Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

data protection in credit union online service

• 04-07-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

does anyone know if theres a data protection problem with this system.

When you register for a credit union online account you pick a username and passphrase. The username and passphrase are sent by email to your supplied email address as a reminder (thats the bit Im asking about as people believe email to be unsecure). The PIN is sent in a secure envelope by post to the account holders address.

Would the data protection commissioner consider this an unsecure system becuase part of the details are sent by email. You MUST have all three aprts to be able to log in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

I do not see how there can be a breach of personal data without the PIN number sent to the legitimate account holders address.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rhonda9000 wrote: »
    I do not see how there can be a breach of personal data without the PIN number sent to the legitimate account holders address.

Unless it was fixed, but I reported a problem to a credit union about a security risk on their online system which could lead to being allowe see account data. I was never contacted since I reported it, and iv no idea if the problem still remains.

There are ways that people can break into systems without security codes - but a decent secure system can avoid this.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

No is the answer. Can you contextualise why you think it is? ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

just like I said someone thought this system would be unsecure because the passphrase is exposed in the email and "anyone" could hack into it. i should also add that they believe the government reads their emails. However its a concern i had to look into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Delete the e-mail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement