Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car was Parked, Quite Happily

Options
  • 04-07-2008 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

until someone who was obv trying to park in the bay in front of me, clipped around where my reg is and its slightly bent, it was dark so couldnt see any marks at the time but ther seems to be a paint mark at the side, didnt see it so only surmissing, what action can i take? and what recourse could i get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

until someone who was obv trying to park in the bay in front of me, clipped around where my reg is and its slightly bent, it was dark so couldnt see any marks at the time but ther seems to be a paint mark at the side, didnt see it so only surmissing, what action can i take? and what recourse could i get?

Don't bother, the hassle you will go to will eat up more of your time than its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭carlostevez90

Ye?
    if someone on my road saw though, what could i get done to the motorist
    thanks for the speedy reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

take photos of both cars. take the reg of the other car. right a brief note saying that their car has obviously damaged your. and state that if they do not call you that it will be a matter for the guards.

usually gets a prompt responnse. if they ring you up and say it was not them you really cant do much else because you have no reall proof it was them. but if they ring you up and apoligise .... game on.

No, they drove away, the bay in front was empty, but my car wasbnt marked when i left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Maybe start by looking at it in the daylight? And remember - it's a bumper.:)

• Advertisement

Ye?
    if someone on my road saw though, what could i get done to the motorist
    thanks for the speedy reply :)

there is no evidence to suggest that they did it. unlss you actually had a reg plate and got them to say it was them there really nothing you can do. if its just a ding i would not bother with it to be honest. its just the way people treat things these days.

so i shouldnt get all pissed off?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Maybe start by looking at it in the daylight? And remember - it's a bumper.:)

its a bumper but not a reversing aid!!!

i agree :(
    what ould the gaurds do iff they found the chap/girl?

i would be pissed!!!! but chances of finding the suspect is pretty slim i would imagine.

• Advertisement

i agree :(
    what ould the gaurds do iff they found the chap/girl?

if they really wanted to they could say that would be leaving the scene of an accident. but in my experience and i hate to say this they usually just file it in the unsolved "filing cabinet/ bin"

but thats not what theyre there for :(
    like, i wouldnt want them charged with something serious,
    i mean, i few quid for paintd be nice

No. What's the point? Trying to keep a car perfect in Dublin is a game for masochists. That's what bumpers are there for - keep this attitude and your motoring life will be a lot happier.:)

yeah, and im trying to sell it :(
    has this happened anyone on boards?
    and whatve they done

dont get me wrong i dont like getting people into troble but it boils my blood when people do that.... although its a few quid for paint or whatever. ..... but why she he pay it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Unless you, or a third party saw them do it and is willing to make a statement to the Gardai there is absolutely NOTHING they can do.

Unless theres video footage of the incident.

so lets say i found out
    would i get them in serious trouble if i reported it, i think i'll ask neighbours later if they saw

If you managed to prove it was them, then i'd imagine the Gardai would give them the option of paying you for the damage or being prosecuted.

If you managed to prove it was them, then i'd imagine the Gardai would give them the option of paying you for the damage or being prosecuted.

atm with my anger id prosecute :)
    could i force points or whatever?

would the gaurds even care?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

guards would try and settle it outside legal proceedings. at the end of the day it does not sond like much was damaged and nobody was hurt so as far as the guards would be concerned its up to you to sort it out.

not sure if the guards would even be able to give you name and address of person even if you got reg plate

Right, Im in Work Atm,
    So lets say i go home, Ask a Neighbour, and they Tell me they took down the Reg.
    Could i go to the Gaurds on That?.

i dont see why not. but when the guard asks you what damage was done to your car and you say he bent my reg plate i will assume they may laugh at you

What reg? There could have been several cars parked beside you, how could anyone prove which (if any) car did the damage?

but th paint too?
    can gaurds just take that attitude?

What reg? There could have been several cars parked beside you, how could anyone prove which (if any) car did the damage?

if a neighbour saw them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Right, Im in Work Atm,
    So lets say i go home, Ask a Neighbour, and they Tell me they took down the Reg.
    Could i go to the Gaurds on That?.
    Yes. How seriously they'd take it would be another matter.

"can gaurds just take that attitude?" - yes. they are not in the business of making work for themselves. They will take the position that this is a civil disagreement, and not a criminal matter.

The most i'd hope for would be a police phone call to the other driver and an agreement to pay for repair costs.

Wouldn't say that the odds are good though. Sorry for your trouble.

some can be quite helpful ......( if you catch them on a good day) but proving that it was the other car will be the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus calm down OP, i can relate to your anger but whoa there ted!

Unfortunately unless you have proof, i.e. a witness or video footage then there is bog all you can do. And i wouldnt go making accusations without proof or you will end up in hot water!

The gardai wont get involved anyway as no one was hurt. You would need to follow up with their insurance company.

• Advertisement

so if it happened you
    would you just leave it
    might just get a paint stick from a car shop :(

Advertisement