Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New road safety radio ad sexist??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

That's the point many people are making, it's perfectably acceptable it have a dig at male drivers across the national press, radio and t.v. but don't dare think about mentioning anything about women drivers.

Don't think this thread is descending that way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Jip wrote: »
    That's the point many people are making, it's perfectably acceptable it have a dig at male drivers across the national press, radio and t.v. but don't dare think about mentioning anything about women drivers.

Well the sad truth is, that most of the cars that they have to cut dead and dying bodies out of in the middle of the night were driven by young men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Don't know how to break this to you, women do die in crashes where they're also been driving, but that's not the point of this thread, it's the current RSA advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

peasant wrote: »
    Well the sad truth is, that most of cars that they have to cut dead and dying bodies out of in the middle of the night were driven by young men.

The ad is about all male drivers, not just young male drivers.

Stark wrote: »
    The ad is about all male drivers, not just young male drivers.

Is it?

I've only heard it the once and wasn't paying much attention (I certainly didn't feel targeted by it, just annoyed)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

See the following link for most recent statistic's.

Page 24 breaks down the accidents by gender.

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/upload/File/Road%20Collision%20Fact%20Book%202006.pdf

I still don't agree with the ad.

Bloody dislexia, I meant page 32, but you are right, it is grim reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Page 24 breaks down the accidents by gender.

Page 28 has it by sex and age:

Deaths in various age groups, male/female:

18-20: 29/12
    21-24: 46/8 !
    25-34: 64/15
    35-44: 30/8

Pretty grim stuff for men, especially young men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

With all the talk of male drivers and accidents, has anybody ever stopped to think what percentage of those have been caused by female drivers mistakes? For example female drivers who drive through roundabouts without looking at oncoming traffic, possibly causing male drivers to crash while trying to avoid them, and then driving away from the scene? I wonder how many accidents they have actually caused that resulted in blame being attributed to a male driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

DarkJager wrote: »
    With all the talk of male drivers and accidents, has anybody ever stopped to think what percentage of those have been caused by female drivers mistakes?

You're really reaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Zube wrote: »
    You're really reaching.

I'm not saying anything near 50%, I'm just wondering how many of those accidents were solely the fault of the male driver, and not possibly caused by other factors...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

With all the talk of male drivers and accidents, has anybody ever stopped to think what percentage of those have been caused by female drivers mistakes? For example female drivers who drive through roundabouts without looking at oncoming traffic, possibly causing male drivers to crash while trying to avoid them, and then driving away from the scene? I wonder how many accidents they have actually caused that resulted in blame being attributed to a male driver.

You are right to wonder how many accidents are caused by female drivers that result in other male drivers getting the blame. I have seen it happen, however thankfully only minor incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Have we any idea of the split of drivers on our roads in general by age category to be able to digest these figures a bit more accurately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you have an opinion then express it... http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Have we any idea of the split of drivers on our roads in general by age category to be able to digest these figures a bit more accurately?

Dangerous talk. According to the RSA (and some of the more dogmatic boardsies), only speed loving, drink driving, puppy killing, 19 year old terrorists look for statistics with context.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about the female drivers out there, who from personal experience, are probably the most dangerous and unattentive on the roads?
    Women drivers do lots of small, stupid technical errors.

Men kill themselves and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

craichoe wrote: »
    What if it was,

Scene: Women pottering along her in her Opel Corsa, humming away to herself, takes out her lipstick, pulls down the sun visor and starts applying.

Loud bang, slow motion of cyclists head smashing off the windscreen, blood and glass everywhere .

Gets out of car, screaming children everywhere, cyclist brains all over the road. (Think of the children of course)

Cue slogan:

She does her makeup while driving they die.

Don't apply makeup while driving .. From the national safety council, supported by AXA the Insurance A**rapists.

no, that would also be a reasonable point/ad.

*edit, I think they DID have such an ad in the UK*

seriously, a laugh a little every time I see a bit of bleating about how men aged 18-35 have it rough......The stats are there lads. And god knows there's never been any tv/radio content stereotyping or slaggin off women, esp about their ability to drive. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

yikes i never thought i would get such support when i started this lol. the ad is not aimed at young males specifically the only indication of that is the fact that they are young women in the ad.

i never even thought of the whole "more men on the road" thing before and i think that obviously cooks the books they should rate the stats per capita by that i mean looking at how many male drivers there are and working out percentages based on that it would probably have a fairer result.

im not saying women drivers are worse then men at all im saying that women drivers can be awful drivers as can men my mam for example horrible driver seems to have no fear of speed or slowing even when pulling into a parking space but i have friends my age too in the 18 - 22 age group that i dont feel safe in the car with and they aren't boy racers

heres another direction to look at...anyone can be involved in a crash..anyone good driver or not anything can happen tiredness, moment of weakness resulting in drunk driving it can happen to anyone and thats the bottom line for the record i have never even had so much as one drink and driven and i wouldnt let myself get into that situation i.e planning so that your only option isnt driving home

kingcurls wrote: »
    anyone can be involved in a crash
    Sure, but no amount of education is going to prevent you from having someone random run into you. All you can do is mitigate your chances of being hit and the scal of injury or damage.

However, statisticly young men are 5 times more likely to be involved in an accident, caused by them or their driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jip wrote: »

Can we not just turn this on it's head. Men, don't drive women anywhere as according to the RSA they obviously distract by folling around you causing you to crash. Maybe young men would get cheaper insurance if they promise never to have women in the car ?

