Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root beer?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Are there any Root Beer Aficionados out there in Ireland or am I the only one?

I just thought people might like to know that this delicious elixir is currently being sold in the newsagents besides knights of the green barbers in the Dundrum town centre. It's Jones soda brand. In fact that shop must have the biggest range of Jones soda flavours i've ever seen in dublin.

Anyone else out there have an up to date listing of places selling root beer? I find that when root beer pops up in a shop it seels for a few months then vanishes, never to return to that place again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Fresh shops sell a few different types afaik.

Any one seen Canada dry here since the summer of '88?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Donnybrook fair do it my other half is obsessed! he loves it... Jones do it too you know that canadian brand that do FUFU berry and cream soda???

Its gonna make a comeback... I think it tastes like deep heat lol:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MJOR wrote: »
    Donnybrook fair do it my other half is obsessed! he loves it... Jones do it too you know that canadian brand that do FUFU berry and cream soda???

I reckon he knows Jones do it, to be fair.

It's the one he talks about in the first post.:pac:

DesF wrote: »
    I reckon he knows Jones do it, to be fair.

It's the one he talks about in the first post.:pac:

Blonde as I am!! DOh:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Cream soda is like fizzy vanilla milkshake, and root beer tastes like non-alcoholic Sambuka. I think we should leave the Americans to it and stick to good ol' stomach-stripping, tooth-rotting coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Moonbaby wrote: »

Not one for Canada dry myself - but there was a big marketing push on this beverage around 1994 in Dublin. I still remember those very funny radio ads!

MJOR wrote: »

Its gonna make a comeback... I think it tastes like deep heat lol:eek:

I do like the Jones cream soda too. Must check out Donnybrook fair - i've not been down to that store in a few years.

Drove through donnybrook the other week and was amazed at the new rugby stand there. Shows how long i've been outta donnybrook.

Root beer is very much a love it/loathe it drink - there is no grey area with it like say diet coke. I love it as you might have guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I think root beer tastes like euthymol lol :P

o driscolls in ballinlough in Cork sells it too if you feel like a drive lol

• Advertisement

Was down in Cork in May - wish I had known that then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Is it still available in Dundrum? Any other locations? I'm in Kildare but its worth the trip, been craving one since Boston last August. My OH keeps asking me to describe it but words fail....

Aye - I bought two more bottles in Dundrum on Friday. But there are only about 6 bottles left in that shop and you know what it's like - once they're gone, they will never appear again in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Dammit.... Almost worth the trip tomorrow. Maybe... :rolleyes:

Donny brook fair might be worth the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Moonbaby wrote: »

in the BMI lounge in Dublin airport :-)

And jones is on sale in dunnes and spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Bump!!!

Found a Root Beer seller in Cork city. LA Bagels on Oliver Plunket Street(about half way down the street) is selling Bundaberg Root Beer at €2.75 a bottle. Pretty nice stuff, reminds me of MUG in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't know how you can stand the taste of it! :/ I live in the US and it is readily available unfortunately, even root beer sweets as well.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have a craving now. Dunnes you say? Must check tomorrow!

MarkR wrote: »
    I have a craving now. Dunnes you say? Must check tomorrow!

Yes. I do say. And dunnes is cheaper for jones.

And has any other spar (besides swords) gone out of jones?

• Advertisement

Checked a few dunnes' so far, no luck so far. I've googled them now, so at least I know what to look for.

single_root_beer.jpg and maybe single_cream_soda.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jones soda is in Ireland? Awesome!!! i love me some root beer and jones is the best i've had.

just so you know, you can buy jones soda online, although i don't know if they ship to Ireland, can't be arsed to set up an account and go through with the order.

www.jonessoda.com

Or you can buy political cola.

[url]Http://www.Campaigncola.com[/url]

Its not root beer though

MarkR wrote: »
    Checked a few dunnes' so far, no luck so far. I've googled them now, so at least I know what to look for.

single_root_beer.jpg and maybe single_cream_soda.jpg

I has in the one in portmarnock a while back. It had a very limited stock though.

Just down the road from pslc

Portmarnock? Might as well be the moon! ;) I can only hope they get it locally soon. Maybe I'll call Fix it Friday. I'll get the nation behind me.

We demand jones.

Or else o.O

Current root beer locations in Dublin (that I am aware of) as of 17th November 2008:

1. That Newsagents in the Dundrum town centre (the one beside Knights barbers on the gorund floor) is still selling Jones root beer for 2.10 a 355ml bottle. they usually have 4 or 5 bottles on the shelf.

2. Fallons and Byrnes - the grocery place on wicklow street (you know the one: essentially a snootified lidl). They are selling 355ml cans of A&W root beer for 1.55.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Forgive me for bumping a few month old topic, i've been getting my root beer fix from here

works out out about 24-25euro for 24 cans

• Advertisement

Forgive me for bumping a few month old topic, i've been getting my root beer fix from here

works out out about 24-25euro for 24 cans
    A&W are great, but it's better when accompanied with one of their Grandpa Burgers... NYOM!

Advertisement