Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do to improve Sligo's tourism?*

Options
  • 04-07-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

There was a lot of talk about Sligo's tourism, its impact on jobs, local economy, etc in another thread and now I just want to get peoples ideas for what could make it better. Tbh there are plenty of hotels here so I don't think that we can be in too much of a hole, but there are definitely improvements to be made. I also don't believe that we are that out of the way, you can travel from one end of Ireland to the other in a day, so tourists can very easily take in a lot of the country, Sligo included. My personal opinion is that Sligo should be trading more on its history, heritage and culture. Obviously there are already establishments to that effect, but there could be more. For instance, in the 1800s Sligo's economy was basically kept going from all the trade brought about by people emigrating from here. There must have been people travelling from Roscommon, Mayo, Leitrim, maybe even Longford and further. A museum could be built to commemorate the people who left here and the port town history. A link could be made with American and Canadian establishments to help people find their family tree, etc. This would also be able to draw tourists all year round, since those who come for HH and C generally aren't as bothered about the weather imo. So what are your suggestions people?

*Note this doesn't have to be completely realistic, issues such as funding don't need to be considered for the purposes of this thread. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 itchy&scratchy

kill every scumbag in the place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sligo Rovers play a couple of pre-season friendlies against AC Milan and FC Barcelona at the Show Grounds. That would boost tourism I would say. Plenty of WAG's on show I would imagine. Be great for the area....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Very helpful!:rolleyes:

The biggest issue is advertising.
    I mentioned this in another thread. There are no proper ads running to showcase what Sligo is about.

The new Mayor, Veronica Cawley, is aware of this and wants to change it...her words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

you do know with that mindset you will be the first one up against the wall

Viva le revolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'd ban tracksuits from being worn in public. It would make the place ten times nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

put more signs up for galway?? but seriously I would make the french market at the river a weekly thing and move both markets there too (organic and market yard) and make mor place to sit and eat and drink outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

put more signs up for galway?? but seriously I would make the french market at the river a weekly thing and move both markets there too (organic and market yard) and make mor place to sit and eat and drink outside.

I agree Mr T, 'cept for the Galway bit!

O'Connoll Street, Tobergal Lane, and the river area should be utilised at the weekend. It would really revitalise the area if we had markets availing of this mainly unused area, while also freeing up the Market Yard for much needed parking on a Saturday. It would also bring alot more traders. At the moment a visitor to Sligo is unlikely to find the market at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

To be honest, he has a good point. I am from Dublin, but my family are from Sligo and i know it and love it well. But Sligo has a terrible reputation for being full of scumbags. More than once, i have heard people dismiss Sligo because it is so easy to get started on if you go out to the pub.

So, in all seriousness, i think that if Sligo tried to clean up its image in this regard, and sort out its problems with anti social behaviour, it would become far more attractive to tourists

geuro wrote: »
    To be honest, he has a good point. I am from Dublin, but my family are from Sligo and i know it and love it well. But Sligo has a terrible reputation for being full of scumbags. More than once, i have heard people dismiss Sligo because it is so easy to get started on if you go out to the pub.

So, in all seriousness, i think that if Sligo tried to clean up its image in this regard, and sort out its problems with anti social behaviour, it would become far more attractive to tourists

I heard that before I moved here too, there does seem to be an image problem alright. Is it valid though? Is Sligo any worse than other similar sized towns for anti-social behaviour? Interesting point.

geuro wrote: »

Sorry but in my opinion that's pure bull.
    The same can be said of Ireland as a whole now.
    I've heard that dismissal of Ennis, Longford, Letterkenny, Donegal Town, Dundalk, Mullingar etc etc.

I was in castlebar a while back. A town which I thought always was quiet.
    Two lunatics caused absolute mayhem in the pub I was in. The problem?
    Drink and Drugs. These guys where whippits but thought they were Sly and Arnie! The problem is countrywide if not further afield.

I really don't think that affects tourism.

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »
    Sorry but in my opinion that's pure bull.
    The same can be said of Ireland as a whole now.
    I've heard that dismissal of Ennis, Longford, Letterkenny, Donegal Town, Dundalk, Mullingar etc etc.

I was in castlebar a while back. A town which I thought always was quiet.
    Two lunatics caused absolute mayhem in the pub I was in. The problem?
    Drink and Drugs. These guys where whippits but thought they were Sly and Arnie! The problem is countrywide if not further afield.

I really don't think that affects tourism.

Just my two cents.

I think it would affect Irish tourists coming here though. As I said I heard it before I moved here from several people and chose to ignore the advice and move here anyway, and I love it here. Yes every town has thier scumbags, but is the perception out there that Sligo has more than most? If so its not going to help. I have no idea what the statistics are, and often, general scumbaggery goes unreported anyway so its hard to gauge.

