Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Limerick (and Surrounds) from US

Options
  • 04-07-2008 4:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello. Was directed to this forum from roadbikereview.com

I'm traveling to Limerick with my wife next week for a few weeks stay. We're visiting her father (she was raised in Limerick) who just retired. We'll be bringing our bikes and were hoping to do some rides around Limerick and maybe out to Dingle. It's been a few years since I last visited and I wished that I'd had my bike then.

Any suggestions on where to find good routes (I've just gotten a Garmin Edge 705) online that I can put on the GPS would be great. Also, will it be possible to buy Garmin 'Plug & play' street maps of Ireland/UK while over, or should I try to acquire that before leaving?

I'm a Cat3 road racer and hoping for some good 60-100 mile routes as well as 20-30 miles routes to do with the wife (also a racer, but she's been off the bike for a month or so).

I did find Limerick CC's website, but couldn't find a way to contact anyone there to find out more informatino on any races or fast group rides in the area. I hope to tag along for their Saturday morning ride.

Any information would be great.
    Thanks.
    mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Happy July 4!

The ring of Kerry seems to be very popular. There is a big charity cycle there this weekend as well.

http://www.irishcyclingtours.com/kerrycircle.htm

I intend to do it a weekend in september myself, for some nice fresh air.

All the best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Welcome to the board and Ireland, I hope the weather will improve by the time you get here and you will enjoy your stay! Dingle is a fair distance (100 miles) from Limerick, so you probably wouldn't get there and back in one day. Might be worth staying down in Kerry though for some of your holiday, as it is a beautiful part of Ireland with a lot of nice cycling- you could do each of the peninsulas. I've only done the Dingle one myself but it was very nice indeed and we are all off down to do the Ring of Kerry (which starts from Killarney) tomorrow, which is meant to be spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

you could do worse than head to castlegregory, then over the conor pass to Dingle. looking back out towards castlegregory from the top of the pass is one of my favourite views in Ireland. I've only driven it yet though, never cycled it :) Dingle is very touristy, and accomodation can be hard to findat times, but Mairin de Barras' pub on the quays does a fantastic chowder. You can also pick up as many aran jumpers as you can dream of, for all your friends and family back home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Riding by yourselves is safe and will allow you to stop to take in the scenery - a bunch of locals that are jaded with seeing the same scenery every week might just want to plough on (or indeed "plow on"!). Definitely head to Dingle and do the Connor Pass. Also, do the loop out to the west of Dingle that takes in Slea Head, Dunquin, etc. Even if it's lashing rain! Btw, you won't see "Dingle" written on any road signs as the law now requires that it be referred to (in all official contexts) by its Irish name which is An Daingean.

If you really do want to ride with some local groups in the general Limerick area, check out Burren Cycling Club. They're located in Ballyvaughan, about an hour from Limerick in the north of County Clare. Not only are they a great bunch of lads and lassies but their training rides take in some of the most unique scenery in the country! You'll find some contact info on the website.

Hey morkm, I've just noticed you're in Austin - have you ever seen the man himself out and about on his bike or is he strictly just a runner nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 morkm

I have seen the man once or twice on the bike, but that's been years now. Did get a chance to ride with Pat McCarty (pro with Slipstream...now Garmin-Chipotle) a few days ago on our weekly fast Tuesday night ride. Pretty neat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the suggested links and see what I can find. We'll be spending a week in Limerick, a week in Czech and then a final week back in Limerick/Dingle/wherever else we fancy. Arriving next Tuesday and really looking forward to it. My wife hasn't been back in 2-3 years, so she's really looking forward to being home for a few weeks.

Thanks again.
    mike

If you like good beer get thee to the Biddy Early brewpub (http://www.beb.ie/) in Inagh, near Ennis in co Clare too, they're re-opened for the summer I believe. Red Biddy is a lovely Irish Red Ale. Blonde Biddy is also a nice pilsner. Another option is out past Dingle, Tig Bhric, a new Kerry brewpub: http://www.tigbhric.com/, but I dunno if they're brewing just yet. I've not made it to visit yet.

kenmc wrote: »
    Another option is out past Dingle, Tig Bhric, a new Kerry brewpub: http://www.tigbhric.com/, but I dunno if they're brewing just yet. I've not made it to visit yet.

Strange that although the site is bilingual, the notice about having to keep children under control is only as Gaeilge. Are the children of overseas visitors allowed to run riot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 morkm

Love good beer. Headed to Czech Republic to split up our 3 week stay to drink in Plzen and in the town where the real Budweiser (Budvar) comes from. We will be sure to try out those local brewpubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

morkm wrote: »
    Love good beer. Headed to Czech Republic to split up our 3 week stay to drink in Plzen and in the town where the real Budweiser (Budvar) comes from. We will be sure to try out those local brewpubs.

And be sure to have some real Guinness when you're over here -that's the best brew there is*

*Not actually the best brew, but we have to defend our own

• Advertisement

And be sure to have some real Guinness when you're over here -that's the best brew there is*

*Not actually the best brew, but we have to defend our own

By 'our own' he of course means Carlow Brewing company, The Franciscan Well (Cork), Porterhouse (Dublin), Messr Maguires (Dublin), Hooker Brewery (Roscommon), etc since Guinness has long since left the shores of 'oursdom' :( Bloody Diageo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

kenmc wrote: »
    By 'our own' he of course means Carlow Brewing company, The Franciscan Well (Cork), Porterhouse (Dublin), Messr Maguires (Dublin), Hooker Brewery (Roscommon), etc since Guinness has long since left the shores of 'oursdom' :( Bloody Diageo.

They're still in James' Gate though sir... not for much longer, but it still counts as Oirish :)

Advertisement