Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Invincible

I'm in :PremierFliers.
    ..........................................Reina.........................................................Clichy................................Brown............................Skertel..................Bentley........Petrov................Bullard......................Deco.........................Jo...................................Bojnov.............................Torres
    Subs:Gordon,De Ridder,Bouma & Boyce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

KevIRL wrote: »
    The head to head has been added in this year. Its a league with 20 randomers and you play each randomer twice, home and away. They did it for hte Euro FF and was great. Nice little addition

Cool, I didn't realise. It was a nice feature in Euro 2008 alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Oh cool nice to see the head to head thing again. I'm in a league with only one other Irish guy and about 15 English guys. As long as I don't get relegated I won't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm in, Smug Drugglers
    Team was auto-entered from last year

anyway first pick is:
    Howard
    Kiely
    Vidic
    Brown
    Skrtel
    Wheater
    Melchiott
    Fabregas
    Young
    Bentley
    Pienaar
    Wallace
    Jones
    V.Persie
    Keane

Not sure about Ronaldo this year, might be out for an operationat the start if he doesn't go to Madrid....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Does it reveal like the Euro 2008 one where Boards is ranked in terms of the largest leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Does it reveal like the Euro 2008 one where Boards is ranked in terms of the largest leagues?

It did last year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

just entered dope heads into the league.
    best of luck lads & lassies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I registered - The Old Lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In the h to head league.I managed to get another Boards.ie member.Ac Dingatron,whoever he is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I entered a quick pick. But I was under the impression you could make unlimited changes before the start of the season. Can you? I don't see anywhere to change me team, am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

AFAIK it's unlimited til the start of the season. It has been every year up til now so can't imagine them changing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Yep-I spotted it. I think it's laid out differently than last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Carson is down as a Villa player. FAIL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jesus, Ronaldo at 14 is almost unbuyable.
    He could well be injuried at the start, and there's no realistic way his price can go up since to get him people would have to take massive penalties. Almost thinking of skipping him.

I'm thinking Liverpools defence this season will be a lot better with Agger in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PHB wrote: »
    Jesus, Ronaldo at 14 is almost unbuyable.
    He could well be injuried at the start, and there's no realistic way his price can go up since to get him people would have to take massive penalties. Almost thinking of skipping him.

I'm thinking Liverpools defence this season will be a lot better with Agger in it.

Madrid player all the way ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gunner Getcha

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Hart

Ferdinand Vidic Carragher Carvalho

Fabregas Young Bentley Lennon

Defoe Bellamy

Guys, would you know who kick the penalties for the following teams:

West Brom
    Stoke City
    Hull City
    Sunderland
    West Ham
    Wigan
    Middlesbrough

Also I am looking for some bargain players in the above team, especially West Brom, Stoke City and Hull City....1 defender and 1 midfielder that play for sure but cost possibly <4.5 - 5 M.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Invincible

TripleAce wrote: »

West Brom
    Stoke City
    Hull City
    Sunderland
    West Ham
    Wigan
    Middlesbrough

Also I am looking for some bargain players in the above team, especially West Brom, Stoke City and Hull City....1 defender and 1 midfielder that play for sure but cost possibly <4.5 - 5 M.

Thank you.

Ryan Taylor has taken pens for Wigan.
    Maybe Downing for Boro.
    Reid for Sunderland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

TripleAce wrote: »

West Brom
    Stoke City
    Hull City
    Sunderland
    West Ham
    Wigan
    Middlesbrough

Thank you.
    I think I'm going to have Liam Lawrence as a sub (Stoke). He got a rake of assists last year, a few goals as well. I seem to remember a good few people having Mark Noble last season for West Ham, he was a bit of a bargain (and took penalties iirc). Towards the end of last season I brought in David Wheater from Middlesbrough. As mediocre as they are, they are pretty sold defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It's late so this is a quick first pick and there may be some changes..........