MODEDIT

Ahh, Stark ...

this is a family friendly forum :D (supposedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I think the RSA should say it like it is, they are being sexist in the current ad but they could avoid this if they told the real truth.

"does your boyfriend tuck his tracksuit into his socks? Are his recaro bucket seats at a near 180 degree angle? Pencil moustache? Does his Saxo have a the Japanese symbols for "Story Bud" on the side?
    Skangers drive, she dies."

In fairness it's these mongs who leave the road due to speed and some hoop earinged howya gets a facefull of dashboard.

I'd say women are more involved in low speed fender benders alright and that more mature men would be pretty much neutral as far as being dangerous goes.

It's a bad state of affairs that it's more acceptable for them to tar all men with the same brush than single out the ones you hear about on the morning news who couldn't keep their low profile tyres in contact with the country lane at 140km/h.

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    "does your boyfriend tuck his tracksuit into his socks? Are his recaro bucket seats at a near 180 degree angle? Pencil moustache? Does his Saxo have a the Japanese symbols for "Story Bud" on the side?
    Skangers drive, she dies."

Wouldn't life be simple if it was that easy?

Unfortunately the delusional streak of the invincibility gene is dominant in most young males, not just those of a certain background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I heard this ad as well and found it very patronising and annoying, but then again I'm male so I guess I would, regardless of how good or bad my driving is.

I like that they didn't mention the bimbo's driving their Mini Coopers, whilst chatting on the phone/straightening their hair. I've seen the former and heard about the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Better driver education would probably be more effective than any advertising. If you could also teach them to have a little more social responsibility, and not be so arrogant, things might improve. That goes for young female drivers too, as I see more and more of them driving with a real arrogant attitude. (Get out of my way or I'll drive over you).

I've seen numerous women usually in new Mini's, BMW 3 series or similar try bully their way along the roads in recent times.

+1

Anyone that thinks the problems on our roads are caused exclusively by "boy racers" is very, very naive.

Also, it's outrageous that insurance companies can discriminate between young male drivers and young female drivers with similar experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've been in cars with men and women who drive too fast.

Also I was driving the other day and there was some woman behind me in a BMW. I was on the speed limit (100 kph) or just below it and she would vary between driving close to me, then backing off. She also seemed to be drifting from the white line to the yellow line along the side of the road and back.

Of course this starts to affect my driving as I'm constantly looking in the rearview mirror now as I'm convinced she is going to run into me. I checked the rearview mirror a couple of more times to see her turn her head completely and start to look in the back seat at something. I don't know if she had a child in the back or not.

At this point I just slowed down and pulled over partially onto the hard shoulder to let her past so she could drive into someone else. The stupid thing was that she sped past me and then turned off the main road about 800 yards ahead. What was the point in passing me then?

But sure because it was a woman, there'll never be an ad advising us not to get into the car with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

has anyone complained and got a response?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

steve06 wrote: »
    If they said "he drives, she doesn't want to go so she stays at home and does the ironing" I bet there'd be murder over it.

haha epic :p

Oh and I agree with all the post against the ad. Pretty stupid.

If you look at the graph, young males are very much over represented.

Mileage isn't the answer because males 25-34 would clock up much more than males 15-24. Its down to lack of experience and the under-estimation of risks.

Data from RSA (road deaths) and CSO (census).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Zube wrote: »
    Yes, because the ad is not aimed at male drivers, it's aimed at dangerous male drivers. The idea is to get the girls to say "I'm not getting in that, you're a maniac". If these young guys have a choice between driving like a idiot or getting their hole...

I think most of them would stick with the cars :pac:

At the launch the RSA had this comment:
    Dangerous driving kills, and you are more at risk of being killed if you are female aged 17-24 being driven in a car by a male aged 17-24.

The advertisement in no means addresses the fact that their statistics are looking at a specific high risk age group. The fact of the matter is that this age group does represent a disproportionate number of the road accidents (which is why my insurance was over 2 grand as an 20 something driver- but is now a much happier EUR380-400). It does stigmatise male drivers in general- when the statistics (from the RSA) clearly show that if you look at other age groups the percentage of accidents caused by women actually trend massively upwards vastly exceeding those of men- but of course its politically incorrect to say this........

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    has anyone complained and got a response?

Who to- the ASA or the Equality Authority? Neither give a damn. I whacked a very obvious complaint into the ASA recently- they acknowledged the complaint in a timely manner and told me very politely to PFO....... Its not apathy that guys don't complain- its because we quite simply are conditioned as a society to accept having merde thrown at us in the media- because we are guys.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Women drivers do lots of small, stupid technical errors.

Men kill themselves and others.

Statistically, a 25-34 woman is almost 46% more likely to be involved in an accident than a guy (according to the RSAs own figures). A man in the same age group is actually less likely to be involved in an accident that results in an insurance claim. However- there are just over 2.5 times more men driving than women- so naturally there are more men involved in all accidents, including fatal accidents- the statistics don't lie (aren't biometrics a wonderful subject).

Just because I don't drive a Juggernaut doesn't necessarily make me safe to drive one....... The RSA are manipulating statistics to say what they want them to say. What they are saying is factually correct- but so too is the simple fact that women drivers are far likely to be involved in an accident in the first instance.......

Advertisement