Was out to lunch, but kept healthy with a Salad & some Noodles
    Dinner: Spag Bol, Natural Yogurt & Tea

Although probably not the perfect diet, I assure you, leaving out biscuits and afternoon coffee is good for me!

Right, good nights rest and ready for a few miles tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

figs wrote: »
    Diet wise did reasonable well today:
    Breakfast: 1/2 Cup Porridge / Banana / Pear Shake / Tea
    11am: Tea / Handful Cherries / banana
    Lunch: Was out to lunch, but kept healthy with a Salad & some Noodles
    Dinner: Spag Bol, Natural Yogurt & Tea

Although probably not the perfect diet,

No problems with that diet.

Thanks to all for the encouragement...

Today was a run in the Phoenix Park, and although the rain had cleared and I didn't need a rain jacket, a raft would have useful at times!

Also brought my four legged training partner with me for company. This turned out to be somewhat of a handicap, as there were many toilet stops along the way... the dog not me! There were three dumps within the space of 40mins, so I should be able to knock off a few seconds from my time, and the fact that I had extra baggage to carry... there really aren't enough bins in the phoenix park.

I feel I should keep a running "log" of dog deposits too. Today dog has 3.

Anyway, down to business. Todays run:

5.16mi trails (wet) / 42m30s / pace 8.24 min/mi

Was feeling good, but taking it easy enough. I'm signed up for the first Addidas Series 5 mile run next Sat, and want to make it to the start line injury free.

Milage Log - 8.96mi

Dog Log - 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Best of luck with it, I'll look forward to reading your log

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi figs best of luck with your log and goals i look forward to reading about it.i feel your pain on the choclate as its my downfall as well.best of luck in the addidas series and i would sign up for connemara early (i entered already) as its a fantastic event and great as a long term goal

Thanks Odysseus and Sungod. Yup, already signed up for Connemara. I'm the kind of person that needs to commit to things before I do anything about them, so once I sign up, I'll do it!

I'm strangely looking forward to it, as it's a part of the world I really like. Although if you ask me what I think at mile 20 on race day, might be a different story!

Diet today was okay:
    Breakfast- Porridge / 2 Slice Granary Bread / Fruit Shake / Banana
    11am - Fruit Shake (with ground oats & milk) - not bad actually!
    Lunch - Carrot Soup & Chicken & Rissotto & black coffee
    4pm - Tea and a (very small) slice of cake...
    Tea -Pasta & Tomato Sauce & Tea
    Evening - Tea

Calf muscles have stiffened up a bit today, but that's not unusual.

Paid a trip to AmphibianKing in Bray today to get new pair of shoes... my old ones have plenty of miles done, and have holes in them, so had to make a new investment.

Must say, they were quite knowledgeable and helpful. They analysed my running gait, and I could see slight overpronation, which could explain why I've had problems with my calves in the past. Fixed me up with slightly different shoes to what I usually use. Time will tell.

Only planned for short run today, which was just as well. Calves felt tight today. Left my run until this evening in the hope that they would loosen out. not too bad once I got going, but took it easy anyway. Also took the opportunity to try the new runners, which were very comfortable. I'll know for sure after a tough long run though.

Diet:
    Breakfast - Muslei, Fruit Shake, Scrambled Eggs
    11am - Banana
    Lunch - Cous cous w/ onion & tomato, Tea, Handfull Cherries & Strawberries
    4pm - Apple & Cherries
    Dinner - Breaded Sole, Baked Potato & Brocolli, Tea

Todays Run:
    2.8 miles / flat / 23.5 min / pace 8.39 mi/min

Overall Run Log:
    11.76mi / 98min

Just passed the first 1% of the target! :)

Rest day today. Missed not having a run, but still a tightness in the left calf, so was glad of the rest.

Diet:
    Breakfast - Porridge, Banana, Tea
    11am - Mixed Fruit (Grapes, Mellon)
    Lunch - Salad with Turkey, Tuna, Lettuce, Tomato
    4pm - skip
    7pm - Chicken & Rice, Tea

• Advertisement

4 miles in 32min at lunch time today. pace at 8min/mi. Felt easy after rest day yesterday.

Hope to break 38.5 mins for 5 miler on Saturday.

Today's Diet:
    Breakfast - Porridge, Apple, Tea, Banana
    11am - Fruit Shake (with Oats/Milk), Handfull Cherries / Grapes
    Lunch - Tuna / Sweetcorn & Pasta Mix, Plum & mandarin Orange
    4pm - Tea
    Dinner - Lasagne & Salad, Apple & Tea.

