Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My monitor looks like its going to explode!

• 04-07-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

I got a new laptop(acer 9920g) and im trying to use my CRT monitor with it as it produces 100hz and is easier on the eyes. The monitor is pushing 12 years now, but it still works fine on my pc.

I plugged it into my laptop and turned it on, but no image came up other than tearing. Its like a very badly tuned TV Channel. Cant make anything out at all! So i went in to see what the monitor was doing via its own display and it said that it was trying to produce 85hz at 1280 x 1024.. why? Its obvious my monitor cant produce that resolution, never mind 85hz with it! I went over to a mates house to try it out on his LCD monitor and it worked fine.

Its obviously something with DPI/refresh/resolution thats causing the problem - has anyone else ever seen something like this?

I've tried locking the refreshrate to 60hz and putting the monitors to 800x600, no joy.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

100hz is no better then 85hz, which is far better then 75hz

must be a very old monitor if its scrambles the pic instead of displaying an out of sync message, bet it was white but is now cream colour

anyway....
    laptops graphics cards can extend the desktop onto the second monitor (as apposed to clone the destop), i think this is why you can't adjust its settings easily

so either set it to clone(assume its xp)
    start
    control panel
    display
    settings tap
    untick the "extend my desktop" box

or (adjust the external display)
    start
    control panel
    display
    settings tap
    choose the external display from the drop down menu
    adjust the settings as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

the monitor is near 11 years old. But its a beast!

The problem lies in the fact that it insists that my monitor uses 1280 x 1024 even tho i have set everything to 800x600 (just to get the thing working).

I dont want to extend my monitor, i dont want to duplicate my laptop to the monitor, i just want to use that monitor on its own as it has 0 latency and will do 180hz if i want.

The monitor works fine on my PC and other laptops that i have used, this one however seems to be different. Im wondering if its a DPI setting or something else?

Advertisement