Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and headlight alignment?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My car recently failed its NCT due the the dipped beam headlights aiming too high. The tester explained to me that they checked the level with the light set on the maximum height setting of the headlight adjuster (usually 0, the setting for an unloaded car). Now this is fair enough but is it possible that someone could set the lights to their lowest level of 3 so that they aim low, then remove the fuse for the electric adjuster and set it back to 0. They would then be aiming low and the tester would be none the wiser. Or do they actually check that the electric adjustment works?

I have to have my lights adjusted now anyway so I'm not likely to do it. I had a Mini Cooper S done last year and the tester told me the light were aiming to low to register on the machine, so I don't think too low is a failure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

for the sake of €30 to get them aligned means you are not a hazard to other road users or to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

snowman707 wrote: »
    for the sake of €30 to get them aligned means you are not a hazard to other road users or to yourself

Thanks for that useful advice, but I was asking is it possible to do it, not whether its right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Lights will fail for being too high, too low, too far right/left, or incorrect pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

quenching wrote: »
    Now this is fair enough but is it possible that someone could set the lights to their lowest level of 3 so that they aim low, then remove the fuse for the electric adjuster and set it back to 0. They would then be aiming low and the tester would be none the wiser.

It probably is possible to cheat, but why would you want to?

Advertisement