Total Mileage: 15.76 miles / 130mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi figs,well done on the log and running so far, just a question or two for you,
    1. Your 4 mile in 32 mins, was it a 100% effort or did you feel like you had more in the tank
    2. If so you should think about a quicker time for the race, the reason being, I was reading a few posts during the week and one post reckons that we should aim higher because if you want 38:30 you will probably get it, so why not 38 or 37:30 you will probably surprise yourself

I'm just throwing it out there:)I should be about 36 for this Sats race but I'm pushing for 35, might surprise myself

Hi Woddle,

The run yesterday definitely wasn't 100%. I went out for an easy enough run at lunchtime, but felt good. Really wasn't pushing it.

You're right about setting a faster target for Saturday. I was probably being a bit too conservative. I've just been concerned with the fact that it's my first week back in training, and the tightness in my calves, but seem to have eased now. I've suffered from pulled calves in the past, and don't want to do it again.

Will target 37 mins.

Good luck on Saturday.

No planned training today.

Diet going well.
    Breakfast - porridge, banana, fruit shake, tea
    11am - fruit shake
    Lunch - Salad with Salmon and Turkey, coffee
    3.30pm - Tea
    Dinner - Spag bol, handful of nuts & raisens, tea

Completed Phoenix Park 5 miler today... and was delighed with my time. I managed 36m 06s by my watch. Will have to wait for the official time, but even still, it was under the 37m I looked at at the outset. Here's my card:

Mile 1 - 7'00"
    Mile 2 - 6'47"
    Mile 3 - 7'05"
    Mile 4 - 7'44"
    Mile 5 - 7'30"

Race started quick enough, and I felt quite good until the two mile mark. Then think the initial pace began to catch up with me. Felt heavy legs after the climb around 2.5mile mark, which seemed to last forever... at least a mile, so mile 3 to 4 was slow. Started picking up again towards the finish. Pleased overall.

Fair play to you Figs, you beat your 37 prediction anyway and you where thinking 38 :D

yeah, what was I thinking!! :D as soon as there's competition I'm able to push a bit more!

great stuff figs, its amazing what race conditions and a stopwatch can do to make us run faster:D
    well done again good progress

Frustrating day today. Didn't feel too bad after run yesterday, and had another 5 miler at slow pace planned for today. Usually I get up and run first thing, but between one thing and another (food shopping, sorting washing, putting up shelves, cleaning up the back yard, minding the baby, etc...), I was pretty busy, so I scheduled it for tonight.

Unfortunately, managed to pull a muscle in my back while lifting something heavy in back yard. Would have been fine, but dog got in way, and I over reached. So decided it best to postpone the run, and see how my back is tomorrow.

Diet wise, today wasn't fantastic either. Friends called over, and brought a box of chocs, so there were a few of them consumed. Also the kitkat bar included in the goody bag from yesterdays race also met its fate.

Otherwise, haven't been too bad. Much better than normal. Hope to hit the road again tomorrow.

Diet today:
    breakfast - porridge, tea, an orange
    11am - bread roll, banana
    lunch - pasta & tomato sauce
    4pm - tea, kitkat & choc's (darn it!)
    dinner - roast chicken, carrotts, peas

Amazingly, there are 4 cans of beer that have survived in the fridge for the past two weeks. I always thought they had a shelf-life of 1 day!:)

Miles to date: 20.76 mi / 166.10 min

Been out of running action all week. My back is still aching since Sunday. Muscular pain in lower left area. Felt a lot better today. Hope I can get out for a gentle run on Saturday to test it out. Not a fantastic start to my 1000 miles...

Diet been reasonably good all week. One hiccup with a biscuit encounter on Tuesday night, but been on best behaviour otherwise. Will do a weigh-in over weekend to see if there has been any change in two weeks.

• Advertisement

Okay, finally got back running again today after a two week break. I inured my back the day after the 5 mile run in Phoenix Park, and it was worse than I thought. Only able now to move without feeling muscle strain.

Anyway, hit the park again this morning, and ran 6 miles (slowly - 50min @ 8:20 mi/min) with no ill effects. So, the countdown continues. Only three weeks to get in shape for the Adidas 10 mile on Aug 16th.

Total to date - 26.76mi

Tonight 3.85mi in 32:45 @ 7.22mi/min.

Nice evening for run around the park. Discovered a circuit around that is exactly 1 mile, which is good.

Weather very hot and humid. Felt tired on last half. Legs started to feel heavy.

