Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britian's 'Special Relationship' with the US ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote: »
    The official name of this "Special Relationship" is the "Bilateral Intelligence, Trade & Commerce Hegemony" but the acronym BITCH was too obvious.

are we back to Thatcher again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    No it's not relevant Fred, we are indeed way off topic, this discussion might be more appropriate over on the history forum, but since our friend made the assertion - "America" existed for almost 300 years prior to the American War of Independence. - I just asked him to back it up, that's all.
    ( BTW, their were Spainish settlers in Florida a century before the Pilgrims Colony etc, not to mention French and Dutch colonies also present before the first English settlements. )

The land-mass was given the name "America" by the Europeans, therefore "America" existed almost three hundred years prior to the American War of Independence. No doubt the natives had a different name for the place, but it became "America".

We all know that the British weren't the only ones there, but the British prevailed over the others through wars and commercial transactions. This doesn't need backing up for most people, it's common knowledge. If, for whatever reason, you don't like the idea, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I agree that this would be more at home in the History Forum, but you would still end up with the same result, unless you know something that no-one else does.

Advertisement