Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso on M1 Southbound This Morn 4th July

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Was in the outside lane approaching the port tunnel and i spotted it past the usual place where it is. I was going about 100km/h. Good chance i was caught by it, yeah? Does anyone know how they work? Do they span across the 3 lanes? Obviously if a truck is on the inside, it's not going to snap you, will it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

the gardai are also hiding on the dualcarriageway this morning as you turn off the N7 for the newcastle direction its 80kph and at the lights where it's right for clondalkin, left for grange castle and straight for lucan theyre hiding behind the sign there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I would presume these vans would need to be stabilised to operate effectively. Any lateral movement of the camera would distort their reading and a stationary Transit being passed by an artic is going to rock quite a bit.

I'd appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I would presume these vans would need to be stabilised to operate effectively. Any lateral movement of the camera would distort their reading and a stationary Transit being passed by an artic is going to rock quite a bit.

I'd appeal.

:rolleyes: Yeah, also they may not have taken into account the earths rotational orbit when calibrating, definite grounds for appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

patrickc wrote: »
    the gardai are also hiding on the dualcarriageway this morning as you turn off the N7 for the newcastle direction its 80kph and at the lights where it's right for clondalkin, left for grange castle and straight for lucan theyre hiding behind the sign there.

its called the outer ring road btw.. They weren't there at 8:30 when I passed. Yeah, I've seen them hiding behind the sign a few times there. And they have also had random breath checks there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Was in the outside lane approaching the port tunnel and i spotted it past the usual place where it is. I was going about 100km/h. Good chance i was caught by it, yeah? Does anyone know how they work? Do they span across the 3 lanes? Obviously if a truck is on the inside, it's not going to snap you, will it?

If your on the very outside lane cosine error will help you out big time. (See example below)

figure5.gif

Honestly i've seen the cops in Roscommon shooting Laser at ridiculous angles and on a hill of all places :confused: . I'd love to know who trains these clowns because it was a slow day for them i'd imagine with all the cosine error they got would have shaved alot of the drivers actual speed :cool:

BTW: It tells you this info in thier user manual!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

lynchie wrote: »
    its called the outer ring road btw.. They weren't there at 8:30 when I passed. Yeah, I've seen them hiding behind the sign a few times there. And they have also had random breath checks there too.

couldnt think of the name of it this morning cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Dont get too nervous just yet chief. I know someone who asked the exact same question about 8 weeks ago at 630am and have yet to see the penalty notice :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If your on the very outside lane cosine error will help you out big time. (See example below)

figure5.gif

Honestly i've seen the cops in Roscommon shooting Laser at ridiculous angles and on a hill of all places :confused: . I'd love to know who trains these clowns because it was a slow day for them i'd imagine with all the cosine error they got would have shaved alot of the drivers actual speed :cool:

BTW: It tells you this info in thier user manual!!

Wasn't there a professor (IIRC) in the UK who tried to challenge the system using this argument - but failed?

kbannon wrote: »
    Wasn't there a professor (IIRC) in the UK who tried to challenge the system using this argument - but failed?

Not quite, professor in question (Dr Michael Clark) was refering to a method called the 'slip effect' .Basically its caused by an unsteady aim or an unethical officer (Israeli police are known to use this method to trap motorists). The LTI 20-20 & LTI Ultralyte guns (as used by the Gardaí) have error trapping to prevent uneven aim but a slip of the wrist is overlooked it would seem and can add alot to the actual speed reading recorded. These Error (E1, E2, E3) are common errors on these guns.

UltraLyteErrorCodesA.jpg

Cosine error will ALWAYS work in the drivers favour, however the 'slip effect' will always work in the cops favour.

Unfortunately i think some motorists may have become victim to this method already here as the guards don't use the shoulder stock or the tripod at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/09_september/12/inside.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Is it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Gatso was on M1 northbound on Sat 5th July past its usual spot and at the meeting of the 2nd slip road from the M50 and M1. I was in the inside lane doin about 86 (80 zone) when I passed it. Should I expect a ticket?
    Cheers

Gatso was on M1 northbound on Sat 5th July past its usual spot and at the meeting of the 2nd slip road from the M50 and M1. I was in the inside lane doin about 86 (80 zone) when I passed it. Should I expect a ticket?
    Cheers

Funny how the amount of speed checks has increased since the current ecomonic 'situation'...Coincidence or something more sinsiter....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Funny how the amount of speed checks has increased since the current ecomonic 'situation'...Coincidence or something more sinsiter....:pac:

indeed :eek:

since Paddys weekend here if lost count of the amount of times ive seen them out checking speed taxing motorists on some of our safest roads here.

the Ballincollig bypass in Cork must be a goldmine as i see them perched up slip roads there almost weekly clocking cars from the rear. its a motorway class road practically so im not surprised.

that and the commons road in blackpool by the entrance to the sunbeam does great business too. 2 lanes each way 50kmh limit = turkey shoot :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The talivans are always out AFAIK. There has been no increase in their appearances. They are just obviously being sited along busier stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

its always where the roads are the safest that they do it though and ive seen more traps here in Cork in the past few months than i had in my ten years of driving before :eek:

speed traps will definitely make up some of the deficit this year i reckon :rolleyes:

if you cant see the link between the 2.............

ostrich313gv1.jpg

Just look below at these marvels of safety. Thank God for the Traffic Core: :rolleyes:

Garda doing Speed Checks on Safe Dual Carriageway

speedmcyclistat4.jpg

GardaSpeedCheck.jpg

Just for Humour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7USyEMVsy88

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

I've just came back from a trek from Nottingham to Holyhead. The speed camera system they have in place over there is unbelievable compared to Irelands.

They have sets of cameras in BUILT UP AREAS. School crossings, town centres, villages, housing estates.

We have gatso vans on dual carriageways.

Advertisement