Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank card reader inevitable? any options- maybe banks using SMS in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

*shakes fist at stupid card reader* are these things inevitable??

The other day, I got this "card reader" in the mail... it rang a bell- oh! that weird card i got in the mail weeks ago with no magnetic strip on it- where did i put that thing? my boyfriend who is also with ulsterbank didn't know anything about it, i received no other information about it. You'd expect some kind of posters, signs, maybe glaring neon in the bank... but no.

i went to make a payment online today, and it asked for this card reader to be used... what a pain in the butt... kinda destroys the point of anytime online banking... ? i called telephone banking and managed the transaction, no bother.

i can see they're trying to save themselves from more fraud... but is this the only way?

i read online about a smarter bank (apparently in south africa) which uses SMS codes for the same purpose. (you initiate a transaction, bank send you a code, you use it, voila). now that sounds good- i don't mind carrying my mobile with me.

does anyone know of a bank in ireland using the SMS option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I dont think any bank in Ireland uses an SMS validation option. Most would use some sort of code generator.

I'd guess you are referring to FA - just got one myself - I agree its a pain in the a**

The code generator (activcard) for NIB is pretty compact, as is the Rabo one. Cant speak for any others. NIB do SMS transaction notification - you get a text when a transaction (Dr or Cr) exceeds a specified value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I dislike code readers. I'm shortly leaving UB as a result. I complained about the AIB Code Card but honestly it's the best of the bunch in terms of portability and ease of use !

Advertisement