Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something sporty

Options
  • 04-07-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Right, sorry for another of these threads but I'm in a big flap about this.......

I'm 24, I've a 2003 Volvo S60 2.4D5 and it's a lovely car. Before this I had a 2004 Saab 9-3 1.8t, again a pleasant car to have.

Thing is I feel like I'm having my midlike crisis now!!!I'm 24!!! I want to own something sporty before I end up in a Hyundai Matrix or some MPV(no offence to you that have one). I've roughly €15,000 to spend (building house).
    So do I get a Vauxhall vx220, a Lotus Elise, Mazda RX8 or something like a honda s2000. I don't care about impracticality anymore...........or am I just going mad 'cos these clearly aren't everyday cars like what I currently have.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

All nice cars!! I'm in the same boat myself 25 & I feel I have to move on from my boring yet extremly reliable primera! Personally I'd do the rx8

I'm thinking of going for a Mk2 MR2 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

I was about to buy an RX8 last week, completely off the cuff, but was told about a return of about 25mpg. Dunno if thats correct but it's off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Elise is the best of what you've said so far... great little cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I'd have to veer towards the RX8 or S2000. VX220 has patheticly basic spec afaik, elise just suggests trouser stuffing required ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Elise or VX220 would be the best handling
    S2000 probably quickest
    rx8 - most practical ( but still a hoot )

I would say check insurance - all of these would be bloody hard to insure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

coin wrote: »
    I was about to buy an RX8 last week, completely off the cuff, but was told about a return of about 25mpg. Dunno if thats correct but it's off putting.
    That sounds about right. It might be lower if you do a lot of urban mileage or have a heavy right foot. Wankel engines tend to be very thirsty.

That said, if you're not doing big miles and want a sporty car it may be worth it. I get about 25MPG from my car on average but it's worth it.

RX8 eats petrol and oil

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

RX8 - i generally get about 330K for about 55 litres.

This is mostly urban traffic.

Fantastic car, but in the rain the back tends to slide a bit more.

One other thing to note is that the engine in the RX8 won't like lots of short commutes.

but if you do get the RX8, get the 231bhp engine

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    get the 231bhp engine

Is there any other? :D

yea, there's a 192 but there's a big difference.... anyway, get the Elise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If you get an elise make sure it has the toyota engine, the K-series rover is a nightmare. Two people I know have had them with the rover engine and both blew head gaskets and one wrecked its gearbox.

The vx220 (or opel speedster if its an irish car) is a good choice if you can get in it. I'm 6'3" and I had to take out a roof bar to get in. The turbo is mental tho, easily the fastest of the cars you mentioned.

What about a boxster? A mate just got an 'S' and its going well for him. They're hard to shift so you might get a reasonably priced one. just make sure you go for the 2.7 or the 3.2 S as the 2.5's wear out cylinder bores due to nikasil lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

lovely Audi TT convertable on carzone, only 8 k on clock, as in 8 km not 8,000 for €34k !

Secman

WOOHOO, just got quoted €1505 for the Elise!!!

Nise one, just have to sell the Volvo & go Lotus hunting!!

Ferris wrote: »
    If you get an elise make sure it has the toyota engine, the K-series rover is a nightmare. Two people I know have had them with the rover engine and both blew head gaskets and one wrecked its gearbox.
    Definitely. The K-series Elise is well known for gasket issues. That said, an Elise in the OP's price range will be a K-series.
    Ferris wrote: »
    What about a boxster?.
    secman wrote: »
    lovely Audi TT convertable on carzone, only 8 k on clock, as in 8 km not 8,000 for €34k !
    Not on the OP's €15k budget though...

The K-series Elise should be ok if well maintained.

In my opinion Laser Blue is the best colour and there are 2 here
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/547850.htm
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/590820.htm - hard top with this, worth about 1,500

Unfortunately though with a price range of 15k, you'll probably be looking at an S1 elise - they're still great cars though and if you can get one with S2 upgrades or the sport 135 then you're laughing.

If you do see a cheap S2, make sure it's never been crashed and repaired... elises should be scraped and sold for parts after a crash and not repaired, they'll never handle the same again!

thanks for all these replies, very quick.

No body has tried to back me out of this so cheers!!!

That laser blue really looks stunning!

How about this one:
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/594125.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

He said sporty. The TT is no sports car.

Guys, how do you work out the VRT for a Elise on the ros.ie website?

• Advertisement

Normally you enter the details of the car that you're interested in on this form. It will let you select the exact model and give you the current VRT payment for it. Unfortunately, Lotus don't appear in the list of manufacturers.

The other bad news is that as of July 1st an Elise will probably have gone from the 25% CC based rate to the 32% CO2 based rate. I've got no idea what the OMSP would be for one.

Check out the Motor Tax payments as well.
    If you inport the rx-8 now, you'll be paying 2K a year motor tax!!!!

You don't want that with the elise (although i'm not too sure of the emmissions for an elise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

coin wrote: »

25 MPG is only if you're lucky. I get more like 16 and love every minute. If you're concerned about fuel economy then the RX8 isn't for you, even though you seem to have decided on a Lotus. It's one of the few cars that would tempt me away from the RX8 :)
    Triangle wrote: »
    Check out the Motor Tax payments as well.
    If you inport the rx-8 now, you'll be paying 2K a year motor tax!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd only pay 2k a year if you imported an RX8 from 2008, any of the years before that and it'd be 500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nemoid

Mate of mine had a silver VX220/Speedster there about a year ago...seriously quick and superb handling machine if u can avoid carrying kiddies...same chassis as a Lotus Elise but a damn site cheaper and more reliable as i've have heard nothing but scare stories bout those K Series engines :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

i picked up a vx220 last month and i am loving it. i was also thinking elise, but for that money its gonna be an s1 and i reckon the vx is a nicer and better car. as for juice im gettin in excess of 30mpg. im 6ft and big build and have no prob gettin in and out.

class car, you will defo get noticed in it

Busy last few weeks. Went for test drive in 2 Lotus Elise (1999&2000). Both turned out to be in rag order.Rang first "dealer", gave him 6 hours notice of my arrival,because it was going to be a 2hour drive to get there.Got there eventually, car filthy inside and out.I physically had to push the car to start it.Couldn't get it going!!Was told that they'd try a different battery if I hung around for a couple of hours!!

Second one was also in bad condition, seats torn up, rain seeping and drenching the cabin.Was just so disheartening because I was set on one.But they're serious craic to drive!

So drove home in my Volvo...............4 miles from home flywheel went and I ground to a halt.:mad: So had to get new flywheel & cylinder at cost of €1500!!

Trying to find a nice s2000, think I need something with a boot.HAve even considered Alfa GT. Think I should confer with you guys again??

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

i'm sorry about this - but i really question the technical awareness - and indeed the age of some of the posters on this when they actually recommend a lotus.

k-series engine is a p.o.s btw...

toyota engine is i'm sure great - but you're spending money.

And then what have you?! A lotus?! You would need to be an enthusiast to operate something like that everyday. Maybe you are though, I don't know!

Honda s2000 would be 10 times the car. Honda don't operate on a shoe-string for a start.

I'd steer well clear of the RX8 for the reasons people have said - and the impending lack of any resale value.

Anyway - best of luck! Don't buy a Lotus though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

+1

Lotus took an engine that was already fond of blowing head gaskets and put it into a tiny restrictive engine (fiberglass) bay with no airflow. Then they ran long hoses to a front mounted rad without uprating the waterpump.

All this in a light sportscar where it was going to have the nuts revved off it. The lad I know who has one rues the day he bought it. He actually can't get rid of the thing at the mo as it never runs well enough for long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

groupb wrote: »
    He said sporty. The TT is no sports car.
    How is a 2 seater convertible with 225bhp not sporty? You must have brain cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

..You must have brain cancer.

here, will you leave it out

Advertisement