Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Defoe and Zaki both do the business. C'mon Zaki, get me another. :D A good goal for all you people with Kompany as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I was worried Zaki might not be able to keep his form up but he was amazing today, should definitely get the 3 bonus points as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I only ended up with 38 points this week. My lowest score so far. Arsenal's performance badly hurt me.

Might be time to play my wildcard and get rid of all the rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Got rid of Modric. Sick of waiting on him.

Modric and Bullard out. Arteta and Etherington in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

A nice solid 67 for me this week. Could have been a more bountiful week had I gone with my instincts and cpt'nd Torres instead of Cesc. Ah well, good nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In the middle of a series of moves now to have a decent team, with Ronaldo in it. Had serious trouble figuring out how to get ronaldo in without sacrificing overall quality though, but from next week (assuming Nasri doesn't play again) i should be ok. Cost myself 4 points just now dropping gerrard and fabregas and bringing in Etherington. But i still have enough money to change kompany for arbeloa and nasri for etherington (if he drops 1 more value point, which hopefully he will if he doesn't play)

now have;

Reina
    Bosingwa
    Evra
    L.Young
    kompany
    Meite

Ronaldo
    Denilsen
    A.Young
    Mascherano
    Etherington

Carew
    Yakubu
    Folan

Arbeloa and Nasri in would leave me very happy.

62points this week thankfully, so hopefully i can start moving up from the disgustingly bad 518th place on boards.ie league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I salvaged 60 points today with Kompany and Zaki both scoring hopefully it will be enough to keep me in the top 10.

My main problem now is trying to raise the funds to get Ronaldo in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Another win in the head to head thanks to defoe and kompany. was a little worried as we were level but he had johnson who managed to get the 3 bonus points aswell as the clean sheet compared to defoe scoring so i needed something badly out of Kompany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

75 points so far, would expect Zaki to grab a few boni for himself too. Ronaldo's return has solved my poor captaincy problem this year, happy enough with my post wild card team now.

I've just played my wildcard. Here is my team now...

Cech

Laursen
    Bosingwa
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Valencia
    A. Young
    Ireland

Defoe
    Agbonlahor
    Zaki

Subs: Schwarzer, Figueroa, Olsson, Delap.

I didn't want to use it at this point but Ronaldo's return has changed the whole complexion of the game and I'm sure his price will rise significantly really soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

60 in the end, which I'm happy with. Welcome back Ronaldo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

My best week of the season with 72 points. Finally my forwards perform, with Zaki, Carew and Defoe all scoring plus captain Ronaldo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo as captain makes my week. I'm happy I used my wildcard. Let the start of the season begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Bosingwa, Kompany and Armand Traore at the back :d

What did Kmpany get a yellow for? Only saw the highlights on MotD. Im guessing it was for descent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus, does everyone have Ronaldo as captain, yes? :D

everyone except me :rolleyes:

I did pretty good this week, 64 points -- my best week I think...

Boswinga, Zaki, James, Defoe, and Young did me good.

The highest score is 104 points, the c*nt had Bosingwa, Ronaldo, and Torres (C)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Right, wildcard played -

Schwarzer

Clichy
    Laursen
    Bosingwa
    Melchiot

Ronaldo
    Arteta
    A. Young
    Valencia

Torres
    C. Cole

Subs: Myhill, Olsson, G. McCann I. Miller.

Managed to get Ronny and Torres in the same time while also keeping Arteta and Young so very happy.

Goalkeeper wise, I've gone for Schwarzer based on this week's fixtures but left enough cash to alternate between him, Gordon, Kirkland and Myhill based on who they're playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

867 in the world.

3rd in Boards.

6-0 in Head to Head.

I had SWP as captain. If I had Ronnie I'd be up in the 90+ points and top 100 players in the world.

Defoe, Zaki, Bosingwa, Ronaldo, Plus clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am going to say it now, Ronaldo will not be going into my team. Up to this point, the game has been alot of fun and quite the challenge.. Choosing Ronaldo and making him captain will significantly reduce both.. See how well I do at the end of the season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Finished on 61 which was dissapionting as if Arsenal had done the business, I'd be far higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

67, decent but a little disappointed with Clichy/Fabregas/Adebayor. Really thought they would destroy Hull. Keeper made 2 really good saves against Fab though, so i think the goals will come for him eventually!

