Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriousness Level. (This might be a mad idea but...)

Options
  • 04-07-2008 2:20pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It occurs to me that there is a disconnect sometimes between the seriousness a thread starter might want, and the flippant responses that might be tossed out inadvertently.

That is to say, sometimes a thread starter wants to have a serious discussion about something and doesnt want lol cats and funny oneliners. That can be difficult to determine sometimes and leads to friction. Also it makes it very hard for mods in some forums to know when to smack someone and when to let it slide as a "bit of fun".

Sometimes the mod smacks a poster only for the OP to say "ah I dont mind" etc... whereas other times the OP is frustrated that his threads signal-noise ratio is low and berates the mod for not "enforcing the law".

Maybe if we had a little indicator to say "fun thread" or "serious thread", some sort of scale... we might even be able to filter based on it.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Get cult to add thread prefixes for Feedback.

Trial it and see how it runs. I dont think you'll be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Would be useful for After Hours discussions as there have been decent debates in the past and it would make a change to the lighter side. Yore mad I tell you DeVore, mad!!!

edit: sometimes Joe "After Hours" Public doesn't want an in depth discussion in Humanities, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hmmm, yes it is a mad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I dont understand how you could filter the Flippant remarks?

+1 though

Even as a reader, it can be frustrating to see a perfectly good topic on a serious matter decending into ****.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I agree.

I'm thinking back to a thread in one of my forums before that went turned into a private chat between two posters, the OP complained, I asked if he wanted the o/t posts removed, all the other posters went mad, accusing me of 'overmodding' and dragged the thread further off topic, I deleted posts, infracted people, they posted their infractions on the thread, then the op started complaining about the overmodding.
    If they'd posted at the start saying they didn't mind people derailing the thread, I'd have left it go.

Can't do nuffink right around here :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

isn't this why we have humanities and politics and everything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

DeVore wrote: »
    It occurs to me that there is a disconnect sometimes between the seriousness a thread starter might want, and the flippant responses that might be tossed out inadvertently.

That is to say, sometimes a thread starter wants to have a serious discussion about something and doesnt want lol cats and funny oneliners. That can be difficult to determine sometimes and leads to friction. Also it makes it very hard for mods in some forums to know when to smack someone and when to let it slide as a "bit of fun".

Sometimes the mod smacks a poster only for the OP to say "ah I dont mind" etc... whereas other times the OP is frustrated that his threads signal-noise ratio is low and berates the mod for not "enforcing the law".

Maybe if we had a little indicator to say "fun thread" or "serious thread", some sort of scale... we might even be able to filter based on it.

DeV.

serious.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yes in some cases it should be moved to somewhere which is, by default, more serious, but its not always on topic then.

I wasnt thinking of a "seriousness" level per post but thats also a good idea but more advanced.

This is all a bit "blue sky thinking" but its an interesting topic to explore I think....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

the problem is that sometimes in, say, Feedback someone will start what they think is a serious thread, but really it should be treated as a fun thread. I don't think some of the 'crazies' can be trusted to distinguish between what they view as serious and what everyone else will also view as serious.

Sample thread from Crazy McCrazy:

OP:

[serious] Outrageous Banning from PI

I replied to a thread in PI where a girl had two-timed her boyfriend with some good advice that should help her address her issues. I was only trying to help her. Yet Gordon banned me for a month. Where is my right to free speech? The mods in that forum are on a power trip, need to be removed, and should learn some proper manners.

Reply 1: Gordon

Your actual advice was "ya moldy aul bit*h, ya should be walking the streets like all the other whores on Baggot street"

Reply 2: Sherifu

*insert lolcat here*

Reply 2: Sherifu

*insert lolcat here*
    I resent the implication. <3

• Advertisement

I think the powah has gone to your head.

Sig police and now thought police?!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

\only joskin, great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Sherifu wrote: »
    I resemble the implication. <3

fyp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I always find you'll get good discussion anywhere outside AH tbh.
    If anything, the crazy serious to funny posts in AH makes for good reading!

fyp :D
    e4b3e7b4c9ffda20e69397fd791a902c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was thinking of something like this a while back, concerning trigger threads. I thought of maybe using the ! icon when starting the thread or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I think the powah has gone to your head.

Sig police and now thought police?!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

\only joskin, great idea.
    SIGPO are already monitoring your thoughts.
    Oopps, was that a sekrit?

Not really sure what you want Dev but if it's in vBulletin try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Nice thought Dev; I'd liked to see it trialed like OJ was for a short time just to see like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Does it not kind of interfere with the flow of a thread though?

While I agree that it can be annoying when a thread veers off topic it doesn't bother me when people are trying to make one less or more serious. How does a mod decide whether a comment has enough gravitas or whether it's meant flippantly.

Would a "seriousness" scale not interfere with the freedom people have at the minute to add their two cents as readily as they can at the minute*.

*Don't worry I understand posters have no right to publish their opinions, thoughts, suggestions, plans, ideas, submissions, schemes, anecdotes etc. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Any links to example threads, DeV?

