Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriousness Level. (This might be a mad idea but...)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Karoma wrote: »
    As for the OP moderating their own thread: I thought about this yesterday. I love the idea. I'd love to see a version of Feedback where the OP is the primary active moderator of their thread. Original post: "wer is da free speech you *****?!"; two pages later "ur so banned for wot u posted you ****".

With my suggestion the OP wouldn't be moderating their own thread as such. They'd have an interface to suggest to the mods the direction they'd like the thread to take. The mods would have the decision.

Basically a "Ask the moderator" option like "report this post" but for the OP.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Dev, maybe you could get one of the admins to look into...wut?

OK, I'm confused now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

dozens of brains are better then one. I thought to explore this side of things. I may well get told to get f*cked by Cult & Vex so I aint promising nuttin'! But these are interesting topics (to me anyway), that boards should at least be considering.

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

DeVore wrote: »
    dozens of brains are better then one.

I think you may be overestimating us sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

SteveC wrote: »
    I think you may be overestimating us sir.

speak for yourself. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Great idea DeVore. I got an infraction once for making a small joke in a thread that the mod & OP wanted taken seriously. A little unfair since the forum is 99% jokes & spam, but I didn't push it.

With the system you suggest, it would prevent similar from happening in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

What happens though if a thread that started in PI as a serious thread gets moved to AH because it's seen as belonging there? Or vice versa?
    Can't really see AH taking it as seriously as PI, regardless what 'seriousness' setting is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

For what it's worth, a no from me. Certain fora should be regarded seriously - Feedback, for example is not a place for loltwats - and there are appropriate places for flippants amusement also.

If there's a problem telling the bit of a jape from the serious business, we should just assume if it's in Feedback, for example, it's to be taken seriously, unless it's patently not, in which case it should be moved/deleted.

With all due respect OP, you have something that works pretty well, don't break it by screwing around with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've see the level of seriousness/sillyness as kind of a subset of the level of on-topicness/off-topicness. What I've seen the best moderators do, and what I've tried to do myself with varying degrees of success, is generally allow the odd bit of off-topic banter and sillyness (where it's at least slightly related to the ongoing discussion), but if the thread starts going off on a silly tangent to ask people to get back on topic.

Some light sillyness around a thread helps keep the discussion informal and friendly, and the interwebs just wouldn't be the same without some of the smart-assed comments, the trick is for the thread to go back on topic before they build up momentum and take over the thread. For the most part that happens naturally, and the balance here is one of the things that makes boards great.

I can't think of any way to formalise that. I would be in favour of a process that could, but at the same time I would be slightly worried that such a process could upset the balance that normally appears on it's own. It's probably already been said, but I think firm rules would probably lead to more problems than they would solve. But maybe some general guidelines could work, something like

"Joking and taking the p**s is ok, but please try to contribute to the topic aswell"

Kind of like how in the know your nerd thread there's no chat without posting a picture aswell, or maybe more general and just say

"a few joking posts is ok but don't let the thread go off-topic"

and then moderators could spot, or users could report, when the p**s-taking is building up momentum and moderators can post asking to stay on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MOH wrote: »
    What happens though if a thread that started in PI as a serious thread gets moved to AH because it's seen as belonging there? Or vice versa?
    Can't really see AH taking it as seriously as PI, regardless what 'seriousness' setting is on it.
    Generally a mod whill mark a thread when it is moved and post made while the thread was in AH wouldn't be held against people when it is moved to PI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement