Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do to improve Sligo's tourism?*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm with takola.
    It is embarrassing.
    It might not be as embarrassing if she wore nice clothes and got a hair cut.
    Also she could practise her poses a bit more!!!
    Still, it's a laugh though!
    She must like people laughing at her not with her

Who is she anyway? It's a great laugh. I think she is from a forgotten era I believe, a different time.

takola wrote: »
    I think we can get back on topic now. Aine is boring me.

Quite right. let's get back on topic.

I saw a couple of guys over from Holland at the Clarence earlier. Had a quick chat as you do. There they were sitting outside having a pint and having a great chat. That's the way it's supposed to be. A great way to improve the town's tourism. It was a warm day but it was a great image. Very continental Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

DenMan wrote: »
    Quite right. let's get back on topic.

I saw a couple of guys over from Holland at the Clarence earlier. Had a quick chat as you do. There they were sitting outside having a pint and having a great chat. That's the way it's supposed to be. A great way to improve the town's tourism. It was a warm day but it was a great image. Very continental Europe.

They get everywhere, those Dutchies!:P :D *Runs and hides from Mr.T!* (Only joking Darling!)
    Sligo has a serious lack of terraces in front of eating and drinking places. There are improvements in town though. We really miss going out on a sunny day sitting watching the world go by......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

takola wrote: »
    I think we can get back on topic now. Aine is boring me.

This whole thing is boring.
    Later!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

How would i improve sligos tourism in one big swoop? I'd paint St. Angelas green and plant loads of large (very large) trees around it. Then I would provide free accommodation there to returning older emigrants on a yearly basis for a holiday, as a good will gesture to our forgotton people.
    That should give the tourist product a good boost. :) Well it would give me one anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

tuppence wrote: »
    as a good will gesture to our forgotton people.

Hi Tuppence. Who are the forgotten people?

Cheers

Gillie wrote: »
    Hi Tuppence. Who are the forgotten people?

Cheers

Alot of our older Irish emigrants in London for example hit on hard times. Sent over, sent home remittances to help the rest keep afloat. Ones that went over in the 40's and 50's growing older there now. A fair few of the men had it particularly bad. Exploited oft times by their own, working on the buildings, bad health, living in bedsits, alot with alcohol problems, keep the head down in the bad times, nothing to show for it, frightened to come home, but coming home in boxes now ...the kings of kilburn high road.:(

http://www.aisling.org.uk/html/home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Alot of our older Irish emigrants in London for example hit on hard times. Sent over, sent home remittances to help the rest keep afloat. Ones that went over in the 40's and 50's growing older there now. A fair few of the men had it particularly bad. Exploited oft times by their own, working on the buildings, bad health, living in bedsits, alot with alcohol problems, keep the head down in the bad times, nothing to show for it, frightened to come home, but coming home in boxes now ...the kings of kilburn high road.:(

http://www.aisling.org.uk/html/home.php

cricklewood, hamersmith, shepards bush, etc etc, although to be honest, i thought you were talking about a war memoral my self

although tbh, not sure what this would do to help tourism, would be a nice jesture for the local people though

i think along with improved transport links, ie, the airport, think sligo needs to exploit its assets, ie, its lititure history (bad spelling), yeats, etc, its arts and its culture, and its areas of natural beauty, ie, benbulben, rosses point, its outdoor activites, ie, surfing at strand hill, and the WRC, after hosting it last year, and again in jan 2009

irish-stew wrote: »
    cricklewood, hamersmith, shepards bush, etc etc, although to be honest, i thought you were talking about a war memoral my self

although tbh, not sure what this would do to help tourism, would be a nice jesture for the local people though

i think along with improved transport links, ie, the airport, think sligo needs to exploit its assets, ie, its lititure history (bad spelling), yeats, etc, its arts and its culture, and its areas of natural beauty, ie, benbulben, rosses point, its outdoor activites, ie, surfing at strand hill, and the WRC, after hosting it last year, and again in jan 2009

I dunno, some of the best spenders (and even the ones that cant have to spend in this place, its not like we are a budget destination!) are the better off of our returning emigrants home for the summer. Theres a big influx of people between Scotland and Donegal etc I don’t think we should just put a monument up for our emigrants when there walking monuments out there that need our help. But of course we could do both! ;)
    I suppose in relation to out assets it’s a matter of respecting them and preserving them, not destroying our natural resources for short-term gain. E.g. St. Angela’s is a point in short term thinking.

I dunno, some of the best spenders (and even the ones that cant have to spend in this place, its not like we are a budget destination!) are the better off of our returning emigrants home for the summer. Theres a big influx of people between Scotland and Donegal etc I don’t think we should just put a monument up for our emigrants when there walking monuments out there that need our help. But of course we could do both! ;)
    I suppose in relation to out assets it’s a matter of respecting them and preserving them, not destroying our natural resources for short-term gain. E.g. St. Angela’s is a point in short term thinking.

You really hate St Angela's, don't you?! I would hate to study there because I'd be watching Lough Gill all the time. Is this the wrong time to say that I quite like the building :eek:
    What about having water sports on the Loughs? Wouldn't that bring some tourists in?

Happy Birthday by the way xoxo;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i'm not sugestiong gaming arcades, water parks and night clubs at our coastal spots (god one fundoran is enough) but prehaps more organised tours of these places, every summer you see fleets of coaches around varies parts of donegal, from different parts of the UK, dont think i've seen to many in sligo,

i'm not sugestiong gaming arcades, water parks and night clubs at our coastal spots (god one fundoran is enough) but prehaps more organised tours of these places, every summer you see fleets of coaches around varies parts of donegal, from different parts of the UK, dont think i've seen to many in sligo,

Maybe something a bit more along the lines of the sustainable tourism idea eg the greenbox. Is Sligo in that? I dont think Donegal is........Oh I lie it is.South Donegal that is! ;)
    http://www.greenbox.ie/about-greenbox.php

*Are you having a barney with me on my birthday?:(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You're right. Sligo isn't really on the list of places to see in Ireland. My dad helps a lot of tourists plan trips on Tripadvisor and it's very rare that they would mention Sligo.

If there are places in Sligo (I've never been!) that are worth a visit I'll make sure he mentions them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Drove through town last night. Passed through at 10ish and again at midnight. It was deserted. A few taxi's and local "cruisers" doing laps. No people. Pubs were empty. A guy I knew went to Toff's and Envy to find where the crowd was. He counted less than 100 customers between the clubs. If I arrived into Sligo on a night like that, I'd be leaving again next morning. Truly a miserable, desolate looking place at night. All it needed was tumbleweeds and we could sell it as a wild west ghost town.

il gatto wrote: »
    Drove through town last night. Passed through at 10ish and again at midnight. It was deserted. A few taxi's and local "cruisers" doing laps. No people. Pubs were empty. A guy I knew went to Toff's and Envy to find where the crowd was. He counted less than 100 customers between the clubs. If I arrived into Sligo on a night like that, I'd be leaving again next morning. Truly a miserable, desolate looking place at night. All it needed was tumbleweeds and we could sell it as a wild west ghost town.

That's shocking news.

We got a babysitter a few months ago so that we could experience the "nightlife" in Sligo. After walking around town, going into various pubs we decided to head back to our local because as you said il gatto, deserted! There were more people in our local than there were in the pubs in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think there was a funeral on that day. Which may have put people off going to town?

There could've been but funerals never have any affect on that sort of thing. Even if they're potentially "troublesome" funerals. Towns like that every night, when the students aren't around (bless their grubby little souls). I just stated that night as an example. It'll be just as bad from Monday to Friday this week too. Sligo is reduced to a one night a week town at this stage.:(

There could've been but funerals never have any affect on that sort of thing. Even if they're potentially "troublesome" funerals. Towns like that every night, when the students aren't around (bless their grubby little souls). I just stated that night as an example. It'll be just as bad from Monday to Friday this week too. Sligo is reduced to a one night a week town at this stage.:(

I'm really curious as to what you do! You generally post in the middle of the night.

This funeral was a "troublesome" one alright, it would put me off going into town, but I would imagine alot of people would be unaware generally, so it shouldn't affect business.

sueme wrote: »
    I'm really curious as to what you do! You generally post in the middle of the night.

This funeral was a "troublesome" one alright, it would put me off going into town, but I would imagine alot of people would be unaware generally, so it shouldn't affect business.

I work alot at night. Also a certain amount during the day. As to what I do, um. It's nothing dodgy, but I'd rather not say. It's not all that interesting either. It's on the fringes of Sligo's "booming" hospitallity industry.

• Advertisement

I work alot at night. Also a certain amount during the day. As to what I do, um. It's nothing dodgy, but I'd rather not say. It's not all that interesting either. It's on the fringes of Sligo's "booming" hospitallity industry.

I never thought you were dodgy before. Now your off the scale dodgy! :D

sueme wrote: »
    I never thought you were dodgy before. Now your off the scale dodgy! :D

I can see how it looks like that alright:D

I can see how it looks like that alright:D

Friend request sent. I like dodgy mates me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Apart from the last few lolzworthy posts,this thread is pretty depressing.Maybe we should just put a big fence round the town and start again down the road?

Apart from the last few lolzworthy posts,this thread is pretty depressing.Maybe we should just put a big fence round the town and start again down the road?

The fence would only get STV sprayed on it and then be burnt or stolen:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

From my perspective, Sligo actually gets a lot more tourists than I would have expected. And we generally get some cool types as well, the ones that want "off the beaten track". It's the ones that don't want off the beaten track that complain.

The tourists I talk to really think Sligo is charming (poor, deluded souls) and that it has a lot to offer. They also think there could be more resources for them in terms of public phone boxes and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »
    From my perspective, Sligo actually gets a lot more tourists than I would have expected. And we generally get some cool types as well, the ones that want "off the beaten track". It's the ones that don't want off the beaten track that complain.

The tourists I talk to really think Sligo is charming (poor, deluded souls) and that it has a lot to offer. They also think there could be more resources for them in terms of public phone boxes and the like.

More resources eh? Perhaps some public toilets wouldn't go amiss?:D I mean, we are only paying for them to be in storage for the last few years after all..... Wonder mind, the geniuses that have procrastinated over the location of these toilets haven't the foresight to suggest that they are placed in O'Connel St. I mean, it is only padestrianised after all...........

As for phone boxes, they're a dying breed I'm afraid. Not many people use them any more and so the cost of the upkeep is far greater than the money taken in by them. Thats why their been taken out nowadays. There was a time when all the councellors had it on their agenda that they demanded a phone box in their local area. Funny how things change isn't it?

Big_Mac wrote: »
    More resources eh? Perhaps some public toilets wouldn't go amiss?:D I mean, we are only paying for them to be in storage for the last few years after all..... Wonder mind, the geniuses that have procrastinated over the location of these toilets haven't the foresight to suggest that they are placed in O'Connel St. I mean, it is only padestrianised after all...........

As for phone boxes, they're a dying breed I'm afraid. Not many people use them any more and so the cost of the upkeep is far greater than the money taken in by them. Thats why their been taken out nowadays. There was a time when all the councellors had it on their agenda that they demanded a phone box in their local area. Funny how things change isn't it?

You must have missed the announcement (there was none, for a reason). Sligo's super-loo is located in Mitchell-Curley Park since last year. It's a handy 2 mile trek from O'Connell Street. So if you are caught short, plan at least an hour in advance. I believe that'd be an oxymoron then. Makes a change from regular morons which Sligo has a proliferation of.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm from Dublin but I really like Sligo. I haven't been to many places in Ireland as pretty as Streedagh Strand for example, all the countryside around there is lovely. Also the view from Strandhill as you're driving into Sligo town is nice too. Yes the nightlife is lacking, it's strange because I would have thought Sligo is as big or almost as big as Kilkenny for example, yet it doesn't have 1/4 of it's nightlife. What's up with that? People are much friendlier in sligo than dublin, but that's not hard. People talk to you in the men's jacks asking how your night's going. I don't live in Ireland anymore but i'll be back to Sligo for sure whenever I go home, primarily for the surfing but it's a great place to get away from Dublin, I don't understand why more people don't go, but it's fine with me at least it's not overrun with pink-cowboy-hat-branding dublin girls a la Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

You must have missed the announcement (there was none, for a reason). Sligo's super-loo is located in Mitchell-Curley Park since last year. It's a handy 2 mile trek from O'Connell Street. So if you are caught short, plan at least an hour in advance. I believe that'd be an oxymoron then. Makes a change from regular morons which Sligo has a proliferation of.:rolleyes:

That was rubbish printed by someone! That loo is there for Mitchell-Curley park users and is not Sligo's public toilet.

Advertisement