Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I know Terry is expensive but is he not good for the odd goals and clean sheet?

He had a season a few years back where he netted a couple, but since then, he has dried up. Bosingwa is Chelsea's fullback, so you will still get the same clean sheet value of Terry, plus a better chance of assists, probably the same chance of goals being scored, and all for £1.2 million less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Advice needed - should I start Scholes or Robbie Keane this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Keane hasn't exactly set the world alight but Scholes has done just as little and is likely to get booked or sent off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Advice needed - should I start Scholes or Robbie Keane this weekend?

Neither are worth keeping. Theres plenty of other players cheaper than those 2 who will score same or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

And the greasy one scores.

That re-opens the debate on Lampard and SWP or greasy one and zaki.

Looking like greasy one and zaki.

Revised team and that's it. I'm NOT messing with it any more- this wildcard is like a spot you have to pick.

1: Reina

2: Bosingwa
    3: Carragher
    4: Ferdinand
    5: Laursen
    6: Clichy

7: Ronaldo(C)
    8: Denilson
    9: Wright-Phillips

10: Defoe
    11: Zaki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I want to get rid of Ball (5m) ReoCoker (5m) and Hamman (4.4m)
    I was thinking of Paintsill / Ireland to get rid of the first two.
    That would leave me with .4m, to find a 4.8m midfielder to replace Hamman.
    Any suggestions? Have to pay the 4point to free up the cash for Ireland.

Also, why does my team value add up to 100.5m with .3m in reserve?
    If you add up the individual transfer values its only 95.6m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Loco wrote: »
    Delap?

Neither are worth keeping. Theres plenty of other players cheaper than those 2 who will score same or more.

I know. Problem is I had to use my transfer on Deco. And next week's will have to be Carvalho....my fantasy team is like a voodoo doll.

Masherano's only 5.5 - with a bit of rejigging maybe you could get him in. Won't score but might get a lot of not conceding and bonus MOM points for soemone that cheap.

Player values change as they get more or less valuable depending on points scored I think.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Delap?

Current team is:

Cech Schwarzer
    Ball Evra Clichy Boswinga Figeuroa
    Ronaldo Fabregas Delap Reo-Coker Hamman
    Zaki Adebayor Davies

• Advertisement

Masherano's only 5.5 - with a bit of rejigging maybe you could get him in. Won't score but might get a lot of not conceding and bonus MOM points for soemone that cheap.

Player values change as they get more or less valuable depending on points scored I think.

I hate him almost as much as I hate Chelsea's Coles!
    Good tip though, he has been playing quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Marney is a good shot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Used my wildcard, and made 8 changes, incluing my 3 subs. I can still change things around, so any comments/criticizm is very welcome!

I'm thinking Harte is a decent choice as city are looking decent at the moment. Thinking about selling Adebayor and Di Michele and buying 2 8.5-ish strikers

OUT IN
    Berbatov (9.3) Di Michele (6.0)
    Barry (8.5) Denilson (6.4)
    Hamann (4.4) Wright-Phillips (8.0)
    Barmby (4.4) Ronaldo (14.0)
    Fabregas (9.9) Delap (4.7)
    Lescott (6.9) Pele (3.9)
    Young L (4.5) Figueroa (4.2)
    Meite (4.0) Arbeloa (6.0)
    Cech (6.1) Hart (5.0)

So team at the moment is

GK
    (1) Hart

DF
    (2) Clichy
    (3) Bosingwa
    (4) Arebeloa

MF
    (5) Ronaldo
    (6) Arteta
    (7) Wright-Phillips
    (8) Denilson

FW
    (9) Adebayor
    (10) Di Michele
    (11) Zaki

Subs
    (12) Schwarzer
    (13) Delap
    (14) Figueroa
    (15) Pele ;)

FutureGuy wrote: »
    (15) Pele ;)

I would keep Adebayor but ditch this Pele guy!

GK
    (1) Hart

DF
    (2) Clichy
    (3) Bosingwa
    (4) Arebeloa

MF
    (5) Ronaldo
    (6) Arteta
    (7) Wright-Phillips
    (8) Denilson

FW
    (9) Adebayor
    (10) Di Michele
    (11) Zaki

Subs
    (12) Schwarzer
    (13) Delap
    (14) Figueroa
    (15) Pele ;)

Or alternatively, without Ronaldo...

GK
    (1) Reina/Cech

DF
    (2) Clichy
    (3) Bosingwa
    (4) Arebeloa

MF
    (5) Lampard
    (6) Arteta
    (7) Wright-Phillips
    (8) Denilson

FW
    (9) Adebayor
    (10) Carew
    (11) Zaki

Subs
    (12) Schwarzer
    (13) Delap
    (14) Figueroa
    (15) Pele

Aye but Ronaldo is only price protected from injury until tomorrow and then his price is going to rocket and given the choice between onaldo and Lamps and Carew Ronaldo as captain is much more consistent.

Here's the back up on prices

http://www.silvermetalprices.net/crackthecode/

Cech

Laursen Kompany Clichy

Ronaldo Arteta A young Denilson W Phillips

zaki Defoe

or
    Cech

Laursen Kompany Clichy

Ronaldo Wright Phillips Arteta Denilson

Adebayor Davies Zaki

Which do you think will be the better team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The first one imo

:(I have spent more time thinking about my fantasy team than I have on my final year project

:(I have spent more time thinking about my fantasy team than I have on my final year project

Get an A1 in your FYP and you will gain the admiration of your lecturer. Win the fantasy League and you will gain the admiration of all your fellow boardies.

Time well spent IMO.

• Advertisement

Get an A1 in your FYP and you will gain the admiration of your lecturer. Win the fantasy League and you will gain the admirationJealous distain :D of all your fellow boardies.

Fixed that for you

SetantaL wrote: »

NTI = net transfers in?

what is Target NTI? price rises when it meets this?
    why is Ireland's target nti so high? (if my assumption on the abbreviation is correct)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

NTI = net transfers in....yes

why is Ireland's target nti so high? (if my assumption on the abbreviation is correct)

Ireland has already increased in value this gameweek so needs to reach a higher target for a 2nd increase.
    The algorithm on that site is quite good, not exactly the same as mine, but since no one really knows what the actual one is, its not bad. I never knew about the protection after returning for example, but I still managed to make 17m profit last year and am well on my way again this year with 103m already in the bank.

Ireland has already increased in value this gameweek so needs to reach a higher target for a 2nd increase.
    The algorithm on that site is quite good, not exactly the same as mine, but since no one really knows what the actual one is, its not bad. I never knew about the protection after returning for example, but I still managed to make 17m profit last year and am well on my way again this year with 103m already in the bank.

haha, nice.
    that could afford you to rearrange with all the dream team by xmas!
    how did you do points wise? top 10 finish?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

haha, nice.
    that could afford you to rearrange with all the dream team by xmas!
    how did you do points wise? top 10 finish?!

Surprisingly not, bout 2200 points (sacrificed a lot of points tranferring players in/out to make the profit in the first place) but I won all my private leagues (which is where the moneys at)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

And believe me when I say that will prepare you for the modern workplace better.
    Surprisingly not, bout 2200 points (sacrificed a lot of points tranferring players in/out to make the profit in the first place) but I won all my private leagues (which is where the moneys at)

It's interesting that max profits doesn't necessarily translate into max points; the game builds in punishment against merely trading in popular players. I've often found myself trailing less valuable teams throughout the year. Obviously there's some value in protecting your money; for example, this week I sold Deco for Denilson (who I wanted anyway) and have protected €0.2m, but I wonder where the sweet spot lies.

I think it's somewhere between €104m and €110m but that's guesswork. Can we see last year's winners anywhere?

Also, I wonder how many private leagues out there are competing for most valuable team by year end?

Arteta has a virus and may not make it this weekend.

Sweet- I'd already transfered him out for SWP.

The Gods are smiling on me.

Am getting raped by bloody injuries!!

Have Arteta, Carvalho and Ashton setting on the bloody bench for this weekend - yes all my subs are injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

lads, why do ye reckon ronaldo is going to skyrocket in price? Surely he can't go much higher than 14mill????
    Whats the reasoning behind the belief of a jump..... the sudden surge in transfers in?
    I'm thinking of using my wildcard and bringing him in, but was going to wait a week or two and see how he's playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Arteta isn't definitely out afaik, SSN said Everton are hopeful he'll recover.
    jimbling wrote: »
    lads, why do ye reckon ronaldo is going to skyrocket in price? Surely he can't go much higher than 14mill????
    Whats the reasoning behind the belief of a jump..... the sudden surge in transfers in?

Yep, prices fluctuate according to transfer activity. With thousands bringing him in, it could go up.

Arteta isn't definitely out afaik, SSN said Everton are hopeful he'll recover.

Wouldn't sub him out anyway as he is worth every little penny :)

Took an 8 point hit and am left with for this weeks matches:

Reina
    Sagna
    Carra
    Laursen
    A.Cole
    A.Young
    SWP
    Denilson(c)

Zaki
    Carew
    Yakubu

Subs: Gordan, Arteta, Marney, Carvalho.

Everton v Liverpool is a black points wise in my opinion.. Gonna be 1-1 with Yobo and Benayoun getting the goals or something pissy like that. Having Arteta on the pitch will be a waste I think but am not final on that.

I think Villa will tear lumps out of the Sunderland defence and could possibly keep a clean sheet. Think Carew might be a good option for captain too.

Stoke are going to get the shock of their life against Chelsea. Not a hope they will follow up the good result against Liverpool. Good chance of a clean sheet for Chelsea I think.

Hull have been doing ok and could cause Arsenal some probs but I wouldn't be surprising to see Arsenal thump them. Not sure if Arsenal will keep a clean sheet though. Denilson as captain is making sense at the mo.

