Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VI

Options
  • 04-07-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Mate of mine told me theres some new CGI scenes added into the PS remake about 3/4 way through the game. Im just about to head to Kefka's tower and ive only seen the CGI intro...have i missed something somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nope thats it. I believe there may be an ending movie but I am in the exact situation as you (halfway through Kefka's tower). Good game eh? The loading times and numerous random battles can make it a chore tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Intro and ending are the only two new CGI sequences and they aren't even that great. They don't really add anything to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

It actually takes a while to recognise everyone from the opening cgi scene...i guess the jump in technology is too great...still when youve played likes of ffx its nice to see some decent cgi.

Its a great game for gameplay...the amount of party members gives alot more gameplay options but unfortunately for the same reason it lack the close connection with any the characters that we get in the later games.

I can see how FFIX is compared to these earlier games, but still i far prefer IX over VI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I'm glad a post has been made about FFVI, because I've never played it properly and I was wondering which version is the superior one? GBA or PSX or should I run me an emulator?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The GBA version is one to avoid. It's had a few scenes softened up like the torture scene and attempted suicide. The PSX translation isn't that great, it's again sanitised a bit and kefka unfortunately comes across a lot softer. I'd hate to admit it but Ted Woolseys original translation for the SNES version is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Maybe wait for the inevitable DS remake? (But probably not due til next year at some stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Thanks guys. The SNES version works for me because I can emulate on my DS. I'm playing for the story anyway :)

Do you think that it will be remade for the DS? Because it seems like they're releasing things in two's - FFI and FFII for PSP, FFIII and FFIV for DS, FFV and FFVI for...? DS 2 or PSP 2? FFVII for PS4!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Id say its a dead cert that they're been remade for the DS - (V is prob in development as we speak).

However, ive always thought that (instead of VII) a fully-blow remake of VI (3D characters / environments, voice-acting, remastered score, the lot, etc..) on PS3 / X-box would be oh-so sweet.

SofaK wrote: »
    However, ive always thought that (instead of VII) a fully-blow remake of VI (3D characters / environments, voice-acting, remastered score, the lot, etc..) on PS3 / X-box would be oh-so sweet.

Yeah definitely. With some really well animated models emotions could be conveyed an awful lot better than with the limited animation on the sprites. I still firmly believe that along with FFX FFVI has the strongest story and gameplay of all the FF games, the non-linear second half of the game is genius. If they do remake it I just hope they don't go all over the top with advent children craziness. The story line would work so much better if they keep the characters believeable and not super human.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The GBA version is one to avoid. It's had a few scenes softened up like the torture scene and attempted suicide. The PSX translation isn't that great, it's again sanitised a bit and kefka unfortunately comes across a lot softer. I'd hate to admit it but Ted Woolseys original translation for the SNES version is the way to go.

God damn it!!! ><

Why do they have to change the translation...it should of been just a direct port from SNES to PSX!

The only reason i like the port is because the SNES console is hard to get hold of and way over priced, cause its retro now or whatever ¬¬

• Advertisement

Im almost certain the Snes to PSX translation was not sanitised. I believe it was Japan NES TO US NES that was. The suicide thing i sanitised in the PSX version. If you read a guide on gamefaqs.com (by djibrell) He actually mentions scenes which have been sanitised from the Japanese version. If you open the file just search it for Ted or Woolsey. The guy hates poor Ted!

Theres a scene with Edgar and Relm where Edgar suppossedly says "don't even think about it that would be criminal" but was changed for the US version with "don't grow up so fast".

Other stuff like an enemy who had a smoke in her mouth had it removed for US release etc

IF someone wants to tell me extactly what makes Kefka such a bad ass (what lines did I miss? etc) then go ahead.

...just beat the game last night. I was pretty happy with the snes ending. The cgi add-on didnt really do anything for me, looked more like a fan tribute. No harm though since it was at the very end.

Kefka is totally bad ass lol. He had some the best lines just before the final battles...loved to read what this Ted Woolsey wrote for his last few lines.

I'm not a big fan of Ted Woolseys translation work since he had a habit of using artistic license and adding his own stuff and changing things. However at the time his translation work was the best around and the translations after square stopped hiring him were far worse other than Vagrant Story but that was by pure chance. If Woolsey had translated FFVII it wouldn't have been the mess that it was.

As for Kefka he might not have had the bad ass character design of Sephiroth but he was a more believeable and more fleshed out character than Seph. Also he did some pretty awful things like
    poisoning a whole town just to sped up a seige, enslaving Terra and the Espers just to make himself more powerful, totally destroying the world and reshaping it forever then enslaving it's people and ruling through the fear of him using a big dirty energy beam that could take out an entire city.

Seph burnt a whole town down and he wasn't even at war with them.

Yeah the lightning blt thing was pretty cool, I can give you that.

noodler wrote: »
    Seph burnt a whole town down and he wasn't even at war with them.

Well thats the problem with Seph, he didn't have any reason to burn the town down other than having a bit of a tantrum. Kefka was at war with that town. He could have laid seige to them and fought them and more than likely would have won but the way he dealt with it was so cold and cowardly you just have to hate him. He killed everyone even the women and children in such a cowardly way. I think thats what I prefer about him. Sephiroth may have looked cool and was incredibly strong but Kefka was pretty much normal other than having a better grasp of magic. He was a real bully and coward. He ran away from most fights and I could hate him a lot more than Sephiroth. He backstabbed and betrayed everyone that was close to him.

Too much of a coward for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the CG opening of FFVI ps version is superb imo,how touching to see the real magitech!!cant remember the CG ending tho...

The ending was half new footage of in the opera house and the rest is the first video re-edited. They really didnt but alot of work into it. My guess is that it was just an excuse to resell an old snes game for the same price as a new psx game.

carbonkid wrote: »
    The ending was half new footage of in the opera house and the rest is the first video re-edited. They really didnt but alot of work into it. My guess is that it was just an excuse to resell an old snes game for the same price as a new psx game.

:O Square Enix would never attempt to milk their own franchises dry with half arsed ports!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    :O Square Enix would never attempt to milk their own franchises dry with half arsed ports!

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭matthew26

But they do port it to the PC...which I'm thankful for. And is it just me or a lot of Final Fantasy games have been ported to the PSP lately?

Advertisement