1stdraft.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Provisional

Reina

Campbell
    Woodgate
    Scharner

Ballack
    Stevie G
    Fab
    Mendes

Torres
    Martins
    Benjani

Jassk
    Hamann
    McShane
    Meite

Happy enough for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well Ronaldo's out for the start of the season so should be interesting to see how people deal with that i.e. who get's opening day skipper etc. I would have expected big points from him at home to Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

James

Ferdinand Melchiot McShane

Fabregas Gerrard Lampard Ireland

Keane Agbonlahor Benjani

defence is pretty dodgy but happy enough with the rest of it

gonna change lampard though..

Hoping for a good start (checked first 3 gameweeks of the season, this is my team - The Old Lady) :) - need for Bolton to start well for once!

1: Jaaskelainen
    2: Gallas
    3: Bouma
    4: Lescott
    5: Fabregas
    6: Nolan
    7: Geovanni
    8: Muamba
    9: Yakubu
    10: Adebayor (C)
    11: Santa Cruz

12: Friedel
    13: Bullard
    14: Ricketts
    15: Warnock

Also kept 1.5M in the bank for some possible good opportunity in gameweek# 2.

Anybody know of any players marked down as defenders but who usually play in midfield? Theres always a few! good for the bonus clean sheet points! There was Matty Taylor 2 years ago, Geremi last year (although he only came good towards the end!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Think Phil Neville plays a good bit in midfield.

Go on, pick him, I dare ya!

jamesozzie wrote: »
    Anybody know of any players marked down as defenders but who usually play in midfield? Theres always a few! good for the bonus clean sheet points! There was Matty Taylor 2 years ago, Geremi last year (although he only came good towards the end!)

N'Zgobia of Newcastle last year was classified as a midfielder....may be a cheap buy when Newcastle has an easy calendar....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

didn't need to join up, already in the league. hmmm. anyways team is entered but subject to about 100 changes before kick-off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Can a mod sticky this please?

• Advertisement

Think Phil Neville plays a good bit in midfield.

Go on, pick him, I dare ya!

I like the take the odd gamble - but no, I'm not that daring!! As regards N'Zogbia I dont see him getting much playing time so I think he's a no!! Gareth Bale is a decent player I like, he's very attacking too

Was just looking at Theo Walcott there.
    He is quite cheap at 7.0m and with Hleb, Flamini and Adebayor probably all going he may get a good bit of gametime this year. He played a good few games towards the end of last season and when he played he was racking up a lot of points.

Now question is, does anyone else concur that he may be a great bargain?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Was just looking at Theo Walcott there.
    He is quite cheap at 7.0m and with Hleb, Flamini and Adebayor probably all going he may get a good bit of gametime this year. He played a good few games towards the end of last season and when he played he was racking up a lot of points.

Now question is, does anyone else concur that he may be a great bargain?

If Adebayor leaves, then yes...if not, I would rather spend 1M more and go for sure goalscores like Yakubu of Everton for example....

I think Ade is definately leaving, but he is more likely to play in place of Hleb behing the front two/wing. Mark my words. he will be the bargain of the season ;)

Would a mod be able to sticky this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Got my team in...

Reina
    --Baird-Laursen-Hughes
    Barry-Downing-Ballack-Young
    --Torres-Keane-Crouch

Subs: Schwarzer, Etuthu, McShane, A O Brien

I skimped on the defense, but I reckon Fulham are good for a few clean sheets under Hodgson.

Should be lots of goals and assists in the midfield, and the forward line are all prolific. Hopefully Crouch will bang them in at Pompey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Currently with about 92,500 people entered 44% of all people have Torres in their team.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I guess a lot of that can be put down to uncertainty over the futures of Adebayour, Drogba, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Keane, Shevchenko and Santa Cruz though.

It's a bit of a futile exercise choosing a team this early, but I couldnt resist! :)

I guess a lot of that can be put down to uncertainty over the futures of Adebayour, Drogba, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Keane, Shevchenko and Santa Cruz though.

It's a bit of a futile exercise choosing a team this early, but I couldnt resist! :)

Shevchenko? :p

The biggest waste of talent ever seen....poor him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

A quick pick for me at the moment

Almunia

Lescott
    Laursen
    Dunne

Modric
    Barry
    Pienaar
    Fabregas

Harewood
    Torres (C)
    Crouch

Subs:
    Schwarzer
    Meite
    Collins
    Lawrence

I wanted to fit Santa Cruz in there too (and Ronaldo obviously) but he's too expensive to put in with Torres, Crouch, Fab, Barry, Lescott and Laursen who I really want as the spine of the team.
    Need to find some hidden gems in the new teams methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

**************Cech

Campbell___Dunne___Skrtel___Evra

Fabregas__Dec0___Bentley

Keane__Alves___Jo___

Subs: Wheater, Piennar, De-Ridder and Schwarzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is Agger likely to be first choice from the start?

Is Bale likely to play regularly with Spurs' million other defenders?

Joe Cole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Bacchus wrote: »
    Need to find some hidden gems in the new teams methinks.

ye, some studying of the teams coming up may help give you that edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Here's Dynamo Dearg:

Reina

Lescott
    Gary Cahill
    Dunne

Gerrard
    Ashley Young
    Bullard
    Fabregas
    Matty Taylor

Berbatov
    Crouch

Subs:
    Middlesboro keeper
    The binman Windass
    Baird
    Clement

A good site to help you pick a team is : http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Here's Dynamo Dearg:

A good site to help you pick a team is : http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/

Nice one, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

im in like flynn done really well last year , came 3rd in my respective league so heres to next season girls n boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Is Agger likely to be first choice from the start?

Is Bale likely to play regularly with Spurs' million other defenders?

Joe Cole?
    theres not a chance in a miiiiiiiiilion years im picking a player from the pool for my fantasy team , torres scores 2 goals and has to wait 2 games to get back on the picth, nice one rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

KERRY:

1: Reina

2: Lescott
    3: Ferdinand
    4: Brown
    5: Distin
    6: Laursen

7: Fabregas (C)
    8: Young
    9: Barry
    10: Bentley

11: Defoe

12: Kiely
    Goalkeeper (purely sentimental reasons here)
    13: Lawrence
    Midfielder (Takes Penos and free kicks)
    14: Windass
    Forward (Takes Penos and free kicks)
    15: Folan
    Forward (Broke club trasnfer record)

I went the route of defenders. I'm expecting Barry to be a liverpool player by the start of the season. Ronny is out till October so his valuation will drop like a stone and you can pick him up then for half nothing (if he stays) Expect serious wildcard action when he comes back.

Would have loved to have eiter Torres or Gerard but the cost was prohibative at 12. and 11.5 respectively so took a punt on Deofe who was on fire towards the end of last season. Young is out of position in the FFL he is a stiker for villa so putting him in midfield is guaranting a lot of 5 point goals ( he takes direct free kicks and expect him to take up penalties with Barry going and he's traditionally high on assists. I reckon this mistake is going to be key this season and everyone will have him by Christmas so good to stock up early.

I wish Porstm weren't playing chelsea on the opening day of the season but I expect this team to be consistently solid for points and expect the subs to increase in value to trade up players around christmas- Bently for Gerrard etc.

I was looking at Nasri for Arsenal as they have an easy opening run but I reckon I'll hold back to see if Wenger plays him and how he gets on, he's .5 cheaper than Bentley but no track record so hard to know.

Similarily Jose Bosingwa for Chelsea looks like he's going to come in and be a first team regular and was named in the Euro team of the tournament but Man Utd have a more flattering opening day game against newcastle and as such he's interchangable with Wes Brown.

Finished 8th last year in Boards- hopiing to go better this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Squad at the moment:

Howard/Schmeichel

Scharner/Brown/Dunne/Campbell/Terry

Essien/Bullard/Fabregas/Modric/De Ridder

Crouch/Berbatov/Walcott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My team is getting closer to being complete :p

James
    Brown---Campbell----Dunne---Johnson

Bentley---Barry---Downing

Ashton
    Berbatov

Torres

Kirkland, McShane, Ireland, Mascherano

• Advertisement
Advertisement