Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Delighted to see Denilson play the full 90 mins last night- Good sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

would you buy in jo this week with the pool arriving in city?

ive got Agbonlahor in my team with want him out as villa playing chelsea, who would you buy, also have defoe and berbatov up front.

I was thinkin yakubu?

Adebayour??? Yak is also a good buy. I'm pretty happy with 2 of my CF's; Yak and Owen. Bent has been rubbish for me and is on the way out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

would you buy in jo this week with the pool arriving in city?

ive got Agbonlahor in my team with want him out as villa playing chelsea, who would you buy, also have defoe and berbatov up front.

I was thinkin yakubu?

Buy Zaki and use the extra funds to upgrade one of your defenders/midfileders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Michael Owen has scored in every match he has played in this season, bar the trip to the Emirates.

Michael Owen has scored in every match he has played in this season, bar the trip to the Emirates.

Sshhh!! FFS don't tell everyone..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He didn't score against Hull.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He didn't score against Hull.

You're correct, I have tried desperately to etch that game out of my memory. Still, his scoring record is superb, and coupled with the fact that he takes pens, he is a very valuable little goal machine.

You're correct, I have tried desperately to etch that game out of my memory. Still, his scoring record is superb, and coupled with the fact that he takes pens, he is a very valuable little goal machine.
    A goal machine that is in the repair shop more often than not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It's opinions like this that will seperate the men from the boys in Fantasy Football! Only time will tell!

• Advertisement

Hence you sub him out if he's injured, and you capitilise when he is fit. I assume you don't just pick your FF team in Aug, and leave it unchanged for the whole season??

It's opinions like this that will seperate the men from the boys in Fantasy Football! Only time will tell!
    Ha! We'll see!

Hence you sub him out if he's injured, and you capitilise when he is fit. I assume you don't just pick your FF team in Aug, and leave it unchanged for the whole season??
    Of course not, but Owen is 8.5 million with 3 goals from 5 games, but Zaki is currently 6.6 with 5 and an assist from 6 games, Defoe has the same as Zaki and costs less than Owen. Carew, 4 + 2 and only cost 7.2 and there's plenty of others to choose from that cost less than Owen.

The thing is, I'm not denying that Owen gets goals but from past experience in the FF he just gets injured too much and when you add up the fact that he doesn't really get that many assists or bonus points and his high value there's always better options than him imo.

Agree with Bazmo.Zaki woul be a better buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Zaki bubble will burst sooner rather than later though, a la Bobby Zamora two season ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Zaki bubble will burst sooner rather than later though, a la Bobby Zamora two season ago.

Tis somewhat inevitable.. There are more points to be made from the likes of Zaki or Denilson at the moment than there are to be made from Torres and Fabregas. My worry is what to do when Torres et all kick into gear.

Maybe, maybe not, it's his first season. But anyway, the whole point of the game is to pick the cheapest form players when they're actually in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Here is what I hope to be my last dilemma of using my wildcard.....

Who should I pick...

Kirkland / Arbeloa / Carlton Cole

Or

Hart / Alex / Zamora

Cheers for any help

Fanfan wrote: »
    Here is what I hope to be my last dilemma of using my wildcard.....

Who should I pick...

Kirkland / Arbeloa / Carlton Cole

Or

Hart / Alex / Zamora

Cheers for any help
    I'd pick the first threesome.I don't rate Alex at all.
    I think Cole will score more than Zamora this season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Is wonder tho will Alex price shoot up with Carvalho being injured which will surely mean him starting every game....plus he can score? Also concerned with the fact Bellamy is back will this mean Zola will start Di Michele and Bellamy ahead of Carlton Cole?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Alex has an injury worry for Chelsea. Also with Drogba out and Terry looking very doubtful (and not even considering Joe COle and Deco), I may even consider benching Bosingwa! FanFan, I'd go with your first pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

jimbling wrote: »

Reina

Bosingwa
    Skrtel
    Figueroa
    Ronaldo
    Ireland
    Valencia
    Lampard
    Carew
    Defoe
    Zaki

Subs:
    Turnbull
    L Young
    Olsson
    Marney
    Right, I've changed my team a bit again. Some of it due to Chelsea's sudden loss of half they're team.. thought i'd drop Bosingwa for a while.

Reina

Laursen
    Skrtel
    Evra
    Figueroa
    --Ronaldo
    Etherington
    Denilson
    Lampard----
    Cole
    Zaki

Subs:
    Turnbull
    Carew
    Olsson
    Marney

I'm a bit worried about the cole aspect at the moment, due to Bellamy's return, but we'll see how it goes. I still have 1.1 in the bank with this team.
    I don't think I'll keep Etherington for long, but like him against bolton. Will prob switch him back for Valencia in two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Bit of a keeper dilemma...who should I start with

Hart at home to a Liverpool side beginning to find goals.
    Schwarzser away to WBA

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Is nasri injured now guys? and for how long if so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm thinking of bringing in Robbie Keane and selling Defoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Took out Wright Phillips for Noble at West Ham - hope i can use the excess cash next week to bring in Torres :D

Well thats the plan anyways...

Team for this wk:

Green;
    Boswinga, Sagna, Evra;
    Bullard, Noble, Fabergas, Ronaldo (c);
    Zaki, Zamora, Robinho

Banking on Fulham delivering against WBA - Fingers crossed

Anyone think Spurs might be worth a punt?? - 2 next games vs Hull & Stoke

Made another change and have the following for this week:

Reina
    Gordon
    Johnson
    Carra
    Laursen
    A.Cole
    Sagna
    Etherington
    Arteta
    A.Young
    SWP
    Denilson
    Zaki
    Yakubu
    Carew

At the moment, it is looking like I will have Gordon, Laursen, A.Young and SWP on the bench.

Will prob make Yakubu or Arteta captain.

Ollsen worth a punt at 4 million for a reserve defender?

Made another change and have the following for this week:

Reina
    Gordon
    Johnson
    Carra
    Laursen
    A.Cole
    Sagna
    Etherington
    Arteta
    A.Young
    SWP
    Denilson
    Zaki
    Yakubu
    Carew

At the moment, it is looking like I will have Gordon, Laursen, A.Young and SWP on the bench.

Will prob make Yakubu or Arteta captain.

Jesus.That team is very good.It will be interesting to see how you do without Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

james123 wrote: »
    Is nasri injured now guys? and for how long if so ?

Nasri is fit again. He played about 65 minutes against Porto the other night and was grand.

I've resorted to the wild card now after my reasonably poor start, despite some mild glimmers of hope in Torres and such last week. My team now is

Green

Bosingwa
    Skrtel
    Laursen
    Clichy---
    Arteta
    Ireland
    Fabregas
    Nasri
    Young
    Defoe

With Sorensen, Zaki, Carlton Cole and Melchiot on the bench. Will almost certainly make some more changes now though

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Does anyone want to pick a captain for me? My choices have not been good lately at all, he can't be English or cRonaldo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Does anyone want to pick a captain for me? My choices have not been good lately at all, he can't be English or cRonaldo though.
    So your not looking for a lot of points off your captain then!:pac:

• Advertisement

Heard Yakubu was rubbish last night. Wonder will Moyes drop him for the weekend now that they have another decent centre forward in Saha???

Have him as captain so i really don't want to get caught out on this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hmmmm well I listened to the interview with Moyes after the game (it's on the BBC site) and seemed very pleased with bith Yakubu and Saha. Said they played well but were well marshalled by the Liege defence. I'd say he might start both at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ibh wrote: »
    Heard Yakubu was rubbish last night. Wonder will Moyes drop him for the weekend now that they have another decent centre forward in Saha???

Have him as captain so i really don't want to get caught out on this one..

With Cahill being suspended it's almost certain that Moyes will go for 4 4 2(Yakubu & Saha) at home to Newcastle..

Hmmmm well I listened to the interview with Moyes after the game (it's on the BBC site) and seemed very pleased with bith Yakubu and Saha. Said they played well but were well marshalled by the Liege defence. I'd say he might start both at the weekend.
    SickBoy wrote: »
    With Cahill being suspended it's almost certain that Moyes will go for 4 4 2(Yakubu & Saha) at home to Newcastle..

Forgot about Cahill. Just heard a brief report on the game that said he was poor. I know he's a fan of 1 up front usually, but makes sense to go 4-4-2 when Cahill out.
    Darren Bent is being axed from my squad, so expect him to get a hat-trick at the weekend!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Right so decided to use my wildcard
    Old team was
    token56 wrote: »

Cech
    --Bosingwa
    Ferdinand
    Laursen
    Wheater

Eboue
    Ireland
    Wright Philips

Berbatov
    Adebayor(c)
    Santa Cruz
    Subs - Schwarzer, Arteta, Brown, Miete

New team:
    Cech

Bosingwa
    Arbeloa
    Laursen

Ronaldo
    Arteta
    Denilson
    Morrison

Zaki
    Adebayor(c)
    Defoe
    Subs - Schwarzer, Figueroa, Hamann, Pele

Thoughts at the moment are, happy with defense, midfield is ok but has a chink in the armour with morrison, strike force is good altough at some point Zaki will probably calm down. I could get ride of Adebayor and try to better my midfield either way I am still not fully happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

token56 wrote: »
    Right so decided to use my wildcard
    Old team was

New team:
    Cech

Bosingwa
    Arbeloa
    Laursen

Ronaldo
    Arteta
    Denilson
    Morrison

Zaki
    Adebayor(c)
    Defoe
    Subs - Schwarzer, Figueroa, Hamann, Pele

Thoughts at the moment are, happy with defense, midfield is ok but has a chink in the armour with morrison, strike force is good altough at some point Zaki will probably calm down. I could get ride of Adebayor and try to better my midfield either way I am still not fully happy with it.

Glen Little might provide a better alternative to Hamann for your bench. Pompey are light of bodies in midfield at the moment so expect him to play, they also have an easy enough run of games coming up. he takes frees and could prove to be a nice bargain buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Glen Little might provide a better alternative to Hamann for your bench. Pompey are light of bodies in midfield at the moment so expect him to play, they also have an easy enough run of games coming up. he takes frees and could prove to be a nice bargain buy.

Thanks, yeah my bench its pretty weak, but I guess thats a price I have to pay for having both Ronaldo and Adebayor. Although I might take your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

team for the weekend:

cech
    boswinga evra clichy figuero
    ronaldo fabregras ireland
    zaki adebayor davies

what i hate about fantasy football is that it makes me want arsenal to destroy sunderland this weekend! if i didnt have fantasy team i would be the opposite!

Hmmm some big decisions to make, think I will go with:

Reina
    Johnson
    Carra
    Laursen
    Sagna
    Etherington
    Arteta(c)
    Denilson

Zaki
    Yakubu
    Carew

Subs: Gordon, A. Young, SWP and A.Cole in that order.

Really am in two minds about Etherington versus A.Young though... Cheslea are weakened and Villa could do a job on them but Chelsea could easily shut them out and win 1 nil and I will get feck all points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Really am in two minds about Etherington versus A.Young though... Cheslea are weakened and Villa could do a job on them but Chelsea could easily shut them out and win 1 nil and I will get feck all points.

i would be inclined to go for SWP over Etherington. he played very well last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The players I reckon will do well this weekend are...Defoe, Zaki, Ronaldo, Crouch, Anelka, Lampard, The Pavster, Yakubu and Ireland.

*I will not be responsible for anyone basing crucial decisions on this view!*

Loco wrote: »
    i would be inclined to go for SWP over Etherington. he played very well last night

He is defo a better player but I don't think SWP will make much headway against Liverpool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Going to go with

Reina
    ---Bosingwa---Laursen---Carragher---Figueroa---
    Wright-Phillips
    Denilson
    Arteta

Adebayor(C)
    Defoe
    Zaki

With the following substitutes:
    Cech , Ireland , Corluka, Marney

I may yet decide to swap SWP with Marney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hmmm some big decisions to make, think I will go with:

Reina
    Johnson
    Carra
    Laursen
    Sagna
    Etherington
    Arteta(c)
    Denilson

Zaki
    Yakubu
    Carew

Subs: Gordon, A. Young, SWP and A.Cole in that order.

Would it not make more sense to drop Laursen to the bench then?

I brought Young back into my squad this week and originally I wasn't planning on playing him. Chelseas injuries and Villas recent good record against Chelsea have forced me to change my mind though.

Skrtel gets benched, A Young starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

trying to decide between Fab or Arteta for Capt this week.

Everton surely to score a few against Newcastle, but Fab nearly scored 3 or 4 last week.

At moment I have Arteta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm keeping the faith with Ronaldo as captain, it pays off more often are not. There are one or two candidates that I'm thinking of though.

Hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I like the look of a few of my players' fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I will leave Ronaldo as captain until the end of the year. He's just so bloody consistant it doesn't make sense not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Hart
    Bosingwa--Kompany--Painstil---Young
    Young---Lampard---Ronaldo(c)--Arteta
    Zaki
    Tevez

Real roll of the dice this week. Arteta out (there next 3 fixtures are ghey) Bentley in (there next 3 fixtures are tasty, and I am hoping the UEFA cup result is a corner turner for them), and captained :eek:. Banking on no one else really having him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

besty wrote: »

Hart
    Bosingwa--Kompany--Painstil---Young
    Young---Lampard---Ronaldo(c)--Arteta
    Zaki
    Tevez

Dunno mate, I'd probably play Ronaldo on the right and Young on the left, with Arteta closer to the centre :D

Made a couple of transfers this maidin, so here's the team for this weekend.....

James
    Bosingwa
    Distin
    Evra
    WrightPhil----Ireland--Arteta----Young
    ---Zaki
    Berbatov---Defoe(C)

Pompy should do a job on Stoke really. Delap is out I believe, and Pompy should be buoyed by their UEFA cup win. Just hope they're not knackered after it tbh!

So that could be 2 x clean sheets, and hopefully a couple of goals for el capitan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement