Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Eamon Ryan's NGN plan any good? Or REALISTIC?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

I submitted my response and to my surprise. This morning I received an invitation to attend the forum being held in Dublin Castle at the end of September. There's also an on-line event for those who can't make the trip.

maybe they are going to listen.......???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nohopengn wrote: »
    I submitted my response and to my surprise. This morning I received an invitation to attend the forum being held in Dublin Castle at the end of September. There's also an on-line event for those who can't make the trip.

maybe they are going to listen.......???
    i got the invitation also last week, will probably do the online event

Does anyone know, is there any EU regulatory issues that would restrict the government from creating a country-wide open access NGN Infrastructure giving wholesale access to all operators. This would include buying back any privately owned fibre infrastructure that was of any significance e.g. Eircoms, BT etc etc

One would imagine that a system like that would allow for much cheaper IP to be brought into the country? I'm presuming of course that this new all-Island NGN would be managed by an independant body and its aim would be to deliver cheap, fast IP all over the country using a multitude of transmission methods. In an ideal world this new NGN entity would also be a centre of excellence with regard to developing new NGN applications.....

Just reviewing the agenda:
    Options B & C seem the most relevant with regards to an actual roll-out.

Breakout Topics to choose from:-
    A) Ireland’s Competitive Advantage
    B) Models for Open Access
    C) Optimal Use of State Assets
    D) Best Practice in State Services
    E) Evolving Regulatory Model

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Does anyone know, is there any EU regulatory issues that would restrict the government from creating a country-wide open access NGN Infrastructure giving wholesale access to all operators. This would include buying back any privately owned fibre infrastructure that was of any significance e.g. Eircoms, BT etc etc

One would imagine that a system like that would allow for much cheaper IP to be brought into the country? I'm presuming of course that this new all-Island NGN would be managed by an independant body and its aim would be to deliver cheap, fast IP all over the country using a multitude of transmission methods. In an ideal world this new NGN entity would also be a centre of excellence with regard to developing new NGN applications.....
    Theres no law against it, the only laws as far as im aware are anti competitive laws, where semi state bodies have monopolies preventing competitors from competing on a level playing field( e.g. Eircom years ago, Aer Lingus ). If the state owned e.g. a fibre to the home network and leased it to operators/isps then theyre not preventing operators from doing anything and if an operator wanted to introduce their own FTTH then the government could sell lines

Semi state bodies are allowed to compete but theyre not allowed large handouts from the government to stay afloat( egain Aer Lingus in the late 80's/early 90's )

The UK recently rejected government installation of FTTH and decided that they should concentrate on helping private companies to achieve network rollout of it instead, compared to Sweden where their government has done this already

The only relevant outcome from the next meeting has to be a plan to help operators roll out FTTH in cities/suburbs initially then moving to rural areas afterwards( whether through some 5-10 year plan or whatever ). Whether its the government which do it and sell it afterwards or help private companies to do it is up in the air.
    According to some recent study, by 2010 the minimum requirement for just regular browsing will be 10mb/sec( ill dig out the link, havnt got time at the mo ), also mobile technology is slow to advance in speeds to the consumer even if the technology exists for faster networks( as it does ) the consumer will be screwed on price nad uptake to reduce pricing of such services is usually slow

Ireland is stuck in a serious catch 22, because we have a low population, companies like BT/Smart rolling out their own exchanges are finding it slow to get their return on investment, eircom have huge coverage but have no interest in investing. UPC have the best chance( because they can provide tv, phone & broadband in 1 package ) but thats limited to towns & cities as is Digiwebs Metro. Absolutely no company is interested in rural areas and thats where the government need to invest

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The government pretty much already do this with the MAN's. The government built fibre optic rings around many towns and cities in Ireland and these networks are now managed for the government by e-net, which allows open and affordable access to any company.

However there isn't really a great need to do it nationally, the ESB and Bord Gais have opened up their fibre networks to everyone and have connected to the MAN's and it is relatively cheap.

There might be some argument that it might make it easier and more consistent if it was all managed by one company.

There is actually loads of fibre in all our roads around Ireland. This really isn't the problem, the problem is getting the fibre over the last mile to each persons home.

• Advertisement

Kurtis Lindqvist from NETNOD in Sweden said the Swedish gov. estimated that by 2013 a min. of 10Mbps would be required to use basic Internet. I'm sure there are probably other studies which estimate 2010...?

With regard to the MANS - yeah they are good, but from a value for money point of view the gov. made a balls of things. They created rings around towns and in many cases no access to the rings - what was that about?

The model in the uk, where they setup an independant body (called NGNuk) to develop a framework - looks interesting... however if our end-game is to be up there with the Japanese and South Koreans (and we should have those aspirations) - then I think we may need something a little bit more progressive..... it's probably going to annoy some operators in the short-term but this is about the future of the country.... the greater good and all that icon7.gif

with regard to last mile distribution - mmw technologies now allow for multi-gigabit transmissions using regulated 'E Band' spectrum.

Once there is LoS these type of solutions could easily be setup to deliver gig access to bus. centres, schools, community centres, libaries, apartments etc...

Advertisement