Wigan against Man City will be interesting. There is defo a possibility of a few goals for both sides. SWP could be worth a punt for captain :|

All very stressful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Any word on whether Clichy is fit for this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Any word on whether Clichy is fit for this weekend?

Word is that he is fit but whether he plays or not is another matter.

I am torn for my team at the weekend. Should I keep Arteta in with Everton playing Liverpool or switch him for Berbatov and play 4-3-3.

Current Team:
    Cech
    --Bosingwa
    Ferdinand
    Laursen
    Wheater

Eboue
    Ireland
    Wright Philips

Berbatov
    Adebayor(c)
    Santa Cruz

Subs - Schwarzer, Arteta, Brown, Miete

Hope this team does well, although I might have to do some surgery if I am to bring in the greasy one at some point.

As well as Yakubu has done this season, Ive shipped him out for Defoe this weekend. Surely Defoe will score against his old team, thats how football works, right! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'm making Downing captain because I'm starting to hate him now so hopefully he'll turn good.

• Advertisement

I'm making Downing captain because I'm starting to hate him now so hopefully he'll turn good.
    The strangest logic Ive come across on this thread, but whatever works for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Whats the prob with Arteta????

I've

Reina

Vidic
    Kompany
    Boswinga

J Cole
    Barry
    Arteta
    Ireland

--Aghbonlahor
    Adebayor(c)
    Zaki

Think Villa will do well Vs Sunderland and Adebayor could score a few versus Hull. Boswinga and Vidic should both get clean sheets and Joe Cole is always good for an assist or else a goal. Same can be said for Arteta and Ireland. Reina could give me a clean sheet too in the merseyside derby!! That would cancel out Arteta's impact obviously!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

All very stressful :)

Who'd want to be a football manager?
    slingerz wrote: »
    Reina could give me a clean sheet too in the merseyside derby!! That would cancel out Arteta's impact obviously!!

Naw, what you want is for Arteta to score a hattrick in the last 30 minutes once Reina has been taken off (seriously, guys, he is overdue!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I played my wildcard this week cos between a couple of injuries and some underperformers I was starting to sink a bit in my leagues. It's now:
    Reina
    Ferdinand - Carragher - Evra - Gallas
    Wright Phillips - Ireland - Joe Cole - Denilson - Scholes
    Adebayor (C)

Happy enough with it except it'll be hard to find the money for Ronaldo if he starts bringing in the points. Not sure about Adeboyar as Captain, might change that before Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Cech
    Corluka - Carragher - Clichy - Figueroa
    Young A - Wright-Phillips - Fletcher - Denilson
    Defoe - Adebayor

12: Kuszczak 13: Melchiot 14: Morrison 15: Yakubu

As you can probably see I'm not that brilliant on the old footie, if anyone has any advice it'd be greatly appreciated, I just want a lil more confidence before actually joinin' a league...
    I know I'm pretty late to the game too, but it's just a birra fun for me!

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but can anyone see Adebayor being rested for the Hull game? Plenty of talent on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but can anyone see Adebayor being rested for the Hull game? Plenty of talent on the bench.

I'd say he might. Van Persie last week, Ade this week

doonothing wrote: »
    Cech
    Corluka - Carragher - Clichy - Figueroa
    Young A - Wright-Phillips - Fletcher - Denilson
    Defoe - Adebayor

12: Kuszczak 13: Melchiot 14: Morrison 15: Yakubu

As you can probably see I'm not that brilliant on the old footie, if anyone has any advice it'd be greatly appreciated, I just want a lil more confidence before actually joinin' a league...
    I know I'm pretty late to the game too, but it's just a birra fun for me!

Thats a solid team, but I think we will be seeing less of Fletcher as we go forward. He has being playing well but most of Uniteds midfielders are back. I don't rate Corluka either tbh. Someone like Dunne from Man City would prob get you more points, given Spurs poor run of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

played the wild card like a lot of people on here, mainly to include the greasy one (please please have a similar season to the last :))

very happy with it considering the cost of Ronnie

Cech

Boswinga Laursen Clichy

Ronnie Arteta Fabergas Delap Ireland

Zaki Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Adebayor or RvP as Cpt is a no-brainer. Both have had 2 and 1 games rest respectively and will be raring to go against Hull.

Adebayor and Ireland or AYoung and dEFOE?

Young and Defoe for me. Not sure why though..

I'd go Ade and Ireland.

Arsenal are playing Hull and banging them in (all 4-0 and 3-0 wins) Ireland is on the up and up for price.

I see that Man U have champions league midweek so too dodgy to rely on Ronaldo as captain as he might be hauled off at halftime or not start at all.

SWP Captain for me this week.

But is Ireland guaranteed his game in the man city team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Id say so. His potential rival this weekend for a spot is Gelson I think.

But with Ireland in red-hot form, I reckon he'll get the nod.

• Advertisement
Advertisement