Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda numbers

• 04-07-2008 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭

a mate of mine is a garda and has the numbers G ** on his shoulder.. what does the G stand for? when he got out of tempelmore did he go to galway first and thats how he got his numbers? do they change if you move station? also he had a low number aswell... does this mean he is high up or just the lets say the 25th person to have gone into that stagtion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

These are the shoulder numbers, cant remember the proper name. The letter is area....d is dublin...wx is wexford etc etc, the number is to do with rank...in a way!

ie, Sergeants in one stations may be given wx15-wx20, in another it may be wx20-wx24. Rank and file gards follow on then. However, the sergeant with wx15 is no more powerfull or superior to wx24.

I hope that makes sense...someone else may explain it a bit better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Stations in the DMR are given a letter, so G district would be Crumlin, and the numbers are dependant on the next available one when you get attested, except sergeant i/c in the divisional HQ is 1 and so on.

yes they do change when you change station

I don't know all the districts, but i know that if it has 2 letters and begins with D then it's a Cork city station, ie DA is anglesea st, WC is west cork and CN is Cork north, Limerick is LK usually it's a letter from the counties the division covers, so WK would be waterford and Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The numbers I was given became free after a member retired who using those numbers.

Recycling in a way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

foinse wrote: »
    yes they do change when you change station

I thought they changed only when you moved division? City division I suppose are different cos they have district letters as oppsoed to us who have division letters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

TheNog wrote: »
    I thought they changed only when you moved division? City division I suppose are different cos they have district letters as oppsoed to us who have division letters

yeah sorry that's what i meant to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Within the DMR (Dublin) the numbers are district numbers. A, B, C etc.

1 - 100 typically are Sergeants, 101 upto 600's are Gardai but they would never ever get that high. 700's are Inspectors and 800's are officers.

My number just happened to be spare within the station and its yours until you transfer. Numbers have nothing to do with seniority otherwise numbers would be getting swapped around all the time and no one would know what number is w

This however is simple a generalisation as I know Gardai that are within the 1 - 100 range. Also, certain stations are known as 'sub stations' so would have the same shoulder letter as the next station over. The Q for example is Lucan and Ronanstown and the B covers Pearce Street, Harcourt terrace and Harcourt Square. Compared to the D which is Bridewell only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

R = Coolock, Swords, Malahide
    K = Cabra, Finglas, Blanch
    H = Santry, Ballymun, Whitehall

Y I think are Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush

Thats all I know

Advertisement