Taking yesterday as an example, The Cairde Festival in town, it was a completely peaceful, nice day. Not even a chav in attendance, never mind scumbags! But then Saturday night in town is going to be different anywhere and my experience of that is zilch the last few years, so I can't comment.

I think the term "scumbag" is being used far too often in my opinion. Can somebody please clarify this for me, when using the term scumbag what exactly are people talking about? Anti social behavior is too vast a topic and can can cover many aspects. Are people referring to drug dealers, crackheads, groups hanging around an estate at night, restaurants/bars attracting the wrong crowds?...etc. Is Sligo becoming a haven for drug pushers/sellers and thus inhibiting the growth of tourism because people are being put off coming here due to bad press. The same can be said for most towns in Ireland, it is a national problem that needs to be addressed and a lot of these other towns cannot boast to have the beauty Sligo has. Just my 2c!

sueme wrote: »
    I think it would affect Irish tourists coming here though. As I said I heard it before I moved here from several people and chose to ignore the advice and move here anyway, and I love it here. Yes every town has thier scumbags, but is the perception out there that Sligo has more than most? If so its not going to help. I have no idea what the statistics are, and often, general scumbaggery goes unreported anyway so its hard to gauge.

Thank God your not a sheep. In my opinion Longford & Letterkenny would have a worse rep but it's not for me to say as I would never have cause to be in Longford. I was in Letterkenny for a couple of years and anytime there was trouble it came from the ppl who landed for the night from elsewhere!
    DenMan wrote: »
    I think the term "scumbag" is being used far too often in my opinion. Can somebody please clarify this for me, when using the term scumbag what exactly are people talking about? Anti social behavior is too vast a topic and can can cover many aspects. Are people referring to drug dealers, crackheads, groups hanging around an estate at night, restaurants/bars attracting the wrong crowds?...etc. Is Sligo becoming a haven for drug pushers/sellers and thus inhibiting the growth of tourism because people are being put off coming here due to bad press. The same can be said for most towns in Ireland, it is a national problem that needs to be addressed and a lot of these other towns cannot boast to have the beauty Sligo has. Just my 2c!

I use the term to describe most groups you mentioned above. Drugs is a problem everywhere not just Sligo.
    Tourism in Dublin is not affected by drugs so I don't accept it as an excuse for the same here.
    Sligo has always been a "tough" town but I think the press we get is very unfair.
    We have enough problems with development without buying into the $hite that ppl say about our town.

This thread should be about positive steps the powers that be need to take in order to improve tourism which includes:

-Reputation (as a shopping mecca - ok that's far fetched!)
    Definately need to push Sligo on all fronts.
    Look at all the beauty/interesting spots we have:
    Rosses Point, Strandhill, Culleenamore, Streadagh (sp?) Skreen, Enniscrone, Lissadell etc.
    Union Wood, Dooney Rock, Hazelwood, Slios Wood, Rathcarrick Wood etc.
    Carramore Megalithic Tombs
    Co. Sligo Golf Club, Strandhill Golf Club, Castle Dargan, Ballymote & Tubbercurry golf clubs.
    Horseriding, Surfing, Mountain Climbing, hill walking, fishing, camping, treks etc etc.

There is tonnes to do. Sure we don't have Bowling, Go karting or paintball but hey lets not be petty.

-Nightlife (very poor 5 days of the week. Not sure how to address this but there must be away. You can go out and find a trad session in Galway 7 days a week.)

A fine cinema if not highly priced and a fantastic theatre that doesn't advertise as extensively as it should.

-Dining (pretty good selection available)

-Information & Accessability (sp?). The "new road" has totally isolated the bus & train station from the town and ppl coming off these don't know where to go. There should be a proper information poster or whatever that is kept up to date as your leaving this area. I'm sure numerous ppl have hopped into a taxi only to get dropped at the post office not knowing it was a 5 minute walk! I would have built a pedestianised bridge over the new road at the lord edwards street junction myself.

Anyway I think the things to do are there. Yes they can be improved and no I don't think Sligo's alledged bad reputation should hinder it.

Just my two cents!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I agree with Gillies point about the advertising. Sligo has a lot going for it: its a matter of getting the tourists here.
    I was in the main tourist office in Dublin which had different sections for different areas. In the Northwest section, Donegal was sorted with loads of nice flyers neatly arranged. The Sligo section had just a few donegal flyers upside down! Ive been there a couple of times and it was similar (although not been there the last year).
    Also, (again a while ago, may be changed now) I was in the airport and there was very little by the way of advertising. This may have changed now and I suppose that would be a particular missed oppurtunity for Strandhill based tourism business.
    I suppose how tourists (foreign in particular) actually find out about places to visit is important. A stronger internet prescence is vital to compete better with the Kerrys and also our profile in books like lonely planet and rough guide could be improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

I think there is a lot we can do ourselves to improve the profile of Sligo. A lot of visitors to Ireland, especially those from the US are looking for the Ireland of the Cead Mile Failtes where every one is very friendly. I know our society has changed a lot in the last few years and every one is under pressure time wise but it might be worth remembering the next time you see a coach load of tourists wandering down O'Connell street that its very easy to smile and say hello or just ask how they are enjoying there stay - remember all those dollars in the local economy.

