Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cows/Dogs and poop?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

Well where im living there is acres of land around which the landlord puts his 124 dairy cows in to graze! The only thing seprating the garden we have to his grazing fields is an electric wire so when my dogs go out do to there business they tend to go of into the grazing fields to do it (I think the prefer going in the longer grass)
    Anyway to cut a long story short,the neighbour next door asked me if the landlord had seen them going in there to go and had he given out about it?? I was confused as to why but he hasnt said anything to us and he hasnt seen them going in there. He then went on to tell me that cause the dogs are doing there business in the field the cows will pick up Parvo off there poop :confused::confused:
    Is this true? My dogs have been vaccationed against parvo and recieve there yearly booster when the date comes around. Can cows pick up parvo from my dogs even tho there not carrying it?
    Anyone that may know of this I would love to hear from them,this may be a big thing and we may have to leave if this is the case,his cows are easily worth 3,000 and we couldnt afford to pay for a cow never mind more if its true.

Someone help :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

If i can remember correctly livestock can pick up the lepto virus not sure about the parvo virus been honest, but i do recall reading that if a dog with lepto urinates in grass that livestock can pick up the virus.

I have never heard of a cow/cattle picking up canine parvo virus.

Found this :
    Leptospirosis
    Leptospirosis is a re-emerging disease of great importance in both rural and urban areas. It thrives when the climate is warm and moist, and as a result, is most common in the spring and fall. It is spread by contact with urine from infected “host species”, which can include: raccoons, skunks, mice, voles, cattle, and pigs. Dogs can come into contact with contaminated urine in their environment in the form of water dishes, shallow ponds or puddles. The disease can range from mild to fatal, often causing severe kidney failure and liver disease. Furthermore, the organism is transmissible to humans, and care must be taken to ensure all areas of possible contamination be disinfected. Vaccination for dogs with potential exposure is recommended because of the serious illness associated with this disease.

But it doesnt suggest below that parvovirsus can infect cattle.
    Canine Parvovirus
    Canine Parvoviral Enteritis is a serious and not uncommon disease in unvaccinated puppies. The virus destroys the cells in the intestines, causing vomiting, diarrhea, and intestinal bleeding. Immune suppression can also result when the virus infects the bone marrow. For some unknown reason, there is evidence that Doberman Pinchers, Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, and Labrador Retrievers are more susceptible to infection. The virus persists for a long time in its environment, and thrives in unsanitary conditions. The vaccine for Canine Parvovirus is given to puppies in combination with the other core vaccines at 8, 12, and 16 weeks, and then once yearly.

Bovine parvovirus commonly infects the intestinal tract of cattle, but does not cause clinical disease; called also Hadenvirus or hemadsorbing enterovirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Thanks a mill for that shinners,wasnt sure if what he was telling me was true but I just wanted to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I can't find anything that definitely says that cows can get canine parvovirus. There is a bovine parvovirus that may mean there is a myth that cows can catch parvo from dogs. But it's possible that they could be linked also.

However, one definite worry you should have from your dogs going unsupervised into the fields where cows graze is your dogs eating the cows poop. Ordinarily this isn't a huge problem, but if the farmer has just wormed his cattle,as they are likely to do quite regularly, and your dog goes for a snack your dog could become very seriously ill and could die.

Maybe it's time to do something about proper fencing?

Hey khuntchops,

Not 100% on what i have said, but i havent came across anything on cattle getting canine parvovirus and have tried googling it but found no links to the two. Im not sure so if some one does know please post up!! As i would like a definate answer to it.

I did know about the lepto but if your dogs are vaccined then it shouldnt be a problem, i would speak to the landlord and see what he says. Or ask the neighbour to explain how cattle would contract a canine parvo virsus.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that carwash,my dogs are indoor dogs and whenever I let them out to go im there watching them,there never just left off out to do or go whenever so the cow poop isnt an issue but thanks for the heads up on it never knew! The neighbour said he can pick it up from eating there poop,he said that theres parvo in the poop and when cows eat it its passed to them that way,this is a man who doesnt own a dog but says his uncle said this his aunt said that o_O
    As for the fence issue,ive said it to the landlords sister who seems to be dealing with the renting now as the other fellas to busy with his cows and nothing has happened,I will mention it again next time she comes up! Scary thing to open your door and see at least 124 huge dairy cows and 4 bulls with only a wire keeping them away lol

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

A little intimidating alright. My sister was renting a place that had cows in the next door fields. She planted some lovely rose bushes and a few other plants, then a few days later the cows broke through the fence and trampled most of them! It was the only time in the 2 years they lived there that the cows broke through the fence.

You should be fine from them as long as the battery in the electric fence doesn't get worn out or anything :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I don't think the farmer will mind to be honest. I used to live on a dairy farm and we let the dogs do what they want. Cows will go for the best grass and won't go near dog sh1t. If you are really worried about it ask the farmer himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Anyone that may know of this I would love to hear from them,this may be a big thing and we may have to leave if this is the case,his cows are easily worth 3,000 and we couldnt afford to pay for a cow never mind more if its true.

Someone help :D

Lolz what??? You say he has 4 bulls, they are probably worth a grand each plus, and 124 cattle would be worth tens of thousands at least. I don't know what your dogs are like, they might be very calm animals, but even so you should try and keep them out of the farmers field, regardless of vaccinations. A lot of farmers wouldn't like someone elses dogs being in with their cattle. At the very least ask him. He might be grand with it but better safe than getting an ear bollicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Your neighbour has it half right.

Allowing your dogs to defacate in the cows pasture won't cause parvo in the cows, but it *could* cause abortion, and the farmer has every right to chew you out for allowing your dogs to do this.

In fact, considering the potential loss of earnings to his bsiness, him chewing you out would be letting you off very lightly!!!

http://www.mri.sari.ac.uk/parasitology-reports-12.asp

From now on please keep your dogs on your own land, and stop putting his livestock (and livelihood) at risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

him chewing you out would be letting you off very lightly!!!.....From now on please keep your dogs on your own land, and stop putting his livestock (and livelihood) at risk

OR.... he mightn't mind at all, he may be a reasonable enough fella. He might see the dog in with the cows all the time and chuckle to himself, glad that his livestock is accustomed to dogs and carry on working away and roll his eyes at drama queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

From now on please keep your dogs on your own land, and stop putting his livestock (and livelihood) at risk

Lightening is right. Most farmers don't mind dogs and other animals mixing as long as he is asked about it and sees for himself that the cows are not frightened.

Not all farmers are gun toting nutbags that just want to blow the heads off dogs, eagles and cats! I have done a huge amount of travel in a canoe with a mate and a terrier. We had to ask permission to camp on farmers land every night, we and the dog shared campsites with livestock most of the time. We never ever got refused. Most of them thought we were nuts and tried to force feed us (and the dog) dinner every day. One gave us a lift to the pub and picked us up later that night (the dog was with us of course).

Sometimes, common sense prevails. Its like a lovely rain shower in the sun.

Sorry I should have made it clear,the cows are moved around the fields (he has many) so when the dogs are going into the field theres no cows there!!!! I presume if it was an issue it would have been said to us in the beginning before even moving in but like I said im going to ask just to be sure! I meant his dairy cows are worth 3 grand each!! It is not my intention to harm his cows,I had no clue whatsoever ontill yesterday that there could be an issue and now I walk all the way down the bottom of the garden so they follow and do there business there. My dogs are staffies and neither cows or dogs are bothered by eachother thankfully!

Thanks all for your comments,im still not sure if its an issue :confused: but ill be sure to post here after I ask the main man himself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi KhuntChops,
    Maybe you should tell your neighbour (in a kind and diplomatic manner) to mind his own business and ask your landlord whether he minds your dogs in the field.
    All is then clear and straightforward rather than falling into a situation of 'he said', 'I said' and so on... :-)
    ValerieR

KhuntChops wrote: »
    I presume if it was an issue it would have been said to us in the beginning before even moving in

Exactly, get to know your neighbours!!!! Mine are terrified of dogs, but we get on really well, and the kid (3) used to be terrified of the dogs, and now she can't understand why the mum is...

The only neighbour I have is a man in his 40ths and we get on grand,im a very easy going straight forward person and luckily enough so is he,he has no issue with the dogs,infact he enjoys them just as much as we do! Hes children come to visit the odd weekend and the dogs just love the attenion!
    Weve been blessed in that way so hopefully the poop wont be a probelm but if it is im going to demand a proper fence not and an electric one! There one big huge bull! Hes lovely tho,I almost want to put a lead on him and take him for a walk o_O Strange I no and for those you you who think im going to im not just to clear that up! Funny story how we found out it was electric :rolleyes:

Advertisement