Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xavi vs. Fabregas vs. Torres - Who's better?

• 04-07-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

One year today that his lad arrived.

Wat a ****ing player. And wat a year we've had with him.

Best player in the world within 3 years. FACT.

Fernando_Torres_narrowweb__300x416,0.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mr Alan wrote: »

nope, sorry. he'll never be as good as Fabregas or Xavi imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I don't think he'd be as good a midfielder, but he's a far superior centre-forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

They're both centre midfielders whereas Torres is a forward so it's not a fair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

One year today that his lad arrived.

Wat a ****ing player. And wat a year we've had with him.

Its friday, no torres love for the rest of the day al you hear me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

IrishMike wrote: »
    Its friday, no torres love for the rest of the day al you hear me?

its our year anniversary though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Xavi.
    Great player. One of the worlds best.

Cesc.
    Over-rated, easy to shut out (as proven in the second half of the premiership season).

IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Fabregas on form is untouchable as a CM.
    His form dipped not because people learned to shut him out, but rather that he was
    playing too many games for such a young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Xavi.

Cesc.
    Over-rated, easy to shut out (as proven in the second half of the premiership season).

IMO

cant agree cesc is a phenomanon! wonderful footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"Best player in the world" just depends on who Sky decide to hype up after Ronaldo buggers off.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Fabregas on form is untouchable as a CM.
    His form dipped not because people learned to shut him out, but rather that he was
    playing too many games for such a young player.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    cant agree cesc is a phenomanon! wonderful footballer

Hey, it's just my oppionion, but I really do disagree.

The idea of playing too much is an excuse too often used.
    He's 21 years of age here people, not 16-17.

He had a great opening half to the season, and yes he is a phenomonal talent, but he is very one dimensional, and if you shut him down, he can't adapt his game.
    As you said, when he plays well he's amazing, but only if you let him.

Look at his performances against us this season.
    First game, he ran the show.
    Was outstanding.
    But the other two he played aginst us, he was only a bit part payer, cause Masch took him out of the equation.

Again, I know this is just my oppinion, and I'm far from in the majority about it!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

But the other two he played aginst us, he was only a bit part payer, cause Masch took him out of the equation.

As much as it pains me to say it Ferdinand and Vidic had Torres in their pocket in our first game last year, does that mean Torres isn't world class? Of course not. It just means that on some occasions one great player will be better than another great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Xavi.

Cesc.

Any decent team can shut out any player.

Fabregas is a quality player. End of discussion.

There is enough bull**** on this thread. We don't need 50 Arsenal fans joining the Villa and United fans.

Any decent team can shut out any player.

Fabregas is a quality player. End of discussion.

There is enough bull**** on this thread. We don't need 50 Arsenal fans joining the Villa and United fans.

I think Fabregeas is amazing.
    A true genious.
    But to say that he's the best in the world is a bit much, that's all I'm saying.
    Listening to the RTE panal verbaly dry hump him during the Euros annoyed me a bit.

Not seeing why Fabregeas was on the bench when you have Xavi and Iniesta infront of him (and rightfully so) on the pecking order is a bit stupid.

Anyway, who cares.
    Back to the importnt stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You cant really say a bad word about Fabregas, he is immense. Over rated ? Hardly.

Tusky wrote: »
    You cant really say a bad word about Fabregas, he is immense. Over rated ? Hardly.

See above, and lets all just forget it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

malice_ wrote: »
    They're both centre midfielders whereas Torres is a forward so it's not a fair comparison.

So we can't compare them when talking about the best player in the world? :rolleyes:

He'll never be the best player in the world, he'll never be the best player in his country. He is a great player all the same though.

raido9 wrote: »
    He'll never be the best player in the world, he'll never be the best player in his country

can you please tell me who the best players in the world will be every year for the next ten years please....thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

can you please tell me who the best players in the world will be every year for the next ten years please....thanks.

No can you?

I can tell you a few who won't be there though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aww... We were so, so close to avoiding another car-crash

and how can you tell who wont?

