Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New road safety radio ad sexist??

Options
  • 04-07-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

anyone heard that new radio ad the one with the two girls talking basically the bottom line is if you think he is a bad driver dont get in the car with him because men drivers kill women...now statistics are statistics but this kind of blatancy is a bit unfair i think?? pasting men drivers as bad people just aint cool and as you may have guessed i am a male driver :D but still anyone with me??
    i can think of far more females i would think twice about being a passenger in a car with then fellas...commence with argument about if men are better drivers or not..or rather dont

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You don't understand , it's not sexist if you say something bad about men....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeaahhhh ...

My girlfriend gets Passenger roadrage and thinks im captain slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

It's also age-ist, aimed at 17-24 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭blackbox

kingcurls wrote: »
    anyone heard that new radio ad the one with the two girls talking basically the bottom line is if you think he is a bad driver dont get in the car with him because men drivers kill women...now statistics are statistics but this kind of blatancy is a bit unfair i think?? pasting men drivers as bad people just aint cool and as you may have guessed i am a male driver :D but still anyone with me??
    i can think of far more females i would think twice about being a passenger in a car with then fellas...commence with argument about if men are better drivers or not..or rather dont

I just wonder how they use their statistics - for example, have they adjusted for the proportion of journies (or miles driven) where the male drives and the female is the passenger and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it only stops one youngfella from trying to impress his latest catch on the way home by driving way over his actual skill level ...then it can't be sexist enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

That ad is so irritating that I have to switch the radio off till it's over. (The only time I listen to the radio is when I'm in the car.) Only heard the whole thing once, and while I might agree with the message it portrays, it's just too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So that's why they released that flawed and deliberately misleading "statistic" last week (or was it this week?).

Road Safety Ads are usually sexist and ageist.

I have no problem with an ad that says, "Young men - know your limits - slow down", but one which says, "Men drivers kill women" has to be illegal.

I have yet to hear it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Controlling for the number of journeys where girls drive is missing the point: the dangerous young men are the kind of idiot that won't let a girl drive them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've heard it and I have to agree, it's very sexist to say "he drives, she dies"

If they said "he drives, she doesn't want to go so she stays at home and does the ironing" I bet there'd be murder over it.

more here http://www.independent.ie/national-news/male-drivers-to-blame-for-68pc-of-female-road-deaths-1424704.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Zube wrote: »
    Controlling for the number of journeys where girls drive is missing the point: the dangerous young men are the kind of idiot that won't let a girl drive them.

If you think thats sexist then you obvoiusly havent tried getting insurance for your own car when you were 18. Its not sexist its just extortion.

My opinion
    Young Men dont know (or want to know) their limit and so exceed it. All they know is that they have to be a better driver than the guy they just passed out.
    women know their limit and drive way below it.

either way thats a generalisation, until I crashed my car I was the same.
    Wheelspins, handbrake turns, speeding off the trafficlights, flying down country roads at 100mph. Thats not good driving.
    Not killing yourself or putting anybody else in danger is.

• Advertisement

I totally agree that the ad is annyoing, sexist, factually possibly not quite correct ...in short it's bad and cringeworthy.

But ... they have a point.
    We all know the kind of guy whose driving sense goes out the window once he has passengers he can "impress", especially if the passenger is female.

It's just not "cool" to some to drive home safely, without revving the knobs of the engine and getting the tyres to screetch at least once.

The "guys know your limits" -message is a bit lame in that regard; as this type of guy actually is convinced that his driving skills are limitless, that ad simply does not apply to him

So maybe upping the ante and kalling him a killer might make it sink in.

Zube wrote: »
    Controlling for the number of journeys where girls drive is missing the point
    No, it's not.

If the figures were normalised and it turned out that there was no difference in road deaths, i.e. women drivers "killed" just as many as men, would you still support this "he drives, she dies" crap?

All this is basically doing is pandering to the media's love of, "WOMEN - BE AFRAID OF MEN. ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS RAPE YOU, KILL YOU, OR EAT YOUR BABIES".

The RSA needs to be called out on their blatant scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Like most road safety ads.

Its poorly scrited, flawed logic only serves to annoy its target audience, not to mention the greater public in general.

Even though I'm not a young male driver, I still find ads like this exceptionally annoying.

I also think they are counter productive, because if you keep telling people, particularly young men, that they are bad at something, then they will usually not try to be any better than they perceive themselves to be.

seamus wrote: »
    If the figures were normalised and it turned out that there was no difference in road deaths, i.e. women drivers "killed" just as many as men, would you still support this "he drives, she dies" crap?

Yes, because the ad is not aimed at male drivers, it's aimed at dangerous male drivers. The idea is to get the girls to say "I'm not getting in that, you're a maniac". If these young guys have a choice between driving like a idiot or getting their hole...

I think most of them would stick with the cars :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

@WHITE_P

I would be genuinely interested in what kind of advertising you thing would work and would encourage the irresponsible young mae driver to think twice and slow down.

Peter

The closest thing I can find to any reliable statistic is a 1992 American survey which suggests that men on average drive 74% more miles than women do.

When you compare the figures, men do 64% of the driving in an average relationship.