Also a lot of visitors plan there visit through forums like tripadvisor maybe we should establish a Sligo presence there.

Just a few thoughts

Sulukie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Gillie wrote: »
    Thank God your not a sheep. In my opinion Longford & Letterkenny would have a worse rep but it's not for me to say as I would never have cause to be in Longford. I was in Letterkenny for a couple of years and anytime there was trouble it came from the ppl who landed for the night from elsewhere! I use the term to describe most groups you mentioned above. Drugs is a problem everywhere not just Sligo. Tourism in Dublin is not affected by drugs so I don't accept it as an excuse for the same here. Sligo has always been a "tough" town but I think the press we get is very unfair. We have enough problems with development without buying into the $hite that ppl say about our town. This thread should be about positive steps the powers that be need to take in order to improve tourism which includes: -Reputation (as a shopping mecca - ok that's far fetched!) Definately need to push Sligo on all fronts. Look at all the beauty/interesting spots we have: Rosses Point, Strandhill, Culleenamore, Streadagh (sp?) Skreen, Enniscrone, Lissadell etc. Union Wood, Dooney Rock, Hazelwood, Slios Wood, Rathcarrick Wood etc. Carramore Megalithic Tombs Co. Sligo Golf Club, Strandhill Golf Club, Castle Dargan, Ballymote & Tubbercurry golf clubs. Horseriding, Surfing, Mountain Climbing, hill walking, fishing, camping, treks etc etc. There is tonnes to do. Sure we don't have Bowling, Go karting or paintball but hey lets not be petty. -Nightlife (very poor 5 days of the week. Not sure how to address this but there must be away. You can go out and find a trad session in Galway 7 days a week.) A fine cinema if not highly priced and a fantastic theatre that doesn't advertise as extensively as it should. -Dining (pretty good selection available) -Information & Accessability (sp?). The "new road" has totally isolated the bus & train station from the town and ppl coming off these don't know where to go. There should be a proper information poster or whatever that is kept up to date as your leaving this area. I'm sure numerous ppl have hopped into a taxi only to get dropped at the post office not knowing it was a 5 minute walk! I would have built a pedestianised bridge over the new road at the lord edwards street junction myself. Anyway I think the things to do are there. Yes they can be improved and no I don't think Sligo's alledged bad reputation should hinder it. Just my two cents!:)
    +1 gillie,way to keep the thread on course.Regards the theatre(and thd niland and factory)there is definitely not enough advertising.The royal in CB is adverting gigs and shows 6 months or more in advance.We're lucky to get 3 months here for the big events.And the papers only run a piece on the wk the show is on.Plays dont run long enough and are often below par.The hawkswell is always bleeding money afaik.If i were to do things ito of entertainment i would advertise the models comedy nites to the hilt and make the hawkswell run like the peacock.With regards music you're right again.I know my sister would love more gigs(just finished her B.Mus with a 2.1 but most places don't offer gigs or put too many restrictions on the musicians.Gigs create gigs and the more there are the more musicians will want to play here.I'm always hearing ads for tours who play venues like those in sligo but they never play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd just like to point out that you can find a traditional session in Sligo any day of the week as well:

Monday : Harp Tavern
    Tuesday : Shoot the Crows
    Wednesday : Shoot the Crows, McGarrigles
    Thursday : McGarrigles, Earley's
    Friday : The Stables, Foley's
    Saturday : Tobergal Lane, Foley's
    Sunday : Donaghy's

(Now you know why I needed the numbers for all those pubs a few weeks back - still haven't been in to inquire about their trad sessions though. What can I say, I'm a lazy bastard.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Actually, as Sligo Residents we can work to improve Sligo's Tourism if we want to.

As has been mentionned, there's a website called TripAdvisor, which lets you create an account and write articles about attractions you've been to. It lets you advise people on how to get to them etc. The more information is available online, the better for people to decide to come to Sligo.

I've been meaning to write a few articles myself... I'll get around to it eventually!

Perhaps a boards account can be set up and access given via pm or else one person in charge of the account that puts up the different pieces?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tourist attractions would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

There was a lot of talk about Sligo's tourism, its impact on jobs, local economy, etc in another thread and now I just want to get peoples ideas for what could make it better.

5quexwntnwg2nwbwzlx1.jpg

come see Sligo....

ITS GONE!

Tourist attractions would be nice.
    we'll put you on a plinth on o'connell street.Lolz at agent smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Xiney wrote: »
    Actually, as Sligo Residents we can work to improve Sligo's Tourism if we want to.

As has been mentionned, there's a website called TripAdvisor, which lets you create an account and write articles about attractions you've been to. It lets you advise people on how to get to them etc. The more information is available online, the better for people to decide to come to Sligo.

I've been meaning to write a few articles myself... I'll get around to it eventually!

Tripadvisor is brilliant. My dad is a local expert on it and people are really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Walk around Sligo on a week night during the summer. There's nothing. Nobody. That's partially because we have nearly no tourists. It's also why we have nearly no tourists. The few who do come don't find much to recommend it on. The county (as in Strandhill, Enniscrone, Rosses Point and Mullaghmore) do fine, but they're not the sort of tourists who want to spend too much time in town.
    The scumbags (my definition is someone who imposes themselves on random strangers, and carries a threat of violence regardless of their size. Just my view on the matter.) are in every town. Take away the revellers though and all you see are the scumbags. They'll always be there as alot of their lives revolve around hanging around the middle of town and "cruisin'" around. If there were tourists, they'd be lost in the crowd.
    The pubs make very little effort to attract people. They found it was hit and miss if the entertainment paid for itself so many don't bother anymore. A pub can get by fine with a single barman or maybe two. Those low overheads mean a landlord can make a decent profit with a low turnover. That's something clubs and restaurants can't really do. They need bigger numbers to survive. If the pubs aren't doing the job, the other places suffer.
    A concerted effort needs to be made in the town. O'Connell Street needs to be re-paved with appropriate street furniture located there. There should be a few sets of public toilets built in the town center. The Castle Street area needs to be redeveloped and thet redevelopment should be on a fixed schedule. No faffing about for years with teleporters and scaffolding.
    The Tourist Office should be ensuring that Sligo receives exposure equal to other counties who have a profitable tourist industry.
    The town needs to be heavily policed at night. Two squads outside Abrakebabra is pathetic and useless.
    The River should be cleaned up. It's a mess. They should also consider building a weir at Barton Smiths to increase the water level upstream.
    The eastern bypass should be built and then promote Sligo as a pedestrian friendly shopping town with nice cafés and bars and ample parking. Not some filthy, traffic choked market town, masquerading as a city.

The royal in CB is adverting gigs and shows 6 months or more in advance.We're lucky to get 3 months here for the big events.

I hear ya! I have a pamphlet (sp?) on the desk here adverstising for the royal theatre from July til March 09 and includes:
    Des Bishop
    Barney
    Wee Daniel
    Saw Docs
    Jose Gonzalez
    ShaYne "don't forget the Y in my name" Ward
    Riverdance
    Katie Melua (Yummy!)
    The Chieftains
    Footloose the Musical
    The Vienna boys choir
    Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story
    Bonnie Tyler (I would if i was older!)
    Brendan Grace
    Disney's High School Musical
    and last but not least Kenny f'n Rogers!

That's what were up against.

Now. All these are on in a Hotel which had the forsight to build a decent theatre onto it. That's all. Why can't we? Could the Clarence hold any of these things or even the Hawkswell?
    Xiney wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that you can find a traditional session in Sligo any day of the week as well:

Monday : Harp Tavern
    Tuesday : Shoot the Crows
    Wednesday : Shoot the Crows, McGarrigles
    Thursday : McGarrigles, Earley's
    Friday : The Stables, Foley's
    Saturday : Tobergal Lane, Foley's
    Sunday : Donaghy's

My bad!
    But wouldn't go near Earleys or Foleys myself tbh.
    What's Tobergal Lane? Is that the new restaurant across from BB's?

I saw buena vista social club at the clarence(think it was the clarence?!)it held about a thousand seated i think.But since its not a purpose built stage area you wouldn't get half those people listed to play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Advertising is the key, then good pricing. Sligo Tourist Board, if they put their mind to it, could quite easily offer package deals eg., team up Aer Arrann with some of the hotels & offer discounts on flights & accomodation.

There's a hotelier outside Galway offering cheap mid-week breaks plus a tank of petrol (well, €50 worth) when you leave. All that's needed is a bit of innovation.

There's a hotelier outside Galway offering cheap mid-week breaks plus a tank of petrol (well, €50 worth) when you leave. All that's needed is a bit of innovation.

Yes I heard that one. That's all it takes is a bit of common sense!

Cobbled streets people, that whats needed. If it works for Kilkenny it will work here too!! Makes the place beautiful and ads a touch of distinction to a street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DenMan wrote: »
    Cobbled streets people, that whats needed. If it works for Kilkenny it will work here too!! Makes the place beautiful and ads a touch of distinction to a street.

A load of cobblers. :)

Advertisement