Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car I wanna scrap is clamped

Options
  • 04-07-2008 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I'm planning on scrapping my car in the next few days. Unfortunately it got clamped out in Airside there yesterday! If i refuse to pay the clamping fee what would be the worst that could happen? I want to scrap it anyway so can i tell them to take the car as payment and **** off!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on where it's parked.

Whatever kind of costs will be incurred by your parking will be sent to you. If the council have to lift and remove it, they will also charge you for towing, storing and crushing the vehicle.

Long story short, it will be less hassle and cost in the medium term to just get it unclamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

scrap it with the clamp on it !!!

:D

PS: don't take this advice seriously. I've no experience in this matter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ShayK1 wrote: »
    scrap it with the clamp on it !!!

:D

PS: don't take this advice seriously. I've no experience in this matter

++1 !!

And you'll be doing the next motorist a favour........by 'taking out' a clamp ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Hire a tow truck and pick it up yourself? If anyone asks - your are from NCPS or one of those. Then you can do what you like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on where it's parked.

Its in a private car park (one of those big outlets with B&Q/Atlantic Homecare/etc) wouldnt have anything to do with county council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Obscure wrote: »
    Its in a private car park (one of those big outlets with B&Q/Atlantic Homecare/etc) wouldnt have anything to do with county council.

There's a scrappies across the road @ airside so ask him does he want your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

how'd you get clamped at a B & Q ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

There's a scrappies across the road @ airside so ask him does he want your car.

Doubt if he wants to take the clamp as well, would constitute theft!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Obscure wrote: »
    If there are parking fees in the car park then you would be liable for them.

Otherwise just remove the clamp (I hear deflating the tyre and using a jack to give you some room can work). You're under no obligation to pay an unclamping fee on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

seamus wrote: »
    If there are parking fees in the car park then you would be liable for them.

Otherwise just remove the clamp (I hear deflating the tyre and using a jack to give you some room can work). You're under no obligation to pay an unclamping fee on private property.

Hmmm sounds interesting method.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hope you get out of it without paying those bastard clampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

A while back I heard a lot of revving going on outside my house. I looked out the door to discover a dense black cloud and stench of burning rubber.

A guy was in a car revving the engine, obviously in gear as the clamped front wheel was spinning. His mate was bouncing the wing of the car up and down.

I presume the strategy was to lift the wheel off the ground so it could spin then drop it on the ground and see if the torque would break the clamp.

I didn't see what happened but there was no trace of them, the car or the clamp 5/10 mins later.

Anyone got any more info on this, obviously am NOT recommending this as a sane method of removing a clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just drive it to the scrap yard, clamp on, a la homer simpson in new york. KA-THUNK! KA- THUNK! imagine how satisying it would be. also, make sure to film it for youtube fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

zuroph wrote: »
    just drive it to the scrap yard, clamp on, a la homer simpson in new york. KA-THUNK! KA- THUNK! imagine how satisying it would be. also, make sure to film it for youtube fame.

I was just thinking the same thing! Now that would be one hell of a sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

zuroph wrote: »

Now thats some thing i'd love to see :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bdixon

Hi

I was wondering did you scrap the MX5 .

I am looking for the seats from an MX5 for a Triumph Spitfire project.

Any help?

Thanks

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Despite the old thread i'll post anyway http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=xZeSzPdilvQ Clamping the clampers-i love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just take off the plate and discs and leave it there...

Edit: just saw the date, never mind

Edit again: Future reference, just burn it out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

You're a few days too late. The skangers that set fire to Euro Cycles could've set your car alight at the same time. Problem solved!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Phoole wrote: »
    You're a few days too late. The skangers that set fire to Euro Cycles could've set your car alight at the same time. Problem solved!!! :D

he's 4 months early by my count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it's ok to close this now, it's old and tired ...:D

@bdixon
    Send the OP a private message and ask your question there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement