Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2, R32 GTST or S13?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on buying one of either of those in the next month or so, but i'm finding it hard to make a decision! Anyone have words of wisdom on them? Or suggestions for other cars? I'm tempted by the MR2 as they seem fairly cheap!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Which R32 is it? The mk4 isn't *that* impressive but the mk5 is a savage beast. The s13 is a really good looking car, have never driven one myself though. MR2 is something I've never really liked tbh, something about them just doesn't do it for me.

By gtst do you mean the Skyline if so that's the one I'd have myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If i was in your position I would buy a MR2, but only if they are the onlder models, don't like the latest model!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Having had an R32 GTST I'd say go for the R32. They are a great car, comfortable, quick, and probably the roomiest of the three. Parts are fairly cheap for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

I'd also say R32 - if insurance and tax aren't something you'd worry about.

Some friends have em and even guys with the R33 say they're decent enough - they just had more money at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'd go with the mr2 if you want a fun fast car as standard, the r32 standard wont be that fast and wont handle great, the 180sx is a lovely car too but extremely pricey for what it is, again it wont feel as fast as the mr2 as standard and the 1.8 engine is troublesome.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    the r32 standard wont be that fast and wont handle great
    R32 - 212bhp - 1260kg (RB20DET)
    MR2 - 200bhp - 1265kg
    S13 - 200bhp - 1150kg (SR20DET; forget about the CA18DET!)

I imagine the MR2 would be the worst handling car (on the edge) with a big heavy engine behind the rear wheels :p
    Both Nissans have Hicas as standard also.

My R32 made 260bhp in TDP's dynapack on standard boost with just an induction kit, 5-zeigen exhaust system and the timing knocked back to 15°. I dont see the MR2 gaining 48bhp over standard without spending big money :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Thanks for the input guys, still have no idea of what i want though lol I thought MR2s put out around 240 horsepower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

zero19 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys, still have no idea of what i want though lol I thought MR2s put out around 240 horsepower?

As far as i know the turbo model puts out 240bhp.
    I did a bit of research into them a few months back because I was thinking of buying one. Most of the mr2's on the road are turbo models, but there are a few N/A models around. From what I read there is a massive difference between the 2!

yeh the mr2 turbo is the only one to go for and will be pushing 240bhp not 200bhp, it will kill you if you push it over the edge but if your mature and steadily learn its limits it will be much more fun to drive than a skyline

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Hey, I own an Mr2 turbo.

There are a couple of revisions of the mr2
    Revision 1 begins about Oct 89
    Revision 2, about Jan 92
    Revision 3, Oct 93
    Revision 4, Jun 96
    Revision 5, Nov 97 (ends sometime in 2000)

The big revisions were revision 2 for the chassis and revision 3 for the engine (and ABS). The rest were mainly cosmetic.

The MR2 turbo is a very fast car, with a 3sgte engine the rev3+ pushes out 240bhp as standard. The rev2 is 225bhp.

To be honest I could go on all day about them. I do my own work on the car as I got bored of crap mechanics working on it.

Sure I posted info on the mr2 a few posts down there..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055322809

Theres a link to a buyers faq and just for fun heres another useful link
    http://www.mr2turbo.info/

If you want more advice on getting an mr2 turbo (dont bother ur arse with the non turbo as they are slow imho) then just ask.

The s13 is also a very nice car, great for drifting if ur into that but arent as fast as the mr2 turbo when both are in standard form.

Dirty is giving the mr2 a hard time there! Each to their own car tho. I dont know much about the r32 but I do know that 200bhp for the mr2 isnt correct!
    I also do know that you dont need to spend big money in order to improve the power of the mr2 aswell.

Ive a 92 rev2, no cat convertor (pre 93 cars dont need one for nct), free flowing exhaust, upgraded intercooler, turbo technics stage1 hybrid turbo. I still have stock boost controls in place as I dont really feel like letting her loose just yet. Shes fast enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'm guessing also that you are talking about he mk2 not the 86-89mk1 model? The mk1 handles better and with a 3sgte engine conversion it is an unbelievebly great car http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/510353.htm :cool:

Or you could do like what i am doing and convert a n/a mr2 to a 24valve Quadcam 3ltr v6 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055284374 :cool::cool:

I imagine the MR2 would be the worst handling car (on the edge) with a big heavy engine behind the rear wheels :p

On the edge the mr2 would be the worst handling but not because the engine is behind the rear wheels, its not, its in the middle, hence "MR2" "Midship Runabout 2 Seater":p;)

Conor-Mr2 wrote: »
    I do know that 200bhp for the mr2 isnt correct!
    Oops, my bad! I must have been getting mixed up with the 4-azge

Oops, my bad! I must have been getting mixed up with the 4-azge

No worries mate. I still wouldnt know which one the OP should pick. Ya gotta go and drive all three and then make a choice!

No worries mate. I still wouldnt know which one the OP should pick. Ya gotta go and drive all three and then make a choice!

True, all 3 can be v6'd to to make them extra fun...

You and ur v6 :D

good luck with the conversion. I think you should get a supercharger aswell though.

You and ur v6 :D

good luck with the conversion. I think you should get a supercharger aswell though.

:D:D:D lol

For now its just a v6, who knows what the future holds:p

Its a hard choise to choose the right one though, just go for afew test drives and look for a smuch info as you can:cool:

I can see myself going for an MR2 but yeah, i'm gonna go for a few test drives! Thanks for the advice gents :)

No prob Zero!

However what I will say is you wont be driving it down to HRTA in the mud there or carrying a lot of the airsoft gear in the boot!! :)

No prob Zero!

However what I will say is you wont be driving it down to HRTA in the mud there or carrying a lot of the airsoft gear in the boot!! :)
    Lol luckily i have the P90, nice and small :) Thanks again buddy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Whats your limit on capacity ?? 2litre??

if you can strech to something bigger go for a supra or similar ;)

as for the list.... mr2 isnt that bad at handling at all, its low and centred being an MR car, just need to be real careful in the wet, if you plant the foot in the wet its gonna throw out pretty easily. insurence worked out cheap for me on an mr2 turbo, not sure if the others would be the same

Also it is the jap import mr2's that put out the most bhp. if its US spec it is less. mk 2 tubby with 3s-gte (rev 1-2) jap model=222bhp, us=200bhp

Rev 3+ turbo Jap model = 242bhp

If getting an mr2 get rev 3 or younger. ;)

• Advertisement

Younger you say? Most people have been telling me to get a rev 3 or higher! lol Yeah my max capacity is 2000cc, as i can't realistically afford the insurance on anything higher

Ye i'd go for a rev3 or 4, but by younger i think he might meen the same, as in younger, not as old, i thought the same thing though:D

zero19 wrote: »
    Younger you say? Most people have been telling me to get a rev 3 or higher! lol Yeah my max capacity is 2000cc, as i can't realistically afford the insurance on anything higher

thats what i mean... if 1 car is made in 93 and the other in 94, then the 94 is younger ;)

yeh insurence on a 3litre is pretty bad, they wouldnt quote me on any 3litre at all :(

pmsl, ^ We replied the same thing at the same time, only you did it in less words.

Ah i just read it arse ways, i'm well known for that! lol cheers

you make any decisions on what your gonna get?? ;)

Think i'll go for an MR2! But i was out for a spin in my brothers S14A yesterday now that has me thinking haha too much bloody choice!

i had the same proplem when picking one.
    Also there is the celica :P a nice GT4 would be class :)

haha tell me about the choice, i'm currently trying to decide what to go for next, it took me over a year of research to pick an integra last time, since i'm now 25 and will have 4 years ncb hopefully in january(touch wood), i've more of a choice so my list is:

Nissan 180sx
    Nissan 200sx S14a
    Honda Accord Type R
    Toyota Celica GT4
    Subaru Impreza STI Type R
    Mitsubishi Evo 4 - 6

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    haha tell me about the choice, i'm currently trying to decide what to go for next, it took me over a year of research to pick an integra last time, since i'm now 25 and will have 4 years ncb hopefully in january(touch wood), i've more of a choice so my list is:

Nissan 180sx
    Nissan 200sx S14a
    Honda Accord Type R
    Toyota Celica GT4
    Subaru Impreza STI Type R
    Mitsubishi Evo 4 - 6

what are u leaning towards?

personally id be leaning towards the gt4 or 200sx :P
    But i do love toyotas hence the gt4 :)

Advertisement