Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

SetantaL wrote: »

Young is out of position in the FFL he is a stiker for villa so putting him in midfield is guaranting a lot of 5 point goals ( he takes direct free kicks and expect him to take up penalties with Barry going and he's traditionally high on assists. I reckon this mistake is going to be key this season and everyone will have him by Christmas so good to stock up early.

Young doesn't play up front for Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Young doesn't play up front for Villa.

That's funny. The Aston Villa website has him listed as a striker. Looks like Martin O'Neill's been playing him out of position. somebody better tell him quick.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/PlayerProfiles/0,,10265~23776,00.html

Young isn't even a forward- he's an out and out striker mate. I drafted him into my team last season when he was listed as a striker in time for him to net a brace against birmingham in the derby. Villa have been known to play him on the wing but he's out of position in the FFL and will be getting 5 points for every goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My new team and teh one I'll probably start with unless there are injuries or a new signing that is cheap.

Howard

Lescott Scharner Dunne Laursen

Young Fabregas Modric

Adebayor Yakubu Ashton

Schwarzer Zuiverloon Lawrence Barmby

That's funny. The Aston Villa website has him listed as a striker. Looks like Martin O'Neill's been playing him out of position. somebody better tell him quick.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/PlayerProfiles/0,,10265~23776,00.html

Young isn't even a forward- he's an out and out striker mate. I drafted him into my team last season when he was listed as a striker in time for him to net a brace against birmingham in the derby. Villa have been known to play him on the wing but he's out of position in the FFL and will be getting 5 points for every goal.

He played in midfield in practically every Villa game last season. Villa play Carew and Agbonlahor up front. Young plays mostly on the left wing or sometimes in a free role.

Ask anyone in here if you don't believe me:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335099

Look, he was listed as a striker in the fantasy football league last season and picked up 177 points. This is when a goal was worth 4 points to him. By comparison Gerrard picked up just over 200 points. This season the fantasy football agrees with you but now every goal he scores is going to be worth 5 points. Regardless of where he plays, he IS a striker and scores goals. A scoring midfielder is the name of the game and Young is just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Look, he was listed as a striker in the fantasy football league last season and picked up 177 points. This is when a goal was worth 4 points to him. By comparison Gerrard picked up just over 200 points. This season the fantasy football agrees with you but now every goal he scores is going to be worth 5 points. Regardless of where he plays, he IS a striker and scores goals. A scoring midfielder is the name of the game and Young is just that.

Plus he will get 1 point more for every clean sheet...good bargain for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Invincible

KERRY:

1: Reina

2: Lescott
    3: Ferdinand
    4: Brown
    5: Distin
    6: Laursen

7: Fabregas (C)
    8: Young
    9: Barry
    10: Bentley

11: Defoe

12: Kiely
    Goalkeeper (purely sentimental reasons here)
    13: Lawrence
    Midfielder (Takes Penos and free kicks)
    14: Windass
    Forward (Takes Penos and free kicks)
    15: Folan
    Forward (Broke club trasnfer record)

I went the route of defenders. I'm expecting Barry to be a liverpool player by the start of the season. Ronny is out till October so his valuation will drop like a stone and you can pick him up then for half nothing (if he stays) Expect serious wildcard action when he comes back.

Would have loved to have eiter Torres or Gerard but the cost was prohibative at 12. and 11.5 respectively so took a punt on Deofe who was on fire towards the end of last season. Young is out of position in the FFL he is a stiker for villa so putting him in midfield is guaranting a lot of 5 point goals ( he takes direct free kicks and expect him to take up penalties with Barry going and he's traditionally high on assists. I reckon this mistake is going to be key this season and everyone will have him by Christmas so good to stock up early.

I wish Porstm weren't playing chelsea on the opening day of the season but I expect this team to be consistently solid for points and expect the subs to increase in value to trade up players around christmas- Bently for Gerrard etc.

I was looking at Nasri for Arsenal as they have an easy opening run but I reckon I'll hold back to see if Wenger plays him and how he gets on, he's .5 cheaper than Bentley but no track record so hard to know.

Similarily Jose Bosingwa for Chelsea looks like he's going to come in and be a first team regular and was named in the Euro team of the tournament but Man Utd have a more flattering opening day game against newcastle and as such he's interchangable with Wes Brown.

Finished 8th last year in Boards- hopiing to go better this year.

How do you link Portsmouth and Bentley in your post ?
    As in trading Bentley for Gerrard around Chritmas,Bentley is a Blackburn player,have'nt heard him linked with P-mouth.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Ashley Young does NOT play as a striker for Villa. He plays as an attacking left winger. Villa 2 first choice strikers are Carew and Agbonlahor. It doesn't matter what he's listed as on the Villa website, or what he was categorised as in last year FF.
    He did play as a striker for Watford before he moved to Villa, and this may be whats confusing you.

How do you link Portsmouth and Bentley in your post ?

I don't. I merely said I wish Ports wren't playing chelsea as I have two portsmorth players and defoe on his own for the opening day THEN I started talking about trading up at Christmas. Read the sentence again. EDIT- Just noticed they've Man Utd in their second game- what a stinker of a schedule.
    It doesn't matter what he's listed as on the Villa website, or what he was categorised as in last year FF.
    He did play as a striker for Watford before he moved to Villa, and this may be whats confusing you.

In fact it does. I'm not confused. Young is an adapted forward. Like Henry in reverse. The point I'm trying to make is that last year Young was listed as a forward and came fifth of all forwards in the FF league- above Tevez, above Rooney (granted injuries) above Agbonlahor, above Keane etc.
    This season that same player is picking up an extra point for every goal AND and extra point every time Villa keep a clean sheet and you want to sit here and argue that he plays most of his games on the wing- WHO CARES. The guy is going to be a points monster this season and if you can't get that into your technical heads I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Revised team -

1: Hart
    3: Vidic
    4: Dunne
    5: Skrtel
    6: Fabregas (C)
    7: Young
    8: Kranjcar
    9: Ireland
    10: Torres
    11: Berbatov

12: Myhill
    13: Clement
    14: Barmby
    15: Harewood

Will change again though.

• Advertisement

10: Torres
    11: Berbatov

That's a good call. Today's papers are saying Berbatov is likely to go to Utd, the only problem then would be rotation policies. Benetiz dove me bonkes last season when I had Torres as he only played two of the opening 5 games and banged in a hat trick in the FA cup which was no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Will be doing this again for the 7th year in row. Did crap last year. Didn't score as high as previous years.
    I count my lack of any soccer knowledge as my down fall :)

I count my lack of any soccer knowledge as my down fall
    lol!

Just noticed United and Fulham are not playing in week three and with Pompeys run of crap opening fixtures might start tinkering again.

1.Reina

3: Brown
    4: Ferdinand
    5: O'Brien A

9: Nasri

11: Van Persie

With a view to the three opening games. Arsenal have West Brom, Fulham, and Newcastle so Nasri and Van persie get a punt.
    Bolton have Stoke, Newcastle, West Brom so probably the easiest opening so O'Brien comes in for Distin as pompey have a mare with Man Utd. Chelsea and Everton.

God- I'm wasting too much time on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I always thought of Young as a forward too. I thought they played Agbonlahor and Young either side of Carew.

I think that Andy Gray proved this with his little pog disc set that he loves playing with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

1.Reina

3: Brown

With a view to the three opening games. Arsenal have West Brom, Fulham, and Newcastle so Nasri and Van persie get a punt.
    Bolton have Stoke, Newcastle, West Brom so probably the easiest opening so O'Brien comes in for Distin as pompey have a mare with Man Utd. Chelsea and Everton.

God- I'm wasting too much time on this.

Quality team there!! Quiet a few players similar to mine too!

In:

Schmeichel

Irwin
    Bruce
    Ferdinand
    Evra

Giggs
    Keane
    Scholes
    Best

Cantona
    van Nistelrooy

Subs:

Chris Eagles
    Kieran Richardson
    Luke Steele

***May not be real team***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

***May not be real team***

I hope not! Kasper Schmeichel aint all that :pac: Go for David James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

[Everton]

1: Howard

[Everton]
    Dream team

[Man Utd]
    Dream team
    3: Ferdinand

[Man Utd]
    Dream team
    4: Vidic

[Arsenal]
    Dream team
    5: Fabregas

[Aston Villa]
    Dream team
    6: Young

[Tottenham]
    Dream team
    7: Modric
    (C)

[Portsmouth]
    8: Kranjcar

[Bolton]
    9: Elmander

[Man Utd]
    Dream team
    10: Tevez

[Middlesbrough]
    11: Alves

[Fulham]
    12: Schwarzer
    Goalkeeper

[West Brom]
    13: Pele
    Defender

[Stoke City]
    14: Griffin
    Defender

[Stoke City]
    Dream team
    15: Whelan
    Midfielder

dont know how it came up like this but here yea go theres my team for the moment anyway, picked whelan from stoke as hes a nice shot on him and i got a feeling they will be limited to taking long shots from long distance so he,s in at 4.4 he,s a bargain for an international.pele,s in purely as he,s called pele hope he can bring some luck, modrics in temp as im not sure what his role will be and if he,ll be rotated.alves is in as he looked sht hot towards the end of last season.teves vidic and ferdinand pick them selves.young is in purely as he,s ranked as a midfielder he was a stricker last season not bad either.kranjkars in as i feel he,s going from strenght to strenght this year little bit expensive but worth it i hope.elmander mmmm we,ll just have to see, im hopeing they off load douif as he did do that horribly imbarresing lap of honour around the reebok stadium and theres nobody intrested oh dear.lescott was amazing for me last season got me out of a few holes.

