Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how come all music stations are the same

• 04-07-2008 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

2fm , 98 , fm 104 , today fm
    they all play chart music with the odd dose of hits from the very recent past ( early 80,s at the oldest )
    how come there are no stations in ireland that play music from the 60,s and 70,s , surely there would be a market for such a station

then again if you look at the music channells on sky tv , the only chanell that plays anything old is VH1 classic and even it doesnt go back further than the late 70,s for the most part
    you baschically have 20 channells playing current hits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Stations that play older stuff end up having to change their format as no one listens to them unless they play chart.

In conclusion... people are stupid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

People who want to listen to older music or different music know it's not on teh radio so they listen to cds and mp3 players and such. Radio stations don't play older or different music because the people who would listen to it are listening to cds or mp3 players...

Vicious circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Phantom fm ----Not the same, and my personal radio Saviour
    Listen online www.phantom.ie or 105.2 FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

egan007 wrote: »

Stopped listening to radio over 5 years ago. Sick of 'funny' DJs talking shyte and not enough music.
    My MP3 player broke recently, so I thought I was doomed to go onto my phone radio.. found 105.2 and Thank the Lord!!! Music!!! Good Music!!! And lots of it!! It's a pure joy in the morning and way home. Have found lots of new music through it.
    It's the best music radio station out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Because the majority of people as monkeyfudge pointed out, (are stupid) enjoy humming along to sanitised trite as 'backround music' rather than listening to anything that may stimulate an emotional response of some sort.

Irish radio is seriously fcuked though. it's the same 20 tracks on rotation all day everyday - always a safe mix of r&b (usher, beyonce) and bedwetter soft indie (the feeling, one republic). Mindnumbing. It's bad when dance music has been largely marginalised as an extremety on afternoon radio.

Even Phantom would be hard pushed to play anthing different in the afternoon , spikey-guitar indie haircut bands with the same hi-hat beat.

Just turn it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

There's alot of good points here. All well made of course.

Aswell as those, it's Because loads of stations (Particularly Spin in Dublin) pay the BCI not to licence such stations because that would be taking away from there market share.

More stations = More competition = less listeners = less profit.

That's all it is. Money. Radio stations see listeners as targets for advertising. So therefore they don't care what 's new and different. They care about replicating a winning, profitable formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

egan007 wrote: »

Tbh I don't think they're any better than the 'mainstream' stations. They just spew out a load of mediocre 'indy' crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Because they hire DJs like Tim Kelly,Tony Fenton,Nikki Hayes,Ruth Scott etc who play the same music.They are afraid to go against the grain of the modern jock and decide they do not want to offend anybody so they stick the music (pop) which does'nt hurt anybody (except for people with taste in music).

Therefore we're stuck with bland personalities like Damien Farelly and Will Leahy.
    I would add more names but they would only be relevant to Galway or the WHESST:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Advertising really. They've got to go for the biggest draw in order to make any money at all - and chart music seems to be the biggest draw, i.e. the most popular among the most valued demographics.
    Advertising and sponsorship are radio's ONLY source of revenue. Newspapers rely on advertising/sponsorship but they also generate circulation revenue. Radio doesn't have the equivalent: listeners don't pay in the mornings when they turn on the radio, nor do they subscribe to listen to the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Paddy P

Radio collectively, in a way, sucks a** nowadays, pretty much like McDonalds, or Microsoft, or other global corporate phenomena. They're all part of the greedy capitalist system that screws the world up. Radio there to entertain you?.. Think again. Jeez I sound like Jim Corr, but you know what I mean. Every second, selling you some poxy thing you don't need. B**locks to that I say. Ok, rant over.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Aswell as those, it's Because loads of stations (Particularly Spin in Dublin) pay the BCI not to licence such stations because that would be taking away from there market share.

Well done you on having one of the most ill-informed comments I've read on this board to date. If the independent radio sector do indeed pay the BCI not to licence any more radio stations that explains why in the last ten years they've licenceed (there may be a Dublin bias but that where I'm from).
    Spin 1038
    Dublins Country
    Q102
    Today FM
    Newstalk
    Phantom 105.2
    as well as the new upcoming easy listening 'semi' national station
    the new classic rock station
    iRadio in the West
    iRadio in the midlands
    Beat 102-103
    Red FM Cork
    Life FM Cork
    Spin South West

Several community radio stations.
    dozens of part-time RSL stations.

And I guess you'd better tell the good people of CKR, Radio Kilkenny, Tipp Mid West, and North West Radio about how you can pay the BCI to stop competition, because they all LOST their licences to other market entrants.

I'm also open to correction here, but as far as I can remember the independent radio sector no longer pay the BCI anything. Its funded by the exchequer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Paddy P wrote: »
    Radio collectively, in a way, sucks a** nowadays, pretty much like McDonalds, or Microsoft, or other global corporate phenomena. They're all part of the greedy capitalist system that screws the world up. Radio there to entertain you?.. Think again. Jeez I sound like Jim Corr, but you know what I mean. Every second, selling you some poxy thing you don't need. B**locks to that I say. Ok, rant over.:mad:

you know what you need

FIGHTCLUB , lets take off our shirts and wrestle our frustrations at this pointless world away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Because they hire DJs like Tim Kelly,Tony Fenton,Nikki Hayes,Ruth Scott etc who play the same music.They are afraid to go against the grain of the modern jock and decide they do not want to offend anybody so they stick the music (pop) which does'nt hurt anybody (except for people with taste in music).

Therefore we're stuck with bland personalities like Damien Farelly and Will Leahy.
    I would add more names but they would only be relevant to Galway or the WHESST:P

So what do you suggest, another real music station like Phantom? Yeh, cause LOTS of people clearly want to hear that type of music.

The majority of stations play similar pop stuff because IT WORKS.

You're not going to change the world with your own personal preference of music nor will the likes of 98 or 104 bow to your superior knowledge so you'd better build a bridge pretty soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I liked the american format with the fast talking DJ ,with jingles and funny inserts between the hits of the day .My ideal radio station would play a mixture of artists from the last 50 years of all generes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The problem is that that format has been tried, and nobody (except you about three other people...) listens to it.

Radio formats end up the way they are because thats what gets audiences. FM spectrum is too limited and the resulting costs of broadcasting too high for niche stations to survive as is. DAB will open this market up a bit, but RTE have got in there early and done their best to fill every niche - theres an oldies station, a dance station, a rock station, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

irish_bob wrote: »
    2fm , 98 , fm 104 , today fm
    they all play chart music with the odd dose of hits from the very recent past ( early 80,s at the oldest )
    how come there are no stations in ireland that play music from the 60,s and 70,s , surely there would be a market for such a station
    then again if you look at the music channells on sky tv , the only chanell that plays anything old is VH1 classic and even it doesnt go back further than the late 70,s for the most part
    you baschically have 20 channells playing current hits

You'll soon have an answer to that...

http://www.4fm.ie/music.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Big Tone wrote: »
    You'll soon have an answer to that...

http://www.4fm.ie/music.html

When's "soon" ??? I'm not over 45 but I can't wait to have a proper "music mix" with a decent level of variety and choice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 carolforpeace

The DJs don't get a say in what they can play most of the time. They're given a certain playlist and have to stick to it.

What really annoys me is the little amount of Irish artists played on radio. Why can't we celebrate our homegrown talent?! Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

The DJs don't get a say in what they can play most of the time. They're given a certain playlist and have to stick to it.

What really annoys me is the little amount of Irish artists played on radio. Why can't we celebrate our homegrown talent?! Madness.

A minimum of 20-30% of daily music output on any radio station licenced by the BCI is Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    When's "soon" ??? I'm not over 45 but I can't wait to have a proper "music mix" with a decent level of variety and choice.....

Its a multi-county station scheduled to be on air by October. It will be somewhat similar to Choice FM the temporary station from a couple of years ago. Keep an eye on their website for updates, or you can email them info@4fm.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

and a lot of DJs play the same stuff over and over again every day on their shows, they must never change the playlist.
    it can't be that hard to change your playlist with realplayer, you don't even need to carry a big load of CDs with you anymore, because its all on your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

irish_bob wrote: »
    you know what you need

FIGHTCLUB
    You just broke the first rule...

Advertisement