Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Licenses???

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Quick question to the masses. I know it is possible to have a firearm 'dual' licensed, say you and your father or brother both on the same shotgun or rifle....Now here is my question....If you already have a firearm of that calibre solely in your name, can you be added to a dual license for a firearm of similar calibre??? Say if you had a .22 and your girlfriend (wife for the unfortunate :D, just kidding ;)) wanted to take up a bit of shooting, would it be possible to get a 'dual' license for this firearm???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Afaik there isn't a problem with two people licencing the same gun.
    You would have to pay for the second licence as you cant put someone on the original one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

foxhunter wrote: »
    Afaik there isn't a problem with two people licencing the same gun.
    You would have to pay for the second licence as you cant put someone on the original one.

Yeah, but if you have a .22 rifle already, can you be named on a second???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

should be no bother as long as you have a "legitimate" reason. It might take some convincing to prove this to the super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Jonty wrote: »
    should be no bother as long as you have a "legitimate" reason. It might take some convincing to prove this to the super.

I can't see the problem here it's no different than the normal licence process.
    There isn't a limit on the amount of licences you can have to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No problem at all.regarding the calibres.Have the better half dual liscensed on my 9mm as well.Just costs as much as an original liscense.
    There isnt any restrictionon the amount of liscenses you can hold.There was a "recommendation" circulated back in 1972 or thereabouts to the Garda Supers that it should be limited to three firearms per household,or some suchlike.This of course was taken as Law and Gospel,and became "policy" thussly making life as much fun for gun owners in the 70s&80s:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    No problem at all.regarding the calibres.Have the better half dual liscensed on my 9mm as well.Just costs as much as an original liscense.
    There isnt any restrictionon the amount of liscenses you can hold.There was a "recommendation" circulated back in 1972 or thereabouts to the Garda Supers that it should be limited to three firearms per household,or some suchlike.This of course was taken as Law and Gospel,and became "policy" thussly making life as much fun for gun owners in the 70s&80s:(

Yeah i am pretty lucky...I was born in the mid 80's so i missed the worst of it and got to grow up listening to some pretty good rock! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

foxhunter wrote: »
    I can't see the problem here it's no different than the normal licence process.
    There isn't a limit on the amount of licences you can have to the best of my knowledge.

We can't see a problem, but the powers that be could. I was fobbed off by the local guards when I first went for my own rifle all I got was "Sure doesn't yer auld lad have a rifle - won't that do ya?"

I know they were offering me a "dual" license!!! All I said was I wanted my own rifle so I could go with my dad and not share.(Completely opposite to the OP's situation :D) They were happy enough with that.

Basically what you look for and what you get can be 2 different things if you don't have yourself prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sounds like you ran into some less-than-adaquately-trained gardai Jonty. There's no such thing as a "dual" licence, but one firearm can have an indefinite number of people licenced to possess and use it (and none of them have to actually own it).
    Mac, there's absolutely no legal restriction here. Have fun.

(ps. Mac, it takes 12 muscles to smile, 11 to frown, and pretty much all of them to pull a trigger properly unless you're prone :p )

Advertisement