Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xavi vs. Fabregas vs. Torres - Who's better?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

ntlbell wrote: »
    injured...right.....;)

Hey, I'm no physio.
    If a player starts limping, and then comes off, and then he and the manager say he strained a muscle, then I believe it.

And if the player who replaces him scores a cracking goal, who am I to complain?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think all three are among the best in the world and im sorry to say (as a united fan) i would pick Torres first if i had a choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

As a Liverpool fan, and rational individual (for some reason some people think those or mutually exlusive ;) ), Torres given all he has achieved and his age, is certainly behind Fabregas in terms of how good he could be. Ronaldo too, and I absolutely hate Ronaldo.

Xavi is a player I've thought highly of for years, but Fabregas will become a much better player than Xavi. It is splitting hairs between them even now. It's also hilarious how flavour of the month Xavi ia since he was officially accoladed at Euro 2008. He wasn't even on the radar for most people before then (evidenced in the various polls on who people thought would get it) and to be fair was hardly the complete stand-out of quality at the tournament. It could have gone to a number of people.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Wasn't he taken off nearing the end of some silly cl match against chelsea?
    Torres doesn't have the physical ability to take it to 120 minutes at such a high intensity. To be honest that's why I think he'll struggle to fulfill the romantic prophesy so many Liverpool fans have for him. He struggles to make it through a full 90 minutes sometimes!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    can you please tell me who the best players in the world will be every year for the next ten years please....thanks.

U certainly can judging by the first post in this thread??????????????

Torres can be shut out of games, ask Rio Ferdinand who has shown so far he has his number thus far.

Ronaldo can be shut out of games, ask Gael Clichy who regularly shuts down Ronaldo as he;s quicker than him.

Xavi can be marked out of games...the odd time, harder though as he plays deeper.

Fabregas can be marked out of games - (by AAAAAANNNNDERSON-SON-SON!!) :p

ANY player can be marked out of games when the opposition double mark him/ have the pace to match him/play tactics to stop said player, its the sign of the great ones who play well anyway.

Out of the 3, i think Xavi is the best. All 3 are amazing players, and definitely i the top 2/3 in the world in their position. I think Torres is the joint best striker in the world right now on form with Drogba (Eto'o on form rivals though), Id edge towards Torres as he's less tempermental. And I think Xavi is the best CM going. Im goin with Xavi possibly as he is more experienced and for me the only one who is the standout player in his position in world football (as in ahead of any other rival right now). When Fabregas and Torres are 28 and have the same mileage, maybe theyll be better, who knows, but for me right now Xavi...even though i find it hard to be objective comparing 2 midfielders and a striker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's also hilarious how flavour of the month Xavi ia since he was officially accoladed at Euro 2008. He wasn't even on the radar for most people before then (evidenced in the various polls on who people thought would get it) and to be fair was hardly the complete stand-out of quality at the tournament. It could have gone to a number of people.
    Most people not including me. I've been going on about the guy since the late 90s and finally now his talents get some of the recognition they deserve.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Most people not including me. I've been going on about the guy since the late 90s and finally now his talents get some of the recognition they deserve.

Ive always rated Xavi. He didnt get the recognition a few years back because prior to the season Rijkaard brought Davids in and the renaissance began (they won the league the following season) he was playing in what was by all stretches of the imagination, a poor Barca team. i rate him as the best CM going. he's the only player I can think of fit to replace Paul Scholes at United. Id trade Ronadlo for him in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hey, it's just my oppionion, but I really do disagree.

The idea of playing too much is an excuse too often used.
    He's 21 years of age here people, not 16-17.

He had a great opening half to the season, and yes he is a phenomonal talent, but he is very one dimensional, and if you shut him down, he can't adapt his game.
    As you said, when he plays well he's amazing, but only if you let him.

Look at his performances against us this season.
    First game, he ran the show.
    Was outstanding.
    But the other two he played aginst us, he was only a bit part payer, cause Masch took him out of the equation.

Again, I know this is just my oppinion, and I'm far from in the majority about it!:P
    It's the same with every playmaker in the world. Playmakers thrive in space. Take the space away from Fabregas, Xavi, Pirlo, etc. and they'll struggle. It's a lot easier to mark Pirlo when his teammates are Gattuso and Ambrosini rather than Xavi. Put too many resources into marking Xavi and his teammates will make you pay.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You have. You're fascination borders on the weird. And it must make you sick almost to see every one brag like they've been following this little treasure for years.

The reality of it is, if say Marcos Senna won the accolade every one would be harping on about how United missed the opportunity to buy this legend for nothing and Xavi would return to his incredibly gifted obscurity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You have. You're fascination borders on the weird.
    Far from weird. If I spotted the future best player in the world a decade ago I'd be making sure anyone and everyone knew about it. :) So would anyone really. I had to listen to my mate all through the world cup going on about how he knew Arshavin years and Dunphy was really getting to him by saying "nobody knew him a few months ago". :)

You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be bragging on here in a few years time when McShane becomes Ireland captain and Stokes the main man up front in a talented team. :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Plenty Strikers in the game that can achieve 20-25 league goals. Torres is nothing too special in that regard, IMO Adebayor was slightly more impressive this season.

The likes of Xavi and Fabergas are very rare, different level to the striking Spaniard.

So to summise the order I would prefer the players

1. Fabregas
    2. Xavi
    3. Adebayor (I know he wasn't included, but he should of been)
    4. Torres

Before the Scouse Panty Twisters arrive in belting out Treason, Torres is a fantastic player the above is my opinion and in no way reflects the size of yer manhoods.

Edit: None of them are a patch on a Peak Playing Scholes or Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Far from weird. If I spotted the future best player in the world a decade ago I'd be making sure anyone and everyone knew about it. :)

Well you were close enough.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1692073&postcount=20

Mr. Alan is gonna be so upset when Torres leaves to go to a big club, sooner rather than later I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this was seriously made into a thread?

are ppl that up for an arguement around here? as alan partridge would say - thats saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jazzy wrote: »
    this was seriously made into a thread?

are ppl that up for an arguement around here? as alan partridge would say - thats saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

It is July! Not long before we see something like

Buffon vs Ronaldo Thread. :D

Advertisement