Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems installing XP on new build.

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

So.. I bought a new P5KC motherboard yesterday, and during installation of Windows XP, it crashes.
    The crashes appear to be pretty random, and I either get a bluescreen, or the computer just restarts. The error messages on bluescreens also appear to be more or less random, and they come at various stages of the installation.

All the components below are brand new, except for the graphics cards.
    Here is my setup:
    Motherboard: Asus P5KC, P35, Socket-775, DDR2/DDR3,
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz 1333Mhz
    Memory: OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4 x 1024MB
    Graphics Card: Fatal1ty Geforce 8500 GT, Asus Geforce 7600GTS or ATI X1300 Pro (I have these three available for switching between, currently I've tried both Geforce cards, and the same thing happens. )
    Harddisk: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB S-ATA
    Power Supply: Jeantech Arctic 700W

The most frequent errors at one point was "IRQL not less or equal", and "Page fault in Nonpaged area" but for the last few attempts, I haven't seen either of them.

I am using my own license Windows XP pro, Pre SP version, which was successfully used to install windows on a similar spec Dell computer a while ago.

This is annoying me a lot now.. Help please. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

gbremset wrote: »
    So.. I bought a new P5KC motherboard yesterday, and during installation of Windows XP, it crashes.
    The crashes appear to be pretty random, and I either get a bluescreen, or the computer just restarts. The error messages on bluescreens also appear to be more or less random, and they come at various stages of the installation.

All the components below are brand new, except for the graphics cards.
    Here is my setup:
    Motherboard: Asus P5KC, P35, Socket-775, DDR2/DDR3,
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz 1333Mhz
    Memory: OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4 x 1024MB
    Graphics Card: Fatal1ty Geforce 8500 GT, Asus Geforce 7600GTS or ATI X1300 Pro (I have these three available for switching between, currently I've tried both Geforce cards, and the same thing happens. )
    Harddisk: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB S-ATA
    Power Supply: Jeantech Arctic 700W

The most frequent errors at one point was "IRQL not less or equal", and "Page fault in Nonpaged area" but for the last few attempts, I haven't seen either of them.

I am using my own license Windows XP pro, Pre SP version, which was successfully used to install windows on a similar spec Dell computer a while ago.

This is annoying me a lot now.. Help please. :)

Take out two sticks of RAM or try upping the voltage to 2.0 volts or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gbremset

Spear wrote: »
    Take out two sticks of RAM or try upping the voltage to 2.0 volts or so.

Hmm.. I already tried to take out two sticks of RAM.. I took out both from bay B. Maybe I should have 1 stick in each bay instead of having 2 in bay A?

How/where do I change the voltage? in the bios?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hmm.. I already tried to take out two sticks of RAM.. I took out both from bay B. Maybe I should have 1 stick in each bay instead of having 2 in bay A?

How/where do I change the voltage? in the bios?

Voltage is controlled in the BIOS. Default for DDR2 is normally 1.8V, so try them at 2.0V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

This is usually a memory fault (either faulty RAM or faulty sockets on the board). try booting with 1 stick of ram and if it fails try a different stick in a differrent slot. run memtest and see what it reports.
    try reformatting your hdd also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It could also be a overheating problem, when you installed the cpu and heatsink you did use thermal paste yeah? might be no harm reseating it and making sure there isnt too much ot too little. All you need is a grain of rice sized blob. Put some cling film over your finger and work it into the cpu. The method of using the heatsink to spread it is outdated and dosent work properly.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    It could also be a overheating problem, when you installed the cpu and heatsink you did use thermal paste yeah? might be no harm reseating it and making sure there isnt too much ot too little. All you need is a grain of rice sized blob. Put some cling film over your finger and work it into the cpu. The method of using the heatsink to spread it is outdated and dosent work properly.

The processor came with heatsink with preapplied correct amount of thermal paste, so that shouldn't be a problem. :) But after the other posts here, and talking to a friend, I suspect it's the memory that's not getting enough power. :)
    I'll try it over the weekend and see what happens.. :)

The processor came with heatsink with preapplied correct amount of thermal paste, so that shouldn't be a problem. :) But after the other posts here, and talking to a friend, I suspect it's the memory that's not getting enough power. :)
    I'll try it over the weekend and see what happens.. :)

And here are the results from the norwegian jury.

It was in fact, not the memory power supply (There's no option in the bios to change that, and since I have no floppy, I can't update the bios)
    But when one of the memory sticks were removed, the computer worked perfectly..
    Meaning, one of the sticks were faulty.. :)

Advertisement