That's an American survey though, which also 16 years out of date. American driving habits are very different to European ones - I would imagine that Irish men do far more driving than Irish women.
    Yes, because the ad is not aimed at male drivers, it's aimed at dangerous male drivers. The idea is to get the girls to say "I'm not getting in that, you're a maniac". If these young guys have a choice between driving like a idiot or getting their hole...
    I've yet to hear the ad, but from others are saying, the ad says nothing about dangerous drivers or young drivers, just male drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm getting a bit sick of all this sexism in relation to the roads. "Men are the most dangerous" "Men will kill you if you get in a car with them". What about the female drivers out there, who from personal experience, are probably the most dangerous and unattentive on the roads? Nobody ever says it because that of course would be "chauvinism" or some other tag, but its about time somebody took a long hard look at their driving habits.

As for this latest radio ad, I've heard it once and will never listen to it again. The RSA just seem to be in a world of their own if they think this is appropriate in any way, and I will be lodging a complaint with the advertising standards.

meep wrote: »
    @WHITE_P

I would be genuinely interested in what kind of advertising you thing would work and would encourage the irresponsible young mae driver to think twice and slow down.

Peter

Better driver education would probably be more effective than any advertising. If you could also teach them to have a little more social responsibility, and not be so arrogant, things might improve. That goes for young female drivers too, as I see more and more of them driving with a real arrogant attitude. (Get out of my way or I'll drive over you).

I've seen numerous women usually in new Mini's, BMW 3 series or similar try bully their way along the roads in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

It just annoys me when these 'statistics' are quoted by the RSA. Whilst on first glance they might technically be accurate, I believe they inevitably carve and sculpt them to portray certain messages.

I think we need a proper breakdown of accidents and road deaths in Ireland and ALL of the factors involved in such incidents should be revealed and published . Until this happens, the powers that be will manipulate these figures and issue generic semi-accurate stats.

It just annoys me when these 'statistics' are quoted by the RSA. Whilst on first glance they might technically be accurate, I believe they inevitably carve and sculpt them to portray certain messages.

To quote Homer: "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

What if it was,

Scene: Women pottering along her in her Opel Corsa, humming away to herself, takes out her lipstick, pulls down the sun visor and starts applying.

Loud bang, slow motion of cyclists head smashing off the windscreen, blood and glass everywhere .

Gets out of car, screaming children everywhere, cyclist brains all over the road. (Think of the children of course)

Cue slogan:

She does her makeup while driving they die.

Don't apply makeup while driving .. From the national safety council, supported by AXA the Insurance A**rapists.

I don't think men or women are better drivers. What about when women are on the rag, their mental cases, they shouldn't be allowed drive around this time at all.
    Cue women rants against sexist comments...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

craichoe wrote: »
    What if it was,

Scene: Women pottering along her in her Opel Corsa, humming away to herself, takes out her lipstick, pulls down the sun visor and starts applying.

Loud bang, slow motion of cyclists head smashing off the windscreen, blood and glass everywhere .

Gets out of car, screaming children everywhere, cyclist brains all over the road. (Think of the children of course)

Cue slogan:

Another young male driver dies as a result of alcohol/speed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

seamus wrote: »
    I've yet to hear the ad, but from others are saying, the ad says nothing about dangerous drivers or young drivers, just male drivers?

Yup, I just heard them say male drivers in the ad.

A friend of mine suggested having an ad that said "she parks, your car dies" and seeing how well that would go down :)
    craichoe wrote:
    Cue slogan:

She does her makeup while driving they die.

At least it would be somewhat qualified, as in "she drives dangerously, they die" as opposed to "she drives at all and they die".

I think we need a proper breakdown of accidents and road deaths in Ireland and ALL of the factors involved in such incidents should be revealed and published . Until this happens, the powers that be will manipulate these figures and issue generic semi-accurate stats.

That's why the gardai now close off the roads after serious accidents and investigate the sceen properly.

What about when women are on the rag, their mental cases, they shouldn't be allowed drive around this time at all.

Time to dawn the body armour, and fire proof suit.

What about when women are on the rag, their mental cases, they shouldn't be allowed drive around this time at all.
    Cue women rants against sexist comments...

That is a) a very crude way of expressing yourself and b) totally uncalled for

consider yourself warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

This wouldn't be much of a problem if women knew their place. (Edit; just as I post Max gets in there !)Aren't front seat passengers more at risk than back seat ones ? Well make them all sit in the back, it's safer plus they won't play around with the radio and heating.

Seriously though, it's bloody common sense that the majority of passengers in a car driving by a male is going to be a female as that's just how the birds and the bees work, so therefore if it's a serious crash it obviously more likely going to be a women killed or seriously injured in the passenger seat.

Can we not just turn this on it's head. Men, don't drive women anywhere as according to the RSA they obviously distract by folling around you causing you to crash. Maybe young men would get cheaper insurance if they promise never to have women in the car ? And what about the statistics for gay men ? Surely if you're a gay man you're at a higher risk of being killed as a passenger being driven by a gay man ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

I'd like to see them putting the resources used in these ads put towards better driver education instead.

I'd say they got quite a nice bill from what ever "creative" team that came up with this one, but I suppose the it's worth the money spent, I mean it must be getting very hard to come up with different angles to say the same thing all the time "male drivers = bad"

• Advertisement

Lads, let's not turn this thread into a women driver slagging match

Advertisement