Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

Was Robbie Keane stripped of his assist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

61 points, not bad.

Can someone explain why Denilson gets a bonus point for 0 goals conceded? They conceded 1 goal?! And if he got it why wouldn't Fabregas too?!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

can torres keep goin on this scoring spree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Loco wrote: »
    61 points, not bad.

Can someone explain why Denilson gets a bonus point for 0 goals conceded? They conceded 1 goal?! And if he got it why wouldn't Fabregas too?!

Denilson was subbed before Sunderland scored, so he kept his clean sheet point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

can torres keep goin on this scoring spree?

I think so - shame there's the international break now

• Advertisement

Question for Pool fans, who's more likely to replace Skrtel? Agger or Hyypia?

I think the consensus woud be Agger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

41 points, terrible week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

61 points, good week.

goals from defoe(captain),arteta and fabregas making up the majority of my points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Has to be Agger. Please god let it be Agger.

Arbeloa might be worth the effort the punt. He is as sure a bet as Carra at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'm going for a new tactic, wildcard being used now, I'm not having and Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Everton players on my team ever again, because I hate having to hope that Evra gets a clean sheet or Arteta gets an assist all the time. I may not win any leagues any more, but feck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A solid 55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

An ok 60!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Bongomc wrote: »
    61 points, good week.

goals from defoe(captain),arteta and fabregas making up the majority of my points.

Don't say terrible, I got 46! I thought I did deadly :)
    I only joined in week 6, I'm 5th in that league :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

46 Muck.

Liverpool conceeding and SWP doing terribly let me down.

The chap I'm chasing in one of my leagues has moved up to 24 points ahead of me but he doesn't have Ronaldo and I KNOW it's only a matter of time before Ronnie has a two goal, one assist, three bonus points game and that lead will be poofed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

54 points which is ok I guess, I really have to stop picking adebayor as my captain but I know the week I do he will go and sore a hat trick

Down to 4th in Boards, still unbeaten in my head to head.
    The current overall leader joined the league this gameweek.

Of all the weeks they had to join....

And the chap in 2nd joined last week. Not saying this is happening but what's stopping people from having multiple teams and just joining with their best one once it's doing well?

SetantaL wrote: »
    Down to 4th in Boards, still unbeaten in my head to head.

And the chap in 2nd joined last week. Not saying this is happening but what's stopping people from having multiple teams and just joining with their best one once it's doing well?

good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Agger, definitely. Plus there is always a chance he can chip in with the odd goal or assist thanks to his ferocious shot and passing skills respectively.

62 points this week, my best in awhile. Too many Villa players were the only things that f'd me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Nothing. There's really not a lot you can do about that though. Locking down the league is an option but what about people who genuinely join boards midyear and want to join the league?

• Advertisement

Ah.I hate decisions.I wanna trade Clichy for Boswinga or Laursen for Agger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Am i alone in thinking Anderson is a bargin at 6 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fanfan wrote: »

Never scores and has a very poor assist rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

DM Midfielders score fook all, unless you are the bonus machine that is Michael Essien.

TBH, I think they need to overhaul that one. The guardian has a separate position in the team for the DM, and you score according to tackles won and pass completed.

If you were to gauge a player by their fantasy points, someone like Makele would look like an absolute duffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DM Midfielders score fook all, unless you are the bonus machine that is Michael Essien.

TBH, I think they need to overhaul that one. The guardian has a separate position in the team for the DM, and you score according to tackles won and pass completed.

If you were to gauge a player by their fantasy points, someone like Makele would look like an absolute duffer.
    I agree 100%

Normally at the end of the season you can tell if a player has had a good season just by looking at their FF points but as you've said, someone like Essien or Anderson wouldn't get that many as they generally don't get goals or assists and tend to get yellow cards even though they may have put in great performances week in week out.
    Although, having said that, it could start to get too complicated if they started assigning different sub categories to each position. I can even see a special sub category for the likes of Paul McShane & Titus Bramble - "Sh1t Defenders"

Agreed. When people sign up for FF they often pick players like Mascherano, Hargreaves etc until they realise that DMs get feck all points. They do a great job for their clubs, but it's not represented by their points haul. There definitely should be points for tackles, just like goalkeepers getting points for a certain amount of saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I used my wildcard, my squad is now:

Keepers: Hart, Jaaskelinaen
    Defenders: Agger, A. O Brien, N'Zogbia, Paintsil, C. Davies
    Midfielders: D. Murphy, Nolan, Young, Gerrard, Ireland
    Forwards: Torres, Jo, Carew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

No offence now, but that looks like a waste of a wildcard. Your defense and midfield look very weak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

No offence now, but that looks like a waste of a wildcard. Your defense and midfield look very weak...