Also disliked the fact i doubted Ronaldo as captain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Lads thinkin of playin wild card, what do ye think of this team

Reina

Bosingwa Dunne Carragher Woodgate

Ronaldo (C) Malbranque Wright Philips Valencia

Cole Owen

Subs - Zamora, Noble, L Young

Any help, greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Ah! I subbed out James for Schwarzer as pompey have been having a 'mare in defence the past few games....

They then keep a clean sheet and James gets 7 points :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Any help, greatly appreciated!

surely you can find better options than woodgate / malbranque / owen!

Reina

Bosingwa Dunne Carragher Woodgate

Ronaldo (C) Malbranque Wright Philips Valencia

Cole Owen

Subs - Zamora, Noble, L Young

That's a lot of money on the bench. Subs are rarely used- go as cheap as chips. I'd recomment Reo- Croker for Villa and then look at stoke or Hull for bargains.

I'd get rid of Dunne/ Malbranque/ANYONE from Tottenham period. Owen is made of Glass- what about Zaki- he's the top scorer and an all round bargain.

Have a look at Laursen for Villa, (still a bargain) Defoe, maybe Kompany as he's cheap and scored the weekend which will see his price rise in the short term.

Also Denilson for Arsenal is a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

All right lads. I caved and used my wildcard. I really didn't want to use it this early, but such is life... need to get ronaldo on the pitch.

Here's the team I put together now.

Reina

Bosingwa
    Skrtel
    Figueroa
    Ronaldo
    Ireland
    Valencia
    Lampard
    Carew
    Defoe
    Zaki

Subs:
    Turnbull
    L Young
    Olsson
    Marney

Any suggestions welcomed :o

Most likely Young will come in for Figueroa most weeks. Or some other switch like that.

Still not really happy, especially that my team is only worth 99.4 now... so down .6mil already. I was up 2 at this stage last year.

I will most likely switch Lamps for Deco when he comes back and give me some freedom for changes down the line.

I've obviously got till the end of the week, so might completely change before then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Just used my wildcard looking for advice....

Gk) Kirkland

Df) Bosingwa
    Df) Evra
    Df) Skrtel
    Df) Garrido

Md) Valencia
    Md) A. Young
    Md) Arteta
    Md) Ronaldo

Fd) Zaki
    Fd) Torres

Subs
    Gk) Schwarzer
    Df) N. Hunt
    Md) G. Little
    Fd) Bedtner

Any views on my team? Anything you think i should change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

SetantaL wrote: »
    That's a lot of money on the bench. Subs are rarely used- go as cheap as chips. I'd recomment Reo- Croker for Villa and then look at stoke or Hull for bargains.

I'd get rid of Dunne/ Malbranque/ANYONE from Tottenham period. Owen is made of Glass- what about Zaki- he's the top scorer and an all round bargain.

Have a look at Laursen for Villa, (still a bargain) Defoe, maybe Kompany as he's cheap and scored the weekend which will see his price rise in the short term.

Also Denilson for Arsenal is a bargain.

I've always gone with the 3 cheap subs but this season I've ended up with a much stronger bench with the option of rotating depending on who's got the best fixtures.

Next weekend I might have A Young, Brown and Skrtel on the bench. :eek:

I've always gone with the 3 cheap subs but this season I've ended up with a much stronger bench with the option of rotating depending on who's got the best fixtures.

Next weekend I might have A Young, Brown and Skrtel on the bench.

That rotation malarky is a silly lottery. Mark my words you'll have someone on the bench some week when he bags a huge score and you'll be praying for a sniper to take out one of your regular team before the game on Sunday. Better off getting the best you can for decent value.
    All right lads. I caved and used my wildcard. I really didn't want to use it this early, but such is life... need to get ronaldo on the pitch.

Here's the team I put together now.

Reina

Bosingwa
    Skrtel
    Figueroa
    Ronaldo
    Ireland
    Valencia
    Lampard
    Carew
    Defoe
    Zaki

Subs:
    Turnbull
    L Young
    Olsson
    Marney

Any suggestions welcomed

Most likely Young will come in for Figueroa most weeks. Or some other switch like that.

Still not really happy, especially that my team is only worth 99.4 now... so down .6mil already. I was up 2 at this stage last year.

I will most likely switch Lamps for Deco when he comes back and give me some freedom for changes down the line.

I've obviously got till the end of the week, so might completely change before then

I really like that team. Like the Lampard/ Ronaldo pairing. I'd keep Lamps as he gets a crazy amount of bonus points. Even last weekend, Bosingwa gets a goal an assist (not given for some reason) and still only picks up one behind Lampard and Ballack.

Defence is a bit of al lottery but strong up front. Like it ;)

Gk) Kirkland

Df) Bosingwa
    Df) Evra
    Df) Skrtel
    Df) Garrido

Md) Valencia
    Md) A. Young
    Md) Arteta
    Md) Ronaldo

Fd) Zaki
    Fd) Torres

Subs
    Gk) Schwarzer
    Df) N. Hunt
    Md) G. Little
    Fd) Bedtner

I'd swap Arteta for SWP, Young is brilliant. Torres and Zaki is class aswell and Torres will probably explode come November as per ususal. Defence is dodgy, especially with Kirkland but he is cheap and Wigan are on a bit of a run. Can't see an other obvious changes.

That rotation malarky is a silly lottery. Mark my words you'll have someone on the bench some week when he bags a huge score and you'll be praying for a sniper to take out one of your regular team before the game on Sunday. Better off getting the best you can for decent value.
    I know that side of it can be frustrating but if it leads to better scoring over the course of the season then there's no harm in using that strategy.

The option of playing Carlton Cole (at home to Bolton) ahead of A Young (away to Chelsea) at the weekend.

Same with Johnson (at home to Stoke) ahead of Skrtel (away to Man City).

It's a little bit more than a lottery but as you said it's possibly better to have the majority of your cash in your starting XI.

While my expensive subs are increasing in value I don't mind going with this strategy in the short run.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree with that. I think a somewhat strong bench is important when you consider the chances of big players being rested for CL games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Fanfan wrote: »

Gk) Kirkland

Df) Bosingwa
    Df) Evra
    Df) Skrtel
    Df) Garrido

Md) Valencia
    Md) A. Young
    Md) Arteta
    Md) Ronaldo

Fd) Zaki
    Fd) Torres

Subs
    Gk) Schwarzer
    Df) N. Hunt
    Md) G. Little
    Fd) Bedtner

I'd swap Skrtel for Arbeloa - given that the four Liverpool central defenders of Carra, Skrtel, Agger and Hyypia are all fit - plus the fact that Agger scored in the Carling Cup as opposed to the situation at right-back where Arbeloa has been ever-present and Degen (the second choice RB) is out with broken ribs means the competition for a RB slot at Liverpool is less intense than at CB at the moment. Rafa's rotation also needs to be taken into account. You get the same Liverpool defence with a player much likelier to play and also one more likely to get assists for only 0.1 more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In the spirit of Wildcard Madness Week and the fact that I'm getting destroyed, I've jumped on the bandwagon.

Schwarzer

Arbeloa
    Wheater
    Young L---
    ----Gerrard----Delap----Duff----Ronaldo

Torres
    Defoe
    Carew

Subs: Zuberbuhler, Huth, Whelan, Baird

Gone for a strategy of strong up front and worked from there

Duff is a bit of a risk at 5.8 but I'm hoping he'll perform under Kinnear - He had a good game at the week and Newcastle have a reasonaly handy run of games coming up.

Also the bench isnt exactly the most impressive - the hope is that I shoulnd need it in the immediate game weeks and I should be able to upgrade slightly when I do. Fingers crossed for no injuries to my starters.

I also have the problem of who to pick as captain - I'm favouring Torres at the moment after his performance at the weekend although Man U have a couple of easier games coming up (As against that there is the risk of being rested with CL games)

All and any thoughts welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We're all heading for carbon copies of each others teams.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I know that side of it can be frustrating but if it leads to better scoring over the course of the season then there's no harm in using that strategy.

The option of playing Carlton Cole (at home to Bolton) ahead of A Young (away to Chelsea) at the weekend.

Same with Johnson (at home to Stoke) ahead of Skrtel (away to Man City).

It's a little bit more than a lottery but as you said it's possibly better to have the majority of your cash in your starting XI.

While my expensive subs are increasing in value I don't mind going with this strategy in the short run.

I completely agree with this strategy to be honest. Especially early on in the season.

At the moment, I have Ashley Young and Carvalho on the bench (injured now).

Towards the middle of the season, I will be bringing the likes of Torres and so on into the team.

I'd agree with the squad rotation policy too, this is my first time to play this and I'm 6th on boards, 6 fom 6 in the head to head and top of my own league too so it seems to be working.

Anyway my current team is:

Gordon

-Bosingwa
    Vidic
    Kompany
    Corluka

Fellaini----Gera (c)
    Arteta
    Fabregas
    Young

Zaki

Ward, Laursen, Agbonlahor, Jo

I don't expect a great week due to fixtures but I'll be happy as long as I get at least 50 points. Big gamble making Gera captain but I have a feeling he might do something against his old club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Im thinking of using my wildcard this week too.
    What are peoples opinions on my before and after?
    Before
    FFbefore.png
    After
    FFafter-1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

BFassassin wrote: »
    Im thinking of using my wildcard this week too.
    What are peoples opinions on my before and after?

That's a much improved team alright. One thing I would say is that Scharner doesn't appear to be getting his game at the moment so why not sub him out for a someone who is or for a cheaper defender and spend the money elsewhere, mabye Reo-Coker in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd try to raise a small bit more cash to replace Harewood. He'll be a pretty useless member of your bench, since he rarely plays himself. I'd go for a cheap option like Zamora, at least he plays regularly. He's 5.4 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Good point about Scharner actually. I have now replaced him with glen johnson.
    Im pretty happy with that team now. Hopefully they will all do well for me :)

edit: advice taken and here is my team now. No money left either :)

Boswinga in for Clichy?

• Advertisement

Gk) Kirkland

Df) Bosingwa
    Df) Evra
    Df) Skrtel
    Df) Garrido

Md) Valencia
    Md) A. Young
    Md) Arteta
    Md) Ronaldo

Fd) Zaki
    Fd) Torres

Subs
    Gk) Schwarzer
    Df) N. Hunt
    Md) G. Little
    Fd) Bedtner

Dear God, get rid of Garrido! Biggest liability going. Gave away a peno at the weekend and is just generally shite. I expect him to be dropped again for Ball very, very soon.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Dear God, get rid of Garrido! Biggest liability going. Gave away a peno at the weekend and is just generally shite. I expect him to be dropped again for Ball very, very soon.

Everytime I hear or see his name I think back to the Chelsea match at the end of last season.. Lazy bastard!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

I understand with yous are saying about Garrido its just hes only €4.3 which is very good for a starting Man City player....question is will he continue to start.

Anyway big decision for me now lads its either....

Lampard
    Zamora
    Marney

Or

Arteta
    A. Young
    H. Camera

Arteta
    A. Young
    H. Camera

Hmmm this is the better of the two for me..

I understand with yous are saying about Garrido its just hes only €4.3 which is very good for a starting Man City player....question is will he continue to start.

No

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Am really caught between the two...Zaki is my third striker (all three starting each week)

Adebayor and Di Michelle

OR

Carew and Defoe (with some money freed up for next week to replace Hart with better keeper)

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Am really caught between the two...Zaki is my third striker (all three starting each week)

Adebayor and Di Michelle

OR

Carew and Defoe (with some money freed up for next week to replace Hart with better keeper)

Carew and Defoe.I would go for.I think Adebayor is blowing too hot and cold.

Carew and Defoe.I would go for.I think Adebayor is blowing too hot and cold.
    Adebayor has always been like that though. He's great to have if you manage to captain him the days he's on form.

There's better value strikers out there at the moment imo.

I'd recommend Jo as he's nearly a cert to start, and will be city's scorer in chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

would you buy in jo this week with the pool arriving in city?

ive got Agbonlahor in my team with want him out as villa playing chelsea, who would you buy, also have defoe and berbatov up front.

I was thinkin yakubu?

• Advertisement
Advertisement