Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriousness Level. (This might be a mad idea but...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sounds like a good idea to trial at least!

Don't worry Sherifu, I know you'll find a way around it.

Somehow
    Godspeed .o>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Rb wrote: »
    I mean, say we have someone called..."audacious_girl" create a thread in Feedback saying "OI YOU GAYS UNBAN ME" but sticks a "serious" indicator on it, does that mean all replies would have to be serious?

In such a case, they deserve to have the píss taken out of them.

Hey she's only 17! Give her a break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

while I do think its a good idea, the only prob i see is that people might be afraid to say anything in fear of a mod thinking it's too serious, or not serious enough....thus prevent posting.

Which as I type this realise this is kinda what the aim is...so I'm gonna stop typing now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't think this would work. It would disrupt the natural flow of a thread if posters were restricted to only "fun" or "serious" replies.

And if some troll who gets banned decides to stick a "Serious" tag on a Feedback thread, does that mean we have to give "serious" replies, instead of treating them like the idiot that they are?

Plus, users might just "ignore" the tags. A lot of mods enjoy giving sarcastic/lolcat responses too, y'know. :)

LOLCatHank.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I says nayyyy.
    Sure, sometimes there are misunderstandings, but that's a part of communication and adds to it (People learn about themself, about others, and about the topic from mistakes.)

Sometimes serious threads shouldn't be taken seriously. (Seriously!)
    Somtimes unserious (It's a word.) joke threads shouldn't be taken as a joke and other times part of what makes them fun is that the intention is not explicitly marked out at the start.
    OP's are bias, sometimes they know it and sometimes they don't. They're not the best judge of how "their thread" should work out.

Or did I get it wrong? and it's only to mark the intention, but have zero value after that? If that's the case, is there any real point in going to the effort when it can be made clear through discussion what the intent was?

Don't underestimate the intelligence of users. They'll work out the level of seriousness as it applies, not as the OP intended. We'll get it wrong sometimes, but that's life, that's discussion, that's t'Internet.

t'Internet: Not as serious business as you think. Srsly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Having thought about it for a bit, I think it's a bad idea. Pretty much agree with Karoma's line of thinking above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Spot on Karoma.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Karoma wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the intelligence of users. They'll work out the level of seriousness as it applies

Don't overestimate them either, easy mistake to make in AH. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

No, I think they're very matur......Ah f*ck it, I can't write that without seizing with laughter. :D:D

After reading Karoma's post, I kinda agree with his point of view, but it might make for an interesting experiment. If it turns out totally useless, at least we'd have had a go.

SteveC wrote: »
    Obviously doesn't put the oh so intelligent Stevec off posting there anyway, given that over 1/4 of all your posts are there.
    No, I think they're very matur......Ah f*ck it, I can't write that without seizing with laughter.

Yet, almost half your posts are there...?

Guys, if you think AH is stupid, immature etc. then don't post there. Otherwise, don't post a shít load there and then try to pretend you're too good for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AH is like the sofa, it's a place to chill.

You're taking this far too srsly Rb.

Rb, for someone who posts a lot in AH, you know how messy it can be at times. There's a lot of sillyness in it, that's what it's for.

Incidentally, I would have imagined the vast majority of my posts are in Motors/Motors, BGRH, Feedback, and certain humour related forum rather than AH, which is a relatively recent venture on my part.

HTF do you reckon 25% of my posts are in AH BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'm not sure that happens too often.

By all means, if it's not too much effort to implement give it a whirl in Feedback and see how it goes; there's only one way to be sure.
    I just think it could make things worse in Feedback with inane rants backed up with "BUT I SAID DIS IS SERIOUS TRED!"; it may just prove to antagonize the OP and be a red flag to the rest of Feedback posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You know those people who set the priority of absolutely every email they ever send to URGENT?

There's trouble a brewin'.

By all means, if it's not too much effort to implement give it a whirl in Feedback and see how it goes; there's only one way to be sure.
    I just think it could make things worse in Feedback with inane rants backed up with "BUT I SAID DIS IS SERIOUS TRED!"; it may just prove to antagonize the OP and be a red flag to the rest of Feedback posters.

Agreed.

btw, AH is really growing on me, it's great for some light-hearted stuff, it's a great forum to post in! Cheers Karoma for not banning me yet! ;)

Not that I'm going to give you any grounds on which to pursue it!

I meant users, not gmods getting it wrong.

+1 with the rest of what you said.

Rb, for someone who posts a lot in AH, you know how messy it can be at times. There's a lot of sillyness in it, that's what it's for.

Incidentally, I would have imagined the vast majority of my posts are in Motors/Motors, BGRH, Feedback, and certain humour related forum rather than AH, which is a relatively recent venture on my part.

Yes, AH is sometimes silly. There's also some decent serious disussions there. It's After Hours, it caters for pretty much everything. It's one of the most used forums on the site and sure, it has an awful lot of morons posting there, but there's also a huge number of good/funny/intelligent/etc posters there i.e its a good mix.

But, it is what it is and has been that way for an awful long time so everyone should be aware of it now. I just get kind of tired seeing people slagging AH and then going off and posting there...I mean wtf..? Noones forcing you to post there, you've voiced your opinion that you dislike it/think it's full of morons etc...yet you continue to post there.
    That's not all directed at you btw, you're not the first and definitely won't be the last to have a go at AH and then return to posting there.
    HTF do you reckon 25% of my posts are in AH BTW.

Easy, hit Search and put your username in the username field, then select AH from the list of forums and select to display it as "posts" instead of "threads". It'll bring up the amount of posts you've made there yourself, then just look at the number of results and hey presto.

However, it only goes back 500, so if you've more than 500 then obviously it'll be more than 50% or whatever.

Yes, AH is sometimes silly. There's also some decent serious disussions there. It's After Hours, it caters for pretty much everything. It's one of the most used forums on the site and sure, it has an awful lot of morons posting there, but there's also a huge number of good/funny/intelligent/etc posters there i.e its a good mix.

I see your point, I didn't mean that it was completely off the wall, otherwise I wouldn't post in it much! :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This could lead to an explosion in the amount of posts containing the "This is serious cat, this is serious thread" lol cat.

• Advertisement

Easy, hit Search and put your username in the username field, then select AH from the list of forums and select to display it as "posts" instead of "threads". It'll bring up the amount of posts you've made there yourself, then just look at the number of results and hey presto.

However, it only goes back 500, so if you've more than 500 then obviously it'll be more than 50% or whatever.

Whatever, stalker dude.

And this is the thanks I get for bringing back rolleyes.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Folks, get back on topic and take your personal issues to PM. Nobody hear wants to hear it.

Anyway, I dont know how this would work.. id like to try it out tho, see how it pans out and the advantages/disadvantages etc. The "Thanks" featured worked well and we were able to make changes to limit abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sully wrote: »
    Folks, get back on topic and take your personal issues to PM. Nobody hear wants to hear it.
    Oh, I see this is one of those SERIOUS threads. Maybe it should have been marked as such.

Sully wrote: »

If you've a problem, take it to feedback.;)

Oh, I see this is one of those SERIOUS threads. Maybe it should have been marked as such.

Q.E.D.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Exactly. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

For a serious reply just direct them to the HelpDesk.

Only smods & Admins can reply and the masses are held at bay. Perhaps the Smods could start moving threads there? It robs a lot of people of their fun and wit but what can ya do...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wasnt specifically talking about Feedback or AH... I was thinking "site wide" kinda.

I gave this less then 120 seconds of thought (elapsed, about 5 seconds of actual concentrated thought :)) before posting it but I wanted to get some feedback on this area.

I've been thinking about self-filtered and user-rated posts... ie: users rate a post up or down and you can set a default limit of at least (say) 0+ "thumbs ups" before you want to see the post. Slash Dot does something like this but it also makes it disjointed a bit.

I've very keen on user-filtering as then each user can tailor things to their liking.

There are problems with that idea too, I've just thought of two in fact, but its an area I'm exploring (on holidays, so I have lots of time to think :) )

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

like digg?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

DeVore wrote: »
    I wasnt specifically talking about Feedback or AH... I was thinking "site wide" kinda.

I'm against it generally but I think, if anywhere, it belongs in Feedback and the last place it belongs is AH.
    I've been thinking about self-filtered and user-rated posts... ie: users rate a post up or down and you can set a default limit of at least (say) 0+ "thumbs ups" before you want to see the post. Slash Dot does something like this but it also makes it disjointed a bit.

I've very keen on user-filtering as then each user can tailor things to their liking.

As long as I can set a rating where I always see all posts I wouldn't object to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Krieg wrote: »
    Even as a reader, it can be frustrating to see a perfectly good topic on a serious matter decending into ****.
    It can also be frustrating when people take a tongue-in-cheek thread / post and assume it is meant totally seriously ... or are so serious about something that the slightest sign of levity is frowned upon.

Think about a normal conversation in the pub. Even a serious conversation about society / politics will normally have the odd tangent / witty remark / joke thrown in. It's kind of natural to most people. Also, it can often have a positive effect in that it defuses tensions / people getting heated about a topic. Ofc, now and again it can also have the opposite effect ... people get heated because they don't feel the topic is being taken seriously enough. The latter probably happens more often on Boards than in RL because (a) people for the most part don't know each other, and (b) there is the lack of the face-to-face interaction / body language / tone of voice which we all rely on far more heavily than we realise to communicate, and to interpret others.
    Silverfish wrote: »
    Can't do nuffink right around here :(
    Iz true.

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. [/plagiarism]
    Rb wrote:
    Maybe just remove Sherifus picture linking/posting privelages and put in some sort of filter that if he posts anything with less than 7 words in it, it auto-deletes.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    But you'll still be able to troll. No fair.
    Wordcount = 9 :P
    javaboy wrote: »
    You know those people who set the priority of absolutely every email they ever send to URGENT?

There's trouble a brewin'.
    ... has a point.
    II've been thinking about self-filtered and user-rated posts... ie: users rate a post up or down and you can set a default limit of at least (say) 0+ "thumbs ups" before you want to see the post. Slash Dot does something like this but it also makes it disjointed a bit.

I'm not sure I understood that fully, but sounds like it would be very complicated, and might lead to several conversations going on at once in the same thread.
    (on holidays, so I have lots of time to think :) )

DeV.
    Em ... have you ever considered the really odd concept of using a holiday to forget about the day-to-day stuff for a while?! :pac:

Advertisement