At least he has two weeks to get it right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

barring injuries or price changes I think I'm gonna sacrifice clichy for a 4m defender and bring in lampard, so that i'll have lampard, ronaldo and adebayor in the one team. The three of them are points-scoring machines, and lampard and adebayor constantly get unmerited bonus points, worth sacrificing clichy for i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

wildcard and no ronaldo = :confused:

Love him or hate him you gotta have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

carlop wrote: »
    barring injuries or price changes I think I'm gonna sacrifice clichy for a 4m defender and bring in lampard, so that i'll have lampard, ronaldo and adebayor in the one team. The three of them are points-scoring machines, and lampard and adebayor constantly get unmerited bonus points, worth sacrificing clichy for i think.

Liking this tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

JPA wrote: »
    wildcard and no ronaldo = :confused:

Love him or hate him you gotta have him.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

I bought him in two weeks ago, was thinking he will start regular at the moment with the injuries united have in midfield, got me 6 points last week. Personally i think he can score goals, its only a matter or time before he breaks his duck and when he does hopefully he go on a run and gets a few assists too!

kmart6 wrote: »
    +1

Totally agree

I think the other essential to any team is also Torres - so far his stats with Liverpool are 38 goals in 57 games which is a goal every 1.5 games. Also even with the arrival of Keane he's pretty much going to be an ever-present in the Liverpool line-up when fit. He's has started to score goals away from Anfield (which was his only weakness last season) Also I think he is pretty much guaranteed to score goals consistently throughout the season which I don't think you can say with the same level of confience with a lot of the other strikers - some of the other strikers like Carew, Zaki, Adebayor I think they are going to be more patchy and it will be a question of having them in the team when they are in scoring mode. Some of these might even score consistently throughout the season but I think trying to predict this at the moment is very tricky whereas with Torres you just know he is going to get goals.

Also even though Gerrard is in my team, I'm not sure he's great value for money as with the formation Liverpool are playing so far this season he's been playing a lot further away from goal than last year when he was playing more of an attacking role off Torres. I don't see him getting the the same points haul as a result. I'm thinking of switching him with Lampard.

Agger does look a bit of a bargain at 5.9 especially if the Pool defence keep up their impressive defensive performance and there is a reasonable chance he might get a goal/assist or two from set-pieces -free kicks/corners
    ( Scored a well tasty free kick in the Carling Cup last week) Also given his price has dropped from 6.5 to 5.9 there is no real possibility of his price going down and a vey good chance it will climb.

I don't think Hart is a good choice of a keeper especially at 5.0 - Man City have left in the most goals in the PL and I can't see them tightening up much any-time soon with the squad they have. I think there are better options out there - Turnbull at 4 for Boro might be a better sub keeper

Another possible bargain might be Keane at 8.6 - you're pretty much guaranteed his price cant go any lower - now that he has got the first goal out of the wat I could see him possibly going on a run - The only downside is if Rafa switches to a 4-2-3-1 but I can't see him deploying this very much in the League and Keane has started pretty much every league game apart from the game against City (and even then he came on as sub)- Apart from the Chelsea game Liverpool have a reasonable run of games over the next 10 games or so.

• Advertisement

I don't think Hart is a good choice of a keeper especially at 5.0 - Man City have left in the most goals in the PL and I can't see them tightening up much any-time soon with the squad they have. I think there are better options out there - Turnbull at 4 for Boro might be a better sub keeper

Don't think City have let in the most goals, Everton I think have the worst record so far. Pompey must be up there too. If you can afford a good keeper I think it is a handy way of picking up points, the obvious choice would be Cech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Boggles wrote: »
    Don't think City have let in the most goals, Everton I think have the worst record so far. Pompey must be up there too. If you can afford a good keeper I think it is a handy way of picking up points, the obvious choice would be Cech.

Carson seems better value for money. Costs 1.2 less than Cech and has only 1 point less. Cech can be a bit of a sicknote whereas Carson is gonna be tested every week and as long as he keeps making lots of saves, you should be fine.

