Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something sporty

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

superjosh9 wrote: »
    i'm sorry about this - but i really question the technical awareness - and indeed the age of some of the posters on this when they actually recommend a lotus.

k-series engine is a p.o.s btw...

toyota engine is i'm sure great - but you're spending money.

And then what have you?! A lotus?! You would need to be an enthusiast to operate something like that everyday. Maybe you are though, I don't know!

Honda s2000 would be 10 times the car. Honda don't operate on a shoe-string for a start.

I'd steer well clear of the RX8 for the reasons people have said - and the impending lack of any resale value.

Anyway - best of luck! Don't buy a Lotus though..

Could you tell me how many times you have driven the Elise, and for how long each time? This comment could not have come from anyone who has any actual real world experience with the Elise. The Elise/Exige are the best true sports cars by a mile, without lotto money. Nothing else comes close. And considering your claim that "Honda s2000 would be 10 times the car. Honda don't operate on a shoe-string for a start" it looks like you know nothing at all about Lotus or about cars in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

How is a 2 seater convertible with 225bhp not sporty? You must have brain cancer.

I drive a standard 100 ish BHP sports car that is far sportier to drive than any TT. Thanks for your childish remarks about my grey matter. I hope that you or no one close to you ever gets sick. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Lotus Elise FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

groupb wrote: »
    I drive a standard 100 ish BHP sports car that is far sportier to drive than any TT. Thanks for your childish remarks about my grey matter. I hope that you or no one close to you ever gets sick. Good Luck.
    I'm not talking about go-carts here. Brain cancer was a bit strong but I'm guessing its just a mild retardation

ps. Mods its a fair comment so leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nemoid

How is a 2 seater convertible with 225bhp not sporty? You must have brain cancer.

I'm afraid i have to agree with groupb on this one...having owed a 225bhp TT for nearly a year i decided to off-load as for the very reason that it just wasn't sporty enough...the steering lacked feel and it just felt like a shrunken A4 with a bigger engine...and no i don't have brain cancer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

superjosh9 wrote: »
    i am not clueless

Yes superdude, you are clueless...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The TT wasn't sporty enough for him. He's not saying the TT isn't sporty.

IMO, the Lotus is a bit too hardcore for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Shigsy wrote: »
    Could you tell me how many times you have driven the Elise, and for how long each time? This comment could not have come from anyone who has any actual real world experience with the Elise. The Elise/Exige are the best true sports cars by a mile, without lotto money. Nothing else comes close. And considering your claim that "Honda s2000 would be 10 times the car. Honda don't operate on a shoe-string for a start" it looks like you know nothing at all about Lotus or about cars in general.

To be fair I can see where's he's coming from with his comments. In the real world as a compromise between daily runaround and true sporting pretensions the s2000 is a much superior car than the lotus elise. Its more comfortable with more creature comforts, has more space with a boot that can actually fit something in it, has a bullitproof engine and much better reliability overall and most importantly on public roads will be just as much fun to drive as the elise.

Lotus build fantastic cars and if i had a choice between an s2000 or elise of any shape at mondello there'd only be one winner but as an everday road car id have the s2000 anyday of the week. Its not stretching the imagination to say that for an everydauy joe soap who wants a fast fun and troublefree sports car the s2000 is a much much better option than an elise. Now if the elsie was a weekend car thats another matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Lotus build fantastic cars and if i had a choice between an s2000 or elise of any shape at mondello there'd only be one winner but as an everday road car id have the s2000 anyday of the week. Its not stretching the imagination to say that for an everydauy joe soap who wants a fast fun and troublefree sports car the s2000 is a much much better option than an elise. Now if the elsie was a weekend car thats another matter...

One thing that we haven't mentioned is that the Lotus will probably become a modern classic. So a '98 one would probably make a good investment as a weekend car for someone who didn't mind doing the maintenence. Couple that with a car that will not rot! Not for everyday use imo however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Plenty of people use them everyday :D

One guy has well over 23k miles since last september. Mostly on Irish roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

bp_me wrote: »
    Plenty of people use them everyday :D

One guy has well over 23k miles since last september. Mostly on Irish roads.

He must have an arse made of solid oak :D

@Ferris interesting point about the elise being a future classic, I cant see the s2000 following in quite the same mould despite its handling and performance. The car is starting to become affordable to the skanger brigade these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

+1

Shame as they are a great car. No car deserves a place in skangerdom.

Now wait for the PC Brigade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

The simple fact is anyone who says an Elise isn't an everyday car have obviously not driven one for a few days. It is an everyday car. I used it as an everyday car for 3 years. It never once broke down, has over 40,000 miles on it and manages to bring a huge smile to my face every single time i drive it! Plus the fact that i am a lady so any guy who is saying its 'too hardcore' for them as an everyday car is obviously pretty clueless as to what an Elise is about. If you want something sporty you don't want heated seats i should hope. I'm afraid the s2000 doesn't come close to comparing. The Elise is a mini supercar, no doubt in my mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

if it was my money, and i wasn't mechanically inclined, I'd buy a Honda S2000.

I'll let some of you guys get back to your car magazines. Lots of really useful, real-world stuff in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I'm not talking about go-carts here. Brain cancer was a bit strong but I'm guessing its just a mild retardation

ps. Mods its a fair comment so leave it.

What about an mx5?
    I suppose that would'nt be as sporty as a TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

groupb wrote: »
    What about an mx5?
    I suppose that would'nt be as sporty as a TT?

I'd actually like to know any opinions on the MX5 - aside from the image - how do they go? I've never driven or even sat into an MX5 in my life - though they are rwd - and that is something I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As others said, the K-series engine is an excellent small engine, but one with serious flaws. Probably one of the main reasons for the demise of Rover. Yes they can be sorted for reasonable money, but I wouldn't recommend one to joe soap. On the other hand, bargains can be had if you know what you're getting into...
    Funxy wrote: »
    The Elise is a mini supercar

I like that definition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cpoh1 wrote: »
    i may never have come across an elise with a k series but ive crossed paths with loads of rover 620ti's etc

The engine in the Rover 620ti is a T-series (older design), not a K-series (newer design)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Check out my car. 03 Toyota MR2. Great little car in the wet or the dry.
    There are others who have this car on here.

I have a linky in my sig.

Advertisement