Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bantry ? suggestions on places to eat things to do

Options
  • 04-07-2008 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi folks am heading down to bantry next week for a few days, any suggestions where to eat, and things to do, ( outdoor activities)

is there any places to hire a boat in bantry?

whats the maritime hotel like?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Hi Ein, hope you haven't hit the road already ...

I'm from the area.

Restaurant recommendations (in the town itself) -

El Gitano (on New Street last building on r.h.s. going up town) - mexican style - casual but good food & good atmosphere.

The Fish Kitchen (also on New Street) over the Fish Shop - just opened - excellent food very reasonably priced, you must go.

O'Connors Seafood - Excellent posh award winning restaurant on The Square.

Pub Grub - The Snug on the square.

Coffee/Snack - The Stuffed Olive (must try) and De Barras cafe (casual very busy)

Pub - Ma Murphys (next to Supervalu) - Old Quaint cool, beer garden

The Lobby (across the road)

Maritime HOtel beautiful, new modern trendy. Bar cool. Rooms I've heard amazing. Leisure club great. Don't know about the food in the hotel restaurant, I haven't tried it.

Things to do ...

Not sure depends what your interests are

Cinemax in The Square

Music & LIterary Festival on this week in Bantry House if you were able to get tickets ?

I think there are boat trips to Whiddy Island.

Travel to Glengarriff (20 mins) beautiful Forest Park with mapped walk ways. Great playground if you have kids :confused:

Nearest best beach (if weather improves) Barleycove

Scenic drive - Sheeps Head Way

So much more but don't know what you are into - try Tourist Office in town in The Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

mum4ever wrote: »
    Hi Ein, hope you haven't hit the road already ...

I'm from the area.

Restaurant recommendations (in the town itself) -

El Gitano (on New Street last building on r.h.s. going up town) - mexican style - casual but good food & good atmosphere.

The Fish Kitchen (also on New Street) over the Fish Shop - just opened - excellent food very reasonably priced, you must go.

O'Connors Seafood - Excellent posh award winning restaurant on The Square.

Pub Grub - The Snug on the square.

Coffee/Snack - The Stuffed Olive (must try) and De Barras cafe (casual very busy)

Pub - Ma Murphys (next to Supervalu) - Old Quaint cool, beer garden

The Lobby (across the road)

Maritime HOtel beautiful, new modern trendy. Bar cool. Rooms I've heard amazing. Leisure club great. Don't know about the food in the hotel restaurant, I haven't tried it.

Things to do ...

Not sure depends what your interests are

Cinemax in The Square

Music & LIterary Festival on this week in Bantry House if you were able to get tickets ?

I think there are boat trips to Whiddy Island.

Travel to Glengarriff (20 mins) beautiful Forest Park with mapped walk ways. Great playground if you have kids :confused:

Nearest best beach (if weather improves) Barleycove

Scenic drive - Sheeps Head Way

So much more but don't know what you are into - try Tourist Office in town in The Square.

Thanks for the info having a pint on whiddy island just now in bank house... Never seen so many flies its horrible.. There feckin horrible u can't walk anywhere without them buzzin all over u ......

Stuck here until 2pm until ferry comes....

The maritime is ok.. Very disorganised.. Rooms nice.. But defo not a 4*... Food is nice though..jacuzzi broken, internet doesent work...loads of people complaining...

Advertisement