Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #40 - In Flames - Come Clarity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Finally In Flames get their first AOTW! Not the last I hope.

Come Clarity is a great, trashy album with some really memorable songs - standouts for me are Dead End, Pacing Death's Trail, Scream, Vacuum and my clear favorite Crawl Through Knives.
    Unfortunately the production on this album isn't kind to the ears - very fuzzy and tinny - so perhaps the best album for new recruits is ASOP, however CC is a far more aggressive affair and definitely a great choice for AOTW.

In Flames We Trust :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

haven't listened to 'em in a while but they're definitely a great band to wheel out every now and then for a good listen. one of those bands that once you pick up one track, you'll keep listening to each album until you're deaf.

i also liked the soilwork teamwork they did... not quite sure how to describe what they were doing. sharing the costs of the same video? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm not mad on this album to be honest... For me, The Jester Race is their crowning achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I'm not mad on this album to be honest... For me, The Jester Race is their crowning achievement.

Really? It's definitely a brilliant album, but it tends to chug along in places with those strong melodies repeated over - also, despite the fact that Anders' deep growl was cooler, I prefer his vocal versatility from Colony on.
    Their best album for me is a toss-up between Colony and Clayman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The Jester Race is their crowning achievement.

True. Or Reroute to Remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Yes! Finally we get some In Flames on Album of the Week. I first heard of them after I got a tape copy of The Jester Race back in 1996 or 1997 and I have to say I wasn't all that impressed at the time. I didn't really listen to them too much until I heard Reroute to Remain in 2002. I very quickly revised my opinion of the band and I've been a big fan ever since :).

I remember looking forward to Come Clarity for a good while and it certainly didn't disappoint. It has some absolutely fabulous guitar harmony parts, some great melodies and plenty of seriously heavy riffing.

I'm looking at the track listing now and trying to pick a favourite and I can't :). Highlights for me are the title track, Dead End, Leeches, Take This Life, Reflect The Storm and Crawl Through Knives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm not mad on this band to be honest.

They seem to fit a certain mould, while they are good I admit, I just don't think I've listenened to anything of theirs that moved me in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'd have to agree with Joe_Dull here, definitely either Colony or Clayman for me from In Flames. I'd probably lean towards Clayman between those two depending on my mood.

Great choice on AoTW anyway, vacuum being the highlight from CC for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Listening to this album right now. A fine choice, unquestionably my favourite In Flames album: opens strong, well paced right the way though, great harmonies with plenty of depth, and won't leave you bored by the end. (unlike the new one).

A fine piece of metal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I'd definately rate Whoracle or Jester Race far higher than anything since clayman (which is OK), their only truely bad album imo is Reroute to Remain, since then they have got a bit of their creative spark back. Come Clarity is a solid instalment, the intro is especially striking, Take This Life really grabs you by the nuts and gets things going nicely, and the songs of this album work really well live, Crawl Through Knives especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Listening to this album right now. A fine choice, unquestionably my favourite In Flames album: opens strong, well paced right the way though, great harmonies with plenty of depth, and won't leave you bored by the end. (unlike the new one).
    Ah now, I think I have to stick up for A Sense of Purpose here. The closing track of Come Clarity is an ambient piece suitable for sending a newborn baby off to sleep :). Do you really think it's better than March To The Shore off A Sense of Purpose?
    Pugsley wrote: »
    I'd definately rate Whoracle or Jester Race far higher than anything since clayman (which is OK), their only truely bad album imo is Reroute to Remain, since then they have got a bit of their creative spark back. Come Clarity is a solid instalment, the intro is especially striking, Take This Life really grabs you by the nuts and gets things going nicely, and the songs of this album work really well live, Crawl Through Knives especially.
    I honestly still can't believe that so many people dislike Reroute To Remain. I think it's a fantastic album. Songs like Cloud Connected, System, Trigger and the title track are excellent and well worth a listen.

That reminds me, I sat down a couple of years ago to burn a CD for the car with an In Flames best of and I had to give up and extend it across two CDs because I couldn't cut the track list down to fit on one CD :). Given that it was before Come Clarity came out I think I may have to do it across three CDs the next time!

Advertisement