Diet good, although was running late and skipped breakfast.

4.9 miles this morning. 42 minutes. Very slow.

Total: 35.51 to date. Not where I wanted to be at this stage, but still going in the right direction.

Another 5 left for this week, but should exceed that (still 3 days left!) Going to start ramping up the miles in the next two weeks up to 27 miles per week. Two weeks after that, I should be up to the low 30's each week.

This morning ran to work. Miserable morning. 5.9 miles / 49 mins @ 8:20 pace.

Total 41.41 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The miserable runs really do make you stronger and think how much you will appreciate the next sunny but perfectly cool day!

Thanks for the encouragement Hunnymonster. Sometimes I really enjoy the bad weather. Just wasn't feeling it last Thurs.

Rest day Friday... the training diet also took a rest... icecream, choc and biscuits in the one day... back on the rails today!

This morning down to Phoenix Park for 8.2 mile run in 65 mins, although that time also includes "comfort breaks"... I had the dog with me again! Felt great after the run, even thought I could have done another 8, but reckoned I should stick to my training plan, so stopped at that. Then came home to discover I'd misread the plan, and I should have done 10 today!! I was so annoyed with myself. Anyway, will have to make it up later in the week.

Plan recovery run tomorrow, and longer run Monday. I love bank hols!

5.5 miles recovery run this morning very slow - 52mins. Ran with a friend today, and really made a difference. miles flew by.

Total to date: 55.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

Great work.........only 944.9 miles to go :-)

Ever consider throwing in a few mountain runs to spice things up.

www.imra.ie

After all the Connemarathon is a bit hilly ;-)

Yes von_Neumann... still a few to go!!!:eek:

Funny you should mention mountain running, I was only looking at the site the other day. This has been something I've looked at and admired for years, but have never had the courage to try... my list of excuses is extensive!

Good idea though, I'll work some into my training schedule over the next few weeks and months...

• Advertisement

Calves felt very tight yesterday morning, so said I'd wait until the evening to run, but the right one was still like a piano wire, and was almost playing a tune. Left the run to today, which was the best part of my day really... got up late, soaked going to work, wet until lunchtime, and in general grump...:(

Anyway, run tonight was good once I got going. 7.5 miles in 62.5 mins (8:20 pace). And I still had pleanty left at the end. Dog came along too... he's going to be fit!! I was almost pulling him along the last two miles! :D

Hopefully I'm in good enough shape to go under 75min for the Frank Duffy 10mile on Sat 16th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done figs . Great progress. 75 mins for 10miles is a great target for less than 6 weeks training.
    Don't overdo it though.

Tks Abhainn.

I'm basing this on the MacMillan Running Calculator, by converting my time for 5 miles (36:07) to 1:15:50 over a 10 mile distance... Basically, running 7:30 a mile, which I have been doing fairly comfortably in training. Hope to put the plan into action this weekend, and do first 8 miles of 10miler at this pace... I'll let you know how it goes!

Rest day yesterday, 4.5 miles this evening in 35:45min.

total distance so far: 67.1 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

well done figs - keep up the good work :)

Tks SpacyLou!

Have had a terrible week of training. Was sick last weekend and the start of this week, so missed my long runs. Then Wednesday my lower right leg was hurting. It was not my calf which is usually my grumble, but "somewhere"... I just couldn't identify it. Just a dull pain in my lower leg.

Anyway, the long and short of it is I've done feck all running this week, yet I'm planning to do the Frank Duffy 10 mile tomorrow. I know the distance will be no trouble, just wheather I'll hold together on the way around...

Guess my (optimistic) time of 75 mins is out the window. Will be taking it easy, and hope to get around 85 to 90 min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The way I try to look at things is that its always about finishing I'm never going to come first in any of the races I run in, unless of course I'm allowed to bring shotgun with me to aid overtaking. Yes I like a good time, its even better when I get the rare chance to run with my mates and do them.

However, at the end of the day don't worry too much about your time, go out there and have a bit of fun. I always try to remind myself the only one I competing with is me. Best of luck with it tomorrow.

Completed the Frank Duffy 10 miler this morning, but it was nothing to write home about, but I'm reasonably happy considering.

Was taking it fairly easy, because of my poor lead into it this week. All was going well until 4 mile mark, when I started to push the stride out a bit, and got a sharp twang in my calf... tried to run it out, but once I pushed the pace at all, I could feel it.

Didn't feel comfortable for the rest of the race and the last three miles were sort of a shuffle run! It was a bit frustrating, but got around anyway. By my watch it was 83:22.

Mile times:
    7:54
    7:43
    8:01
    8:00
    8:25
    8:10
    8:05
    8:39
    9:06
    9:13

Roll on the Dublin half in September!

Fair play to you Figs, your preperation might not have been great with injury and stuff but sill you finished and in a good time too, hope the calf is only a minor thing and the hills did take it out of me a bit, but my approach was to slow it right down just before and on the hill and then give it a burst again. Keep up the good work and sure Ill see you in September, Im thinking of going to Waterford for the National half marathon before the addidas one.

well done figs, congratulations nothing wrong with that run, it can be hard to prepare when your carrying a niggle or injury into a race but you got through it well done and on to the next one

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Will be chalking Saturdays run down to experience, and look forward to breaking my 10 mile PB of 83min the next time!!

I'm working on my calf twice a day with stretching, massage, and a deep heat rub to get blood flow going. Also keeping my runs very light in the next few days. It's fine when I run within myself. Just starts to tighten and I feel it when I lengthen my stride an push the pace up. Anywy, will take it slowly for the moment.

Was a bit stiff yesterday and today after Saturday, probably due to not having done any training last week. took a rest yesterday, and short slow run tonight. 3.6 miles in 34ish mins. Something like 9:30 min miles. Probably the slowest session I've done. Needed a boat for some bits of the park... will we ever see sunshine again??!

Also dietwise, I'm going to have to start itemising what I'm eating again. Been reasonably good, but a few too many luxuries creeping in. I find writing it down keeps me on the straight and narrow!

Breakfast - Porridge w/ raisins / Tea / 1 Orange
    11am - Tea / Banana
    Lunch - Big Salad - ham / Lettuce / tomato / potato / 2 boiled eggs / cous cous
    4pm - Banana / Tea
    Tea - Soup & Grannary Bread / 1 Yogurt / 1 small orange

Total Miles: 80.7 ...only 919.3 left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Good going so far figs, meant to comment on your log earlier. Your Frank Duffy 10 was a pretty good time, you can use that as a target to progress from. I'd say if you held back a bit on the first 3 mile the finish might have been easier. Starting out too fast was something I was always guilty of.

Keep it up those 1000 miles won't be long clocking up and when your weight starts to come down it going to get a whole lot easier.

Thanks ike. I deliberately went out slow on the FD10 because of my poor build up the week before the race. Race was all going to plan until my calf twinged again at 4 mile mark. Soo it was damage limitation at that stage, and just got around. Anyway, will have a time to beat for the next one.

Tonight I added another 5 miles in 40min (8:00mi/min pace).

Total to date: 85.7 miles.

Diet today:
    Breakfast: Porridge & Sultanas, 1 yogurt, 1 orange
    11am: Tea, orange, banana
    Lunch: Salmon salad / tomato / potato salad
    4pm: Banana, Tea
    Dinner: Lamb chop, mash potato, petit poids & green beans, 1 yogurt

Ok, have eased back on the runs this week, as I was still getting a niggle in my calf. Took to cycling to/from work as a form of substitute. Round trip of 20km.

Got out this evening for a longer run. 9.7 miles in 81 mins. My house came along just that bit too soon, and I didn't have the energy to make the full 10. I did a 0.5 mile warm up before the run, so easily exceeded the 10 anyway.

Reckon will be a bit stiff in the morning, which should be funcycling to work!

So far, 95.4 miles... continuing a slow crawl towards the 10% milestone.

Been a bit up and down lately. not a good training week. very little milage done. am on holidays at end of next week, so trying to get things tidied up at work, meant runing lost out.

Friday 3.7 miles / 32 min

Today 8.77miles / 78 min

11 miles last night in 87 mins. Felt easy. Should be in reasonable shape for the Dublin half in 2 weeks time.

Total to date: 118.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

So how did you go in the half,

It's a great distance, long enough that your really running, but short enough that your not fecked when your done.

P.s. 87 min in a great pace....keep up the good work.

Unfortunately, didn't make the half... managed to pull my calf muscle about 10 days before the race, so have been taking it very handy since.

Ended up having to work that day anyway. Will start posting and training properly again this week.

Back again... been out with injury for a few weeks, and decided I'd put in a good rest period with plenty of stretching, and then take it easy getting back into things.

Added another 10 miles to my total between last Thursday and Sunday.

brings it to 128 miles. Will be taking it slowly for the next few weeks, getting very frustrated with the continous niggles...

another 3.5 easy tonight. total 131.5

3.5m last Thursday and 5.5m today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement