Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seven year itch

Options
  • 04-07-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

So a lot of couples seem to break up after seven years and another one becoming pretty common is four years.

I had a relationship that lasted seven years and I'm really non the wiser

Does anyone know the cause of this? are men more effected by it than women?

I blamed it on we were so young when we first got together that we were two totally deferent people by the end of the 7 years

anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ntlbell wrote: »
    So a lot of couples seem to break up after seven years and another one becoming pretty common is four years.

I had a relationship that lasted seven years and I'm really non the wiser

Does anyone know the cause of this? are men more effected by it than women?

I blamed it on we were so young when we first got together that we were two totally deferent people by the end of the 7 years

anyone any ideas?
    I think its because you change. Like you say you become different people. I dont think it matters what age you begin at, you change all your life anyway. If as a couple you can't reset the rules and the way you are with each other, you may well end up splitting. In order not to you have to continually change and adapt and refresh what you have together.

I dont see it as a seven year thing anymore, Ive seen couples split after one year, or twenty. It all depends on whether they lose track of each other as life progresses, or not.

And I am currently married 6 years 3 months......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

they're just silly excuses to fall back on.
    Seriously... 7 year itch?
    Load of pants!
    If you think negatively, you'll focus on more of the bad and be convinced you're not for each other.

You're gonna get an 'itch' at anything in your life.
    That includes your job, where you live, hobbies etc...
    You may need to tweak a few things to 'scratch' that itch away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Load of pants!
    If you think negatively, you'll focus on more of the bad and be convinced you're not for each other.

of course it's a bit nonseney and not something I'm currently worried about, nor did I even know what a 7 year itch was when i broke up with her.

But it does seem to be a very common time frame where folk break up, i'm sure there's people that break up after 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 etc

but I mostly seem to hear 7 i can't think of any people i know who broke up after 5/6/8/9 years, but no loads at 7 there must be SOMETHING in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

hmmm let me see....

on average, my relationships seem to last about 4 months so i'm gonna say it's all nuts because i haven't even had the chance to get to 7 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

i went through a phase where all of my friends had relationships end after 13 months... it was like hitting the one year mark put the fear on them or something haha :) personally ive never made it past about 8 months so i cant comment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭peanut66

I broke up with my bf after 6 years just last november. At the time thought it would last for ever (as u do)
    We got together young enough, at 18 and the first 4.5 years were pretty good.

I do think a lot of it is to do with growing up and growing apart though. I moved jobs to a different county and it kinda opened my eyes to stuff i really wanted to do and was missing out on the way i was. Maybe some people dont work hard enough at their relationships and run at the first sign of trouble and then you have people that meet one person that they stay with for ever.

It depends on the people and the circumstances, the next person you meet you could be stuck with for life. :eek: :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I've had a 7 yearer and a 4 yearer, i'm doomed I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My wife left me after 7 years (and 3 months) of marriage. She must have been a saint to stay the extra 3 months. :D

I'd say it might have something to do with the physical attraction waning after this period. If there's no love to fall back on it's history...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The honeymoon period lasts anywhere between 6 months to 3 years. Then the relationship has to change gear into the longer term companionship(with passion) type thing, maybe aimed at a permanent thing(marriage/moving in together etc). That crossover is a tough one so a lot fail at that hurdle.

Then the ones that get through that may find a few years down the line that nothing has changed and the relationship has run it's course or is not adding anything to the sum of it's parts, then they fail at that hurdle. usually between 5 and 7 years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

It must be really hard breaking up with someone after 7 years. I don't know if I could do it. You're such a part of each others lives at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just read in a book that it's because in 7 years from today, every cell in your body will have regenerated at least once. Thus, after 7 years, nothing remains that was there when you first met/got married/whatever.

Sounds like bollox though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Load of pants!

Totally agree with you on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am with Mr Quality 13 years this year.... Only married for one though...

So where do I count from... the going out... or the married.

Can you have a 7 year itch every 7 years?? Come to think of it, he is starting to annoy me lately... It could be my hormones though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Faith wrote: »
    I just read in a book that it's because in 7 years from today, every cell in your body will have regenerated at least once. Thus, after 7 years, nothing remains that was there when you first met/got married/whatever.

Sounds like bollox though.

Yes, completely true Faith. For once I agree with you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Damzilla

scoot on wrote: »
    It must be really hard breaking up with someone after 7 years. I don't know if I could do it. You're such a part of each others lives at that stage.

Am going through it at the moment. Broke up after seven years and two months! It sucks believe me. Especially when there is a house involved and it's impossible not to have some level of contact.:(

Advertisement