Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema on my own - Am I mad?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

I've been let down for Saturday night so I was thinking of going to the movies on my own. As I don't drive I was thinking The Savoy on O'Connell Street (is that what it's called? the one up by Burger King??)

I've never been on O'Connell Street on my own at night, certainly not a Saturday night. Although I hear The Savoy doesn't do any "late night" showings so I'd probably be done well before midnight. Then the 16 home.

What do you think? Would it be safe enough for a woman on her own on a Saturday night up O' Connell Street?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Dont see why not

Well, the 16 stop is right across the road so you should be fine. Lots of guards on a saturday night too. Do you mind me asking how old you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I often used to go to the cinema on my own, but never on a weekend night as I hate crowds. I much prefer an empty cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Head to the film forum and I'm sure one of the friendly posters there could go with you!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Or there's always this: http://www.dublinmovieclub.com/

(as discussed on the most recent Boards podcast)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Head to the film forum and I'm sure one of the friendly posters there could go with you!

:)

Get a DVD at least you'll live to see another day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Screen cinema (on townsend St - just a few mins from O'Connell St on the southside) is a lovely little cinema showing more 'arty' films.
    There's always lot of people here going by themselves and it's a nice crowd (never any scumbags, or ones in the back rows having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I'm a month away from 23.
    I probably sound closer to 13 but I've heard horror stories about O'Connell Street on a Saturday night. :(

Cheers, Bard. i was looking for that but I couldn't find it. I'm seriously considering joining, sounds like a laugh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hit the cinema by myself a good bit. Wouldn't do it on a weekend night though.

Plus Neesa - thought you were going to be in Lapello's on Sat night. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Ah yeah, but you know yourself Anono, it doesn't do to hit Lapellos too early. I'll watch Will Smith save the world for a bit first, then head over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Neesa wrote: »
    I've never been on O'Connell Street on my own at night, certainly not a Saturday night. Although I hear The Savoy doesn't do any "late night" showings so I'd probably be done well before midnight. Then the 16 home.

What do you think? Would it be safe enough for a woman on her own on a Saturday night up O' Connell Street?

Have you ever crossed over the river after dark ;-)

Seriously, don't worry about it. O'Connell Street is grand, and Savoy is a lovely cinema.
    Word of warning though, Savoy had 'Hancock Sold Out' signs on the windows during the week, so you'll do well to book in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Depends on the time of show, personally I'd probably not be hanging around O'Connell street late on a Saturday night on my own, but the movie probably ends around 11pm, in time for last bus home.

If you're ever wanting to head to the cinema on your own, check out the club on my sig :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I love Light House Cinema, but it's a pretty quiet area at night and don't know about pubic transport there. At least it gets dark late, so you should be ok. I've been to the movies on my own back home when I really want to see something no one else does!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There's a Luas stop round the corner from The Lighthouse, and its only a short walk to the quays for bus/taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

No i don't think you're mad, you should head in for a film tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

So OP, did you venture out to the flix on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Would be a shame if you didnt, i used to go alone all the time if i had to, still do if there is no-one else around to go in with...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just talking about this last night in the pub (not on my own there :)). I've gone a few times over the past few months, mainly cause I wanted to see certain films in the cinema and either there was no one around or they weren't educated enough to recognise a good film :P

If you think about it you don't actually talk to your mates when in the cinema (unless you wear burberry) so there's not much difference in going on your own.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

O'Connell street is fine on a saturday night. stop listening to people with horror stories, they are trying to make us afraid for no reason, soon we will be like the americans every house will have a gun and everyone will be too terrified to go out after dark :rolleyes:

i go to the cinema all the time by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

I've often gone to cinema by myself. I rather sometimes. I've got a few friends who talk during movies and ruin the atmosphere if it's a good drama. Comedies are great with them though. I saw Gone Baby Gone by myself last Thursday which wold have been ruined if they were there. I have the unlimited card for cineworld (Parnell st.) so I go alot more than my mates would anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement