Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do to improve Sligo's tourism?*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Gillie wrote: »
    And Kian Egan surfs there so it must be good!:D

Oh Sh*t! I'm gonna get banned by Tak for mentioning a member of Whestlife! Oh well might as well go down in a blaze of glory!
    Actuallty to be fair go old Aine has probably done a lot for tourism in Sligo!

I'm sure Podge and Rodge would love to take a trip up here!

Gillie banned. PM me in 1 year to have access restored! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

takola wrote: »
    Gillie banned. PM me in 1 year to have access restored! :D

I'll Be BACK! You'll see!:cool:

Sorry Gillie, I had to edit that picture out, It was making my eyes bleed! :(

Back on topic then. I'm not familiar with any of these families that have been mentioned but can everyone please be careful how they word things in regards to them. :)

Sorry Gillie, I had to edit that picture out, It was making my eyes bleed
    I would expect nothing less!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Mrs.T wrote: »
    We still have our tv card from Scotland. They have adverts now about visiting Sligo and North West, looks quite appealing.

The last time we went to Lissadell beach we saw this.... (please see attachment. If somebody has a spare moment can you please tell me how to get a photo on the message). Probably not too good for the tourism?

Oh yuck thats gross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The McEniff's have a sh*t load of stuff in Sligo too.
    You not to fond of them?

No. I've no problem with them at all. No begrudgery. Just pointing out that Bundoran, which they have much interest in, is better publicised and ran than Sligo, where they have a smaller business interest.
    They're behind Bundoran's festival which got Meatloaf, Chris De Burg and Shayne Ward. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it's populist entertainment. Sligo Live is by comparison an atrocious snoot fest with unknown random acts. See here: http://www.sligolive.ie/news.html
    All that and a great football manager too. Fair play to them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i would have aditional flights in and out of sligo airport, as well as the current dublin and manchester flights, prehaps flights to other parts of the island, ie, belfast, cork, waterford, now i know there would not be the demand everyday, but even two or three times a week to said locations, and prehaps aditional UK flights or europe similar to the new routes from other regional airports in the country

now this can work both ways, increased people coming in the the county, but also a service to the current population, meaning easier access for them to other places

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

irish-stew wrote: »
    i would have aditional flights in and out of sligo airport

:eek:

There's an airport in Sligo?

janeybabe wrote: »

yes

;)

It's because we're so far away from civilsation that the only means of transport is by air.

We're hoping to have roads at some point in the future. It's a slow process though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's because we're so far away from civilsation that the only means of transport is by air.

We're hoping to have roads at some point in the future. It's a slow process though. :D

Lol, seriously though, I honestly didn't realise!

I also told my dad and he told me to stop lying.

although remember takola, no run way, so planes dont take off or land, new arrivals need to parachute in

:D

Haha! We do though really. Strandhill Airport.
    although remember takola, no run way, so planes dont take off or land, new arrivals need to parachute in

New arrivals aren't welcome around these here parts. :D

There are daily flights to and from dublin and 3/4 times a week there are flights to Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

New arrivals aren't welcome around these here parts. :D

:(

Anyway, I was just thinking the other day that a flight from Sligo to Belfast would be a really good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

It would be handy alright, no doubt about that. Very good for travelling to gigs in Belfast instead of public transport. :(

Or even Shannon or Cork! Try getting to Cork/Limerick/Kerry without a car?

My other half is going to Limerick tomorrow and I have a friend coming up from there. 5 hours on a bus for the two of them. /Sigh.

Seriously, it's a joke!

Xiney wrote: »
    :(

Anyway, I was just thinking the other day that a flight from Sligo to Belfast would be a really good addition.
    DenMan wrote: »
    It would be handy alright, no doubt about that. Very good for travelling to gigs in Belfast instead of public transport. :(
    My other half is going to Limerick tomorrow and I have a friend coming up from there. 5 hours on a bus for the two of them. /Sigh.

Seriously, it's a joke!

not that i'm trying to take the credit but i'm sure i mentioned the air routes idea on the last page

:p;):p;)

it would be great though, and considering the airport is so close to the town of sligo and on main routes to other areas of signicant interest, its definatly an area i'm surprised hasn't benn tapped into yet

Seriously, it's a joke!

It's over 6 hours in total with stopover in Galway.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

il gatto wrote: »
    No. I've no problem with them at all. No begrudgery. Just pointing out that Bundoran, which they have much interest in, is better publicised and ran than Sligo, where they have a smaller business interest.
    They're behind Bundoran's festival which got Meatloaf, Chris De Burg and Shayne Ward. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it's populist entertainment. Sligo Live is by comparison an atrocious snoot fest with unknown random acts. See here: http://www.sligolive.ie/news.html
    All that and a great football manager too. Fair play to them.:)

QFT!
    The McEniffes may well own the majority of bundoran, and yes the lineup of acts is surely to line their pockets but they do a lot for that town, not to mention the entertainment that is going to be provided. Bundoran is tiny by comparison to sligo and look at the amount that is going on there. One would wonder if our glorious chamber of commerce would ever step up to the plate on this one....... methinks not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Espescially if they are Aslan...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It's over 6 hours in total with stopover in Galway.:(

Yeah my sister studied at UL for four years! And she's going back in September for a Masters. Just teh trip to Galway is hard enough, I'm spoilt from the train to Maynooth, it was great compared to the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Post number 85 and yet another post with no ideas on how to promote Sligo's tourism.

GG66 wrote: »
    Post number 85 and yet another post with no ideas on how to promote Sligo's tourism.

i thought it was ways on improving it, like my sugestion on the air links, not promoting it

:)

???WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

???WTF?

just checked back on this thread after seeing so many posts & found posts about Aine, McEniffes etc.... Just failed to see the relevance to the topic.

Sorry, don't let me distract ye

If one of the mods feel the thread has strayed too much from the topic we'll be sure to whip the guys back into line GG66.

just checked back on this thread after seeing so many posts & found posts about Aine, McEniffes etc.... Just failed to see the relevance to the topic.

Sorry, don't let me distract ye

Aine's relevance would come into play with her "videos".
    If you've ever seen them (lucky if you haven't) they are normally filmed at Sligo's premiere locations like Dooney rock and Slios wood so in a cruel sort of way she is promoting Sligo's beauty spots.

As for the McEniffs. As they deal primarily in the Hospitality and Lesiure trade I think their influence (if any) in Sligo is relevant to tourism in a certain way.

For example the Music venue on Markievicz Road was owned by them and could have sorted out the lack lustre music scene in Sligo which would affect tourism.

Just my two cents!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

If you type in Sligo into YouTube there is some shocking stuff there.
    It can't be helping Sligo.
    The Aine Chambers videos are shocking but there is some other stuff that is shameful :O

Advertisement