• Advertisement

Ashley Young only got 8 goals last year.8 points is not a huge difference and hes a midfielder.He plays on the wing like Agbonlahor and Carew is up front.

Oh God not again. Let it go.

Only 8 goals- same as drogba then.

He was also seond in the assists table:

Assists - Fabregas 20, Young 17, Gerrard 14, Lampard 12, Rooney 12, Jones 11

Villa also kept 13 clean sheets so that's an additional 21 points which would have brought his total last year to 198 if he was listed in midfield and in the top 4 and the dream team. If Barry goes he'll also be taking penalties. I'd have to look up how many he got from the spot but even with penos for Barry Young would finish above him with the changed classification. If you gave them to Young he'd beat Gerrard and Fabregas and would finish second behind Ronaldo. Only he's 3.0 cheaper than Gerrard and 1.5 cheaper than Fabe. He's a bargain.

Look, if you don't want him, don't pick him. I cannot really see your point. How is he being listed as a midfielder a disadvantage exactly?

almanu wrote: »
    [Bolton]
    Dream team
    9: Elmander

Oh hai Mr. Megson, welcome to boards.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ashley Young only got 8 goals last year.8 points is not a huge difference and hes a midfielder.He plays on the wing like Agbonlahor and Carew is up front.
    it aint all about the goals sonny,

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Oh hai Mr. Megson, welcome to boards.
    lmao i got a good feeling about him xavi6 or i could be just messing up a little earlier this season.

Look, if you don't want him, don't pick him. I cannot really see your point. How is he being listed as a midfielder a disadvantage exactly?

You make some good points and I think he will do great again next season as you say even better now he is listed as midfielder. BTW I have him in my team too.

My problem was you said:
    Young is out of position in the FFL he is a stiker for villa

I pointed out he isn't a striker he's a winger. Simple as.

• Advertisement

I pointed out he isn't a striker he's a winger. Simple as.

Look buddy if you want to get technical he's listed as a striker on villa's webiste and is being played out of position on the wings, most of the time he plays off the two strikers as a roving advanced player. He arrived from Wigan as a striker.

simple as, and for he record I hate this pednatic one upman-ship crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

almanu wrote: »
    [Everton]

[Man Utd]
    Dream team
    10: Tevez

dont know how it came up like this but here yea go theres my team for the moment anyway, picked whelan from stoke as hes a nice shot on him and i got a feeling they will be limited to taking long shots from long distance so he,s in at 4.4 he,s a bargain for an international.pele,s in purely as he,s called pele hope he can bring some luck, modrics in temp as im not sure what his role will be and if he,ll be rotated.alves is in as he looked sht hot towards the end of last season.teves vidic and ferdinand pick them selves.young is in purely as he,s ranked as a midfielder he was a stricker last season not bad either.kranjkars in as i feel he,s going from strenght to strenght this year little bit expensive but worth it i hope.elmander mmmm we,ll just have to see, im hopeing they off load douif as he did do that horribly imbarresing lap of honour around the reebok stadium and theres nobody intrested oh dear.lescott was amazing for me last season got me out of a few holes.

Not sure about Tevez tbh. If United bring in a striker ie Berbatov, I'd expect to see a fair bit of rotation up front. Expecially if Ronaldo is still with United.

He arrived from Wigan as a striker.

I think this proves you have no idea about Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

With Agger back, who do people see as the 2 CB's for Liverpool this summer?

Is Carra finally going to be replaced?

He arrived from Wigan as a striker.

simple as, and for he record I hate this pednatic one upman-ship crap.

Well your going to love me, cos I'm not pedantic a-tall a-tall.

He arrived from Watford, not Wigan.

Anyway, I generally agree with you, he is going to be a great signing, and I have him in my team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

lol!

Just noticed United and Fulham are not playing in week three and with Pompeys run of crap opening fixtures might start tinkering again.

I'll be the first to admit I know shag all about soccer or the players. The new transfers at the startofeach season always get me. Haven't clue who most of them are. I need stats to play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

With Agger back, who do people see as the 2 CB's for Liverpool this summer?

Is Carra finally going to be replaced?

It's a head-scratcher. I don't think Carra will be replaced, purely because he organises and leads the defense. He's absolutely crucial for defending set-pieces too.

I think Agger will get the nod over Skrtl. He was on cracking form before his injury, had built up a great partnership with Carra and his style of play compliments him very well. He's also very comfortable bringing the ball out of defense, so I'd expect him to start ahead of Skrtl.

Personally, the only Liverpool players that I'd be comfortable picking for my Fantasy Football team would be Reina, Carra, Macherano, Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres. Two new full-backs, Agger's return to fitness and the Alonso/Barry saga put too many question marks over the remaining positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

might possibly see Skrtl out at LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Skrtel will not be playing at LB.
    Agger and Carragher will be first choice with carragher moving to RB for european games
    where a tight compact performance is required.
    He will play the majority of the big games

Will G.Neville reclaim his starting place,now that he's playing pre-season?
    It will be harsh on Brown to lose his position,better player that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Invincible wrote: »
    It will be harsh on Brown to lose his position,better player that he is.

Brown a better player than Neville :rolleyes: not a hope tbh

And he's much better looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Im sure fergie takes that into account when he is picking his team ;)

Nah, sure he still picks Tevez!

Not sure about Tevez tbh. If United bring in a striker ie Berbatov, I'd expect to see a fair bit of rotation up front. Expecially if Ronaldo is still with United.
    im counting on ronaldo fckin off tbh, please god, if he,s any pride in him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

atm

Robert Green

Daniel Agger
    Gareth Bale
    John Terry
    Gael Clichy

Cesc Fabregas
    Joe Cole
    Michael Johnson
    Antonio Valencia

Robbie Keane
    Robin Van Persie

Subs not worth mentioning but they should get their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo is going to be injuried for the start of the season, his price will drop massively. The key will be, imo, to buy him maybe 2 weeks before he gets fit again, before his price jumps through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Will the prices change at all before gamesweek 1 does anyone know?

Most players are priced very similar at the moment so is there gunna be a change before the season starts or will we be stuck with static player prices and have to pick a team round that?

I didnt start in the first week last season so just wondering....:confused:

btw on a side note does anyone know how to unsubscribe for boards.ie posts? my email inbox is full of "you have a reply in this thread" and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

joe123 wrote: »
    Will the prices change at all before gamesweek 1 does anyone know?

Most players are priced very similar at the moment so is there gunna be a change before the season starts or will we be stuck with static player prices and have to pick a team round that?

I didnt start in the first week last season so just wondering....:confused:

No prices change before the the season starts. It's not the worst idea to be keeping an eye on the transfer market either because the limit you can have of one team is 3 players but if you felt a player from another club was coming in, e.g Berbatov to Man U, you could sign him now while he's still at Spurs and he'd stay in your team even if you had another 3 Man United players in it. Just thought I'd mention that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

if you felt a player from another club was coming in, e.g Berbatov to Man U, you could sign him now while he's still at Spurs and he'd stay in your team even if you had another 3 Man United players in it. Just thought I'd mention that.

I don't think so, not that I remember. I'm sure I had 3 United players and Carrick when he was at Spurs, before he moved. I had to get rid of a United player then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I don't think so, not that I remember. I'm sure I had 3 United players and Carrick when he was at Spurs, before he moved. I had to get rid of a United player then.

Is that because you tried to make another transfer?

No prices change before the the season starts. It's not the worst idea to be keeping an eye on the transfer market either because the limit you can have of one team is 3 players but if you felt a player from another club was coming in, e.g Berbatov to Man U, you could sign him now while he's still at Spurs and he'd stay in your team even if you had another 3 Man United players in it. Just thought I'd mention that.

You could keep your 4th player from the club until you complete your 1st transfer,then you would have to tranfer the 4th player out.

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldo is going to be injuried for the start of the season, his price will drop massively. The key will be, imo, to buy him maybe 2 weeks before he gets fit again, before his price jumps through the roof.

I'm not really sure if this is the case. The way I read it, his price will only drop massively if loads of people have him at the start, then transfer him out. If hardly anyone has him I don't think his price can drop that much. Price changes are only based on the number of people that transfer a player in/out of their team, iirc.

And seeing as it appears he will be out for the start I don't think too many people are going to waste 14mil on him, I know I'm not!

Bugger, Brown out- Jamie Carra in- anyone else think he's a bargain at 6.5- thought he'd be 7 with Evra and Ferdinand and that.

1. Reina

3: Carragher

I'm not really sure if this is the case. The way I read it, his price will only drop massively if loads of people have him at the start, then transfer him out. If hardly anyone has him I don't think his price can drop that much. Price changes are only based on the number of people that transfer a player in/out of their team, iirc.

And seeing as it appears he will be out for the start I don't think too many people are going to waste 14mil on him, I know I'm not!

16.1% have him picked apparantly- was running at 30% earlier in the week-
    I seem to remember a few players who were pretty stagnant for people having them picked and their price dropped anyway last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing is, the 16% who picked him might not be particuarly active players. I'll have a look at it closer to the end. The thing is though, Ronaldo is a must for any team, even at that price.

Advertisement