If people want serious answers to a question then there are forums on boards covering just about any subject you can think of.

If, on the other hand, they post in AH for example (to get more exposure), they should be prepared to put up with AH replies.

I don't think it would be fair to effectively pre-censor threads because the OP mightn't like the replies that are normal for a forum.

Same goes for feedback vs helpdesk - maybe the moderators should tell offenders to post in helpdesk if they have a problem with a banning / infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

This is an excellent idea. I think we should trial in feedback for the rest of the summer to see what happens.

But was not something similar suggested before? I could be wrong but I seem to remember a few threads/polls in the past where ideas such as this were rejected. People said they loved taking the pi5s and lolcatting feedback threads (especially those fighting da powah!!!).

If it happens I have 3 questions:
    1. how will the OP indicate the seriousness of the thread?
    2. will posters obviously fighting da powah (or being general idiots ... lazers pew pew anyone?) requesting serious threads be respected?
    3. how will this be modded? Especially in feedback where imho its needed most. Will this necessitate feedback mods?

Like I said its a good idea, but it might turn feedback into helpdesk if its done badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Do people own the threads they create in boards or the direction they go in?

The tone and content of an opening post will almost always determine the direction in which the thread heads. I've always thought introducing more thread icons would be a good idea but that was more to do with filtering on content and to prevent new subforums being created everytime someone wants more discussion of their favourite music genre, TV show etc.

Creating an icon for the type of discussion seems, to me, redundant. If you put the effort in to crafting a good first post people will take you seriously. If you don't they won't. People also like to use humour and flippancy to deflate pompous debaters. You can't legislate for this kind of thing.

In short, I don't know if it's a mad idea but I do think it's a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

WindSock wrote: »
    I was thinking of something like this a while back, concerning tigger threads. I thought of maybe using the ! icon when starting the thread or something like that.

why are you connecting my threads
    someone connected my shoelaces one and i fell over is it something like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think it's a great idea. In fact, the thought can just as easily be reversed. Sometimes posters are looking for a lighter take on certain topics. The natural place to get lighter discussion is After Hours but sometimes mods then move those threads to 'politics' or whatever and the poster ends up with a serious debate when what they really wanted was comments on the size of Mary Harney's lunch bills etc. :)

Worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If it's not broken...

I think things are fine as they are. Outside Feedback, most people know when a thread starter is looking for a serious discussion or a bit of craic, be it in afterhours of whatever. Inside of feedback, well, those who act silly get treated silly.

Being honest I really dislike the thought of an "indicator" slapped onto thread by the OP of threads.

Maybe just remove Sherifus picture linking/posting privelages and put in some sort of filter that if he posts anything with less than 7 words in it, it auto-deletes. Should clear up some of the problem anyway :pac:

But seriously, not a fan of the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's a good idea, I think it's potentially in place already - Ye know the symbols we can put in the headers, Post Icons IIRC - If you could do something like that - and a key, it could work.

Though, I think it'd work best as an optional feature - One wouldn't have to 'theme' every new thread.

Those headers usually work with PM's etc - I know if someone uses the caution sign, it's gonna be about a problem on the forum, etc. Smiley/joking faces are usually that and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Would the "indicators" have to be adhered to though?

I mean, say we have someone called..."audacious_girl" create a thread in Feedback saying "OI YOU GAYS UNBAN ME" but sticks a "serious" indicator on it, does that mean all replies would have to be serious?

In such a case, they deserve to have the píss taken out of them, yet if they use this indicator they could argue that they wanted a serious thread and potentially use it against whoever took the píss in what was obviously a stupid thread.

I dunno, I don't like the idea anyway. If someone can't tell when an OP is looking for a serious discussion and when they're not, they should just be infracted for off-topic replies or attempting to de-rail it in the case of them taking the píss in what was obviously meant to be a serious thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

A little slider bar above the text when youre making a new post would be cool.
    Set at a different level for each forum AH would be like 3/10 Cuckoos nest would be 1/10 and the personal issues would be 10/10 or whatever. So you could ignore it, and use the forum as default seriousness, or you could adjust it to signal to people you'd like serious replies or you don't mind people having a laugh. Replace those thread icons (smilies etc) that you see to the left of some threads with a tiny bar which tells you how serious the thread will be.
    That would be cool.

And nice and difficult for cult to code up too :)<3

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. Should be an option for a mod to select, in Feedback. A Roman thumbs up or down for the thread, if you will. A thumbs up = serious, but athumbs down = lolcat heaven.

Rb wrote: »
    Maybe just remove Sherifus picture linking/posting privelages and put in some sort of filter that if he posts anything with less than 7 words in it, it auto-deletes. Should clear up some of the problem anyway :pac:
    But you'll still be able to troll. No fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sounds like a good idea to trial at least!

Don't worry Sherifu, I know you'll find a way around it.

Somehow

Advertisement