Carson seems better value for money. Costs 1.2 less than Cech and has only 1 point less. Cech can be a bit of a sicknote whereas Carson is gonna be tested every week and as long as he keeps making lots of saves, you should be fine.

Thats the thing I found out this weekend with Friedel, he was credited with 10 saves and picked up 3 points for them, but he conceded so he only came out with 4 points altogether, where Cech picked his nose for the game and came out with 6.

Point being Friedel had an excellent game, Cech did nothing and still got higher points.

West Brom and Carson have started well, don't think they will sustain it thou, they have some ties coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

some of the other strikers like Carew, Zaki, Adebayor I think they are going to be more patchy and it will be a question of having them in the team when they are in scoring mode.

I'm not 100% but I think Adebayor was the top scoring striker last year. He seems to get assists and bonus points all the time. Just look at his points this year already.

I also would try to avoid having 2 big players from the same team as if that team has an off day you're low on points. e.g. Torres and Lampard would be better than Torres and Gerrard.

Boggles wrote: »
    Thats the thing I found out this weekend with Friedel, he was credited with 10 saves and picked up 3 points for them, but he conceded so he only came out with 4 points altogether, where Cech picked his nose for the game and came out with 6.

Point being Friedel had an excellent game, Cech did nothing and still got higher points.

West Brom and Carson have started well, don't think they will sustain it thou, they have some ties coming up.
    Yeah but at the end of the year most keepers end up with the same points there or thereabouts.
    The problem with the likes of Cech & Reina is that they cost at least 1 million more than most other keepers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Fantasy Footie can drive anyone mad...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sEoRd9AVYyg&feature=related

I'm interested to see the rest of your team?

wardie wrote: »
    Fantasy Footie can drive anyone mad...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sEoRd9AVYyg&feature=related
    Haha! I've seen a few of these before but this one I can relate to! Well the Fantasy Football part, not the bit about killing the Jews and the little moustache.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm interested to see the rest of your team?

A mate of mine has Ronaldo, Adebayor and Torres in the same team (used wildcard recently). The ck/def are all bargain basements and he has the regular decent cheap players in mf/fw such as Zaki, Denilson, Ireland, Valencia. Has been doing well since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Totally agree

I think the other essential to any team is also Torres - so far his stats with Liverpool are 38 goals in 57 games which is a goal every 1.5 games. Also even with the arrival of Keane he's pretty much going to be an ever-present in the Liverpool line-up when fit. He's has started to score goals away from Anfield (which was his only weakness last season) Also I think he is pretty much guaranteed to score goals consistently throughout the season which I don't think you can say with the same level of confience with a lot of the other strikers - some of the other strikers like Carew, Zaki, Adebayor I think they are going to be more patchy and it will be a question of having them in the team when they are in scoring mode. Some of these might even score consistently throughout the season but I think trying to predict this at the moment is very tricky whereas with Torres you just know he is going to get goals.
    Torres is obviously going to score plenty of goals/points this season as he's a quality player. I'm still not sure he's worth 12 million though. Second highest valued player in the game? Twice the price of Zaki? I've avoided him so far and I can't see him making it into my team anytime soon.

going to give clichy 1/2 more weeks i think. gave fabregas a chance and he scored at the weekend!

as long as none of these players gets injured in the internationals, can anyone suggest any changes i should make for the next gameweek?!

cech
    boswinga evra clichy figeuroa
    ronaldo fabregas ireland
    zaki adebayor davies

schwarzer marney delap paintsil

adebayor has not scored since his hatrick, but has been picking up assists and bonus points. should i get defoe in? will free up funds for me to improve the midfield / save for torres

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Given the choice, which 3 would you have in the team...

Harte, Adebayor, C. Cole

OR

Van Der Sar, Carew, DeFoe

I'm leaning towards the second trio, but the second I drop Ade, he'll get a hatrick lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

I've

Cech

Boswinga Carragher Arbeloa

Lampard(c) Arteta Wright Phillips Ireland

Defoe Adebayor Zaki

Schwarzer Olsson Marney Dawson

I wonder if Zaki will keep his good point scoring form going? Also, anyone think Torres for 12.0 is better value than Adebayor for 11.2?

I think players values should be considered when trading them in. Like Stephen Ireland has gone up since I included him first day so I should get the 0.3 benefit from having him if i was to trade him in

Have ya now? That's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have ya now? That's interesting.

thats a super contribution

• Advertisement
Advertisement