Torres was in the top 5 players in the world last year imo, he is 24 so has a few years yet before he hits the peak years for a striker and he was in his first season in a new league in a team that struggled for a part of the season.

dont write him off as a no hoper, when you yourself admit you have no idea wat will happen over the next ten years.

This year alone he added the following honours to his long list of achievements;
    -Premier League Player of the Month: February 2008
    -PFA Team of the Year: 2008
    -Liverpool Player of the Season: 2008
    -UEFA European Football Championship team of the tournament: 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

please start a new thread about the worlds best players and let it turn into a pool/united/arsenal have the worlds best player debate.
    Can the next 20 pages and few hours be kept for the role of our new players and if rafa signs keane does that mean a role for gerrard in the middle...you know a liverpool discussion:D

i would have thought that whether or not Fernando Torres had the ability to become the best player in the world over the next few years was very relevant to the Liverpool thread?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

torres is a fantastic player for liverpool and i dont give a flying monkeys if fans of other teams think so.He is great for us and picking up the paper and reading he is the best in the world doesnt change him for us.
    Who cares if he is the best or not?

i do.

i hope at the end of his time with Liverpool he is regarded as one of the best players of his generation winning multiple cups and leagues with us along the way.

i would have thought that whether or not Fernando Torres had the ability to become the best player in the world over the next few years was very relevant to the Liverpool thread?:confused:

It would be but there's no way it won't turn into a 10 page arguement with loads of United fans in here saying "Only if ronadlo retires" and Arsenal fans saying "Fabregas is only going to get better, he's a cert for it". And loads of pool fans screaming "troll" etc. etc. etc. Just not needed!

For what it's worth he defo has the potential to be world player of the year. :p Let us not forget Fat boy Lampard almost won the thing!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I never liked the 'worlds best player' tag because it is a never a defender or a goal keeper. Worlds best striker, winger, full back etc are fair enough but its impossible to single one player out as the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

i do.

i hope at the end of his time with Liverpool he is regarded as one of the best players of his generation winning multiple cups and leagues with us along the way.

I totally agree, with ye, I think Torres is class and he's everything i've wanted from a Liverpool striker over the past few seasons. I hope he achieves lots at the pool and is looked at in the future as a seriously talanted player. Pyjamarama is right though, these are only our opinions, theres no point in argueing with opossing fans over whether he will or won't.
    Too much time is spent arguing over **** with opposing fans on this thread, few of them add anything to the debate so theres not really much point (it's just their opinion v your opinion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There's no such thing as the best player in the world. That's just opinion and opinion can't be proven as fact. People will say Ronaldo is because he has won player of the year awards, but that's other people's opinion, not mine.
    As other people have said, who cares. Torres is world class, that's all that matters and the more world class players we have, the better.

I think if we landed Robbie Keane, we'd have a really exciting line up for next season. I hope we get him. Ten million and Crouch would be good value, although i'd hate to see him leave.

Listen!

Everybody knows that Andriy Voronin is the best player in the world!!!

End of discussion!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Why the hell is torres involved in this?

could you not have just left the two?

or put in ronaldo?

nonsense stuff

he wanted to sign for the reds,torres,torres
    but we turned him down and signed TEVEZ, torres, torres
    you brought him all the way from sunny spain
    to leave him on the bench again!
    fernando torres liverpools number niiiiine

lol

I made the comparison to Fabregas and Xavi because imo they are the best candidates of those playing the game who might gain legendary status after their football careers and placed on a par with footballing greats. that's the bar I thought Alan was setting.

Torres I'm not sure about, very good yes but i don't believe he's on the same level. His success so far may be difficult to replicate. He exposes the vulnerabilities in the English style of play, the high defensive line, the over reliance on the offside trap and physically bettering opponents. I do believe that United and a few others though showed it's quite easy to adopt an effective strategy to nullify him, something which cannot be fully said about the greats.

for the benefit of anyone who doesnt know. i didnt start this thread. and i dont feel its a discussion that merits its own thread.

all i did was post a positive message about how good torres is, in the liverpool thread, supposedly he is OT?

for the benefit of anyone who doesnt know. i didnt start this thread. and i dont feel its a discussion that merits its own thread.

all i did was post a positive message about how good torres is, in the liverpool thread, supposedly he is OT?

Ah sorry, I was wondering it seemed like an odd 3....then again..I wouldn't put anything past you ;)

ntlbell wrote: »
    he wanted to sign for the reds,torres,torres
    but we turned him down and signed TEVEZ, torres, torres
    you brought him all the way from sunny spain
    to leave him on the bench again!
    fernando torres liverpools number niiiiine

These kind of songs are waaaayyyy funnier when they have some truth behind them!

This is a silly thread though...

But to keep it on topic, on current form Torres is the best of the three but i'd wager that Cesc will be the one to go down as an all time great.

somehow i don't think anyone is blaming you.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah, that explains it. I thought it was a bit silly comparing him to central midfielders.

Re: Torres himself, I have to admit being one of those who thought he might take a while to adapt to the Premiership. Phenomenal season he's had.

Did he end up overtaking Van Nistelrooy's record as top goalscoring foreign striker in his first season? I remember he was on the verge of it.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    These kind of songs are waaaayyyy funnier when they have some truth behind them!.

which part is not true?

him not wanting to come to the best side in europe to win medals?

the fact raffa benched him during some of the most crucial games?

dont take this thread of topic with your lies..

:pac:

Did he end up overtaking Van Nistelrooy's record as top goalscoring foreign striker in his first season? I remember he was on the verge of it.

How is this got anything to comparing him to two CM's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Shouldn't we just be thankful that we get to see all 3 of these amazing players in the same national side? And in domestic teams that are at the helm of European football?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Shouldn't we just be thankful that we get to see all 3 of these amazing players in the same national side? And in domestic teams that are at the helm of European football?

What?

I'm just happy to be alive brother...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

They all have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

which part is not true?

what crucial games was he benched in?

when did he want to join united?

oh and liverpool were the better team in europe when he joined ;)

Sherifu wrote: »
    They all have lovely bottoms.

In fact, which one has the nicest bottom might be a better topic..

We would have to throw in ronaldo tho he has some buns.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Barca/United fans vs Arsenal fans vs Liverpool fans.

All three are utter quality and there really isn't anything to distinguish the three players IMO in terms of overall quality (obviously they perform different tasks, especially Torres). Most of the people who try to identify one player as being definitively better usually just embarrass themselves with their lack of knowledge of the other two.

As Cesc is the youngest I think it's fair to say that he could have the highest ceiling in terms of potential but that's just speculation and at the moment they're all at a similar level.

I've spoken about Xavi and Cesc plenty recently so I'll just say that to me in a footballing sense, Torres bears a serious resemblance to a certain French number 14. I consider that pretty high praise.

Cyrus wrote: »
    what crucial games was he benched in?

when did he want to join united?

oh and liverpool were the better team in europe when he joined ;)

Wasn't he taken off nearing the end of some silly cl match against chelsea?

Yeah, he passed it out on the last game of the season.

which part is not true?

He turned down Utd twice at least.
    Ferrgusson himself admits he tried to buy him twice, but Torres wouldn't leave!

Torres was "rested" less than Rooney or Ronaldo.
    He played more games while fit than either.
    The only period he missed was his few weeks out with injuries.

Lads lets not ruin the thread over a song..

bit of banter...

Wasn't he taken off nearing the end of some silly cl match against chelsea?

You mean twhen he was injured, and the player that replaced him scored a 30 yard screamer!!!

You mean twhen he was injured, and the player that replaced him scored a 30 yard screamer!!!

injured...right.....;)

Lads lets not ruin the thread over a song..

bit of banter...

Thought never crossed my mind:P

I still think Voronin's better than all of them!!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement