Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

slingerz wrote: »
    thats a super contribution

As is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

With the International week coming up it's hard not to get ansy and start looking at transfers.

I brought in Giovanni for Reo Croker on my subs bench purely because I know his value will shoot up as the sheep rush to get the newest bargain buy.

I've avoided Gerrard, Torres and Ade this season. I just think they are over-priced. Defoe is the buy of the season imo as he is consistent, takes peno's and is not likely to be a victim of any rotation policy. Torres scoring 4 times in the last two weeks looks amazing and I'd fancy hime to end up top scorer but the sacrifice needed to afford him AND Ronaldo are just too high. He looks a great paring with Lampard but it's still hard to go without the greasy one.

Instead I've gone for quality at the back.

Reina,

Bosingwa, Carra, Ferdinand, Clichy and Laursen

are all going to be consistent points getters over the season. They are never going to score a delicious hat-trick but they all are likely to be the top bonus point defenders for their respective clubs and I'd fancy them to chip in with a goal here and there. Bosingwa brought home the bacon two weeks ago and Laursen had 6 goals last season plus the pundits seem to have adopted him as some sort of clumsy love child. Also the fluke week that has all the 0-0 results which happens every season will be my friend.

Ronny,(C) Denilson and SWP in midfield.

SWP has been quiet lately but he has the pedigree and will be a consistent performer barring injury. He is also likely to survive any cull in January (unlike Ireland) and his average is insane- 7.2 for the last 5 games.

Denilson is a lottery. I was delighted to see him start in the Champions league as it seems that Wenger has him down as a first team player. He has played over 100 minutes longer than any other arsenal midfielder and although he is never going to be another Fabe his price is rock bottom.

The greasy one is who he is. A bastard. But a talented one. The guy couldn't hit the side of a barn over the weekend and missed who knows how many chances but still popped up with an assist. I think people are waiting for him to hit form but we're going to see a few weeks of the greasy one going two goals or an assist and a goal for three games in a row and a huge schism in players with him and those that decided that he wasn't worth the risk. Old timers like me who have seen this happen every season mounted the pony from day one. I only wish I had made the guy captain when he bagged 14 points on his return. Of course when we've all saddled the greasy one as captain after he bags a hat trick that blasted Scot will choose to rest him, and then bring him on for the last 5 minutes when your first sub fires in a Hat trick- Forsell for me last season and it hurt!

Up front is Defoe and Zaki. Defoe is Jesus this season and seems to have been totally under-rated around here. Did you know that Zaki is rated as the tp forward in the world by FIFA by some bizarre scoring system. I didn't till my house mate reminded me after I had stopped slagging the chances of some virgin foreign front man hack and had to meekly include him in my wildcard week and what are the chances he bags two against the pool in a fortnight.

Ade is inconsistent, but the only player in any of my leagues to stay in front of me has him as captain and has been saddling him as captain to stay in front of me by the thinnest of margins. He's up to 155th in the world but has no greasy one. I'll admit he annoys me because even when he plays ****e and Arsenal lose he manages to pick up bonus points for sleeping with the pundits daughter or some such.

I wish I could afford Torres, Lampard and Ade but I prefer my defensive points to cost ratio. Lets see if it works.

So, last week was crap, but I'm still 4th in Boards. 7-0 in my head to head and that's my team. Now, tear it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I couldn't wait any longer to make my transfers, if lampard had gpne up .1 i would have been crushed. Now my team is Reina; bosingwa, evra, l young; ronaldo, lampard, etherington, denilson; zaki, zamora and adebayor. Zamora doesn't inspire me with confidence and I don't expect Zaki to continue the way he's started, but Ronaldo, Lampard and Adebayor is going to be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Where do people think it is best to concentrate their budget on i.e defence, midfield or forwards. Looking at my team I have a midfield of A Young, Lampard,Ronaldo, Fabregas and Ireland. So most of my budget goes here leaving me with little to spend on defence and strikers, my two strikers are Zaki and Zamora. Looking at the overall leaders, defence seems to be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

SetantaL where did you finish last year as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

SetantaL wrote: »
    The greasy one is who he is. A bastard. But a talented one. The guy couldn't hit the side of a barn over the weekend and missed who knows how many chances but still popped up with an assist. I think people are waiting for him to hit form but we're going to see a few weeks of the greasy one going two goals or an assist and a goal for three games in a row and a huge schism in players with him and those that decided that he wasn't worth the risk. Old timers like me who have seen this happen every season mounted the pony from day one. I only wish I had made the guy captain when he bagged 14 points on his return. Of course when we've all saddled the greasy one as captain after he bags a hat trick that blasted Scot will choose to rest him, and then bring him on for the last 5 minutes when your first sub fires in a Hat trick- Forsell for me last season and it hurt!

I'm suprised by the lack of people who have Ronaldo at the very top of the overall standings. A lot might of being waiting for this week to bring him in though. I'm hoping they don't. If Ronaldo can put in one of his inspiring FF performances against West Brom then I wouldn't be suprised to jump up a good few places to very near the top of the overall rankings.

Nice team by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone else find these Intl. breaks are the nemesis of FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Given the choice, which 3 would you have in the team...

Harte, Adebayor, C. Cole

OR

Van Der Sar, Carew, DeFoe

I'm leaning towards the second trio, but the second I drop Ade, he'll get a hatrick lol :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you mean Joe Hart and not Ian! :p

City's defence has been shit lately and we will concede til Christmas. The 2nd option is easily the choice for me.

And yes Charlie, I hate international football too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Riddle me this:

My team:

Reina
    Clichy Vidic Skrtel
    Lamps Arteta A Young Ireland Denilson
    Yakubu C.Cole

Bench:
    Schwarzer; L. Young; Figeroa; Folan (Hull)

Question: Have 3.4 mill in bank. What to do?? Can do one of the following:

1. Get in Greasy One for Lamps?
    2. Get in Torres for Yak
    3. Bring in Defoe for Yak, and any defender (prob a chelsea) for L.Young. (Drop Cole for 4-5-1 formation).
    4. Some combo of the above.

Any comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Replace the injured Skrtel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Replace the injured Skrtel?

He's injured? Doh! Not up as injured in the FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Where do people think it is best to concentrate their budget on i.e defence, midfield or forwards. Looking at my team I have a midfield of A Young, Lampard,Ronaldo, Fabregas and Ireland. So most of my budget goes here leaving me with little to spend on defence and strikers, my two strikers are Zaki and Zamora. Looking at the overall leaders, defence seems to be the way to go.

GK
    DF
    MF
    FW

in that order give the best point value per million spent.

SetantaL where did you finish last year as a matter of interest?

6th in Boards and I think about 2,000 overall but I had a woefull start to the season. I think I was about the 20,000 mark till November and my subs had capitalised and allowed me to upgrade a few players.
    Riddle me this:

My team:

Reina
    Clichy Vidic Skrtel
    Lamps Arteta A Young Ireland Denilson
    Yakubu C.Cole

Bench:
    Schwarzer; L. Young; Figeroa; Folan (Hull)

Question: Have 3.4 mill in bank. What to do?? Can do one of the following:

1. Get in Greasy One for Lamps?
    2. Get in Torres for Yak
    3. Bring in Defoe for Yak, and any defender (prob a chelsea) for L.Young. (Drop Cole for 4-5-1 formation).
    4. Some combo of the above.

I'd proably swap Yak for Torres and play the 4-5-1. Very hard to look past the greasy one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

SofaK wrote: »
    GK
    DF
    MF
    FW

in that order give the best point value per million spent.

That'd be fine and dandy if you only had 66m to spend, but since you've ~100m, spending it all on a goalie and five defenders wont let you compete with people who have Lampard, Ronaldo, Torres and other more expensive attacking players. Look at how many points Lampard has scored in comparison to Cech's haul. A lot of outfield players have outscored the top goalie points and that will probably continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That'd be fine and dandy if you only had 66m to spend, but since you've ~100m, spending it all on a goalie and five defenders wont let you compete with people who have Lampard, Ronaldo, Torres and other more expensive attacking players. Look at how many points Lampard has scored in comparison to Cech's haul. A lot of outfield players have outscored the top goalie points and that will probably continue.
    Yeah but he clearly stated in his post that it's "the best point value per million spent"

But having said that, it's generally the midfield is where the most points are gained.

• Advertisement

I've done a breadkdown on the top players from last year and here's the value

Although midfield brings home the most points it's 60% more expensive. The value is therefore in the defenders.

Also one has to factor in that Torres, Ade, Gerrard and Ronaldo have all made significant jumps in their cost this year which further reduces their value

Points per million

Def 27.75
    Mid 19.98
    For 21.83

Points per million

GK James 33.4

DF Neville 32.67
    DF Ferdinan 26.31
    DF Laursen 36.22
    DF Carragher 19.43

MD Ronaldo 23.58
    MD Steve G 19.05
    MD Lampard 13.55
    MD A Young 25.29

FW Ade 25.00
    FW Torres 19.30

Yes, Lampard will score more than Czech over a season but not 100% more which is what he costs.

Therefore for maximum value for you 100 million you should buy the top 5 defenders, the top goalie and top value midfielders. Last year this would be Ronaldo and Young.

Naturally price constraints will not allow you to buy the top midfielders or forwards but you don't have to if you have a solid back line. I've used this this season to great effect.

Hope it helps.

WHY IS BOARDS SO USELESS FOR REPRESENTING DATA TABLES?

Excel spreadsheet attached if the above makes your eyes bleed.

I done a points per million analysis earlier on in the thread if anybody is bothered looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think I'll hold off on making any transfers until the international games are out of the way. Also there's a calf injury concern on Zaki and I need to see how that pans out as I might need to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I done a points per million analysis earlier on in the thread if anybody is bothered looking for it.

Here's the post if anyone's interested.

Personally speaking I've made my midtable mediocrity bed like I do every year in this game and I'm happy to lie in it. It's cold outside.

Actually.Anybody think that Agger would be a good buy at 5.9?

• Advertisement

Also there's a calf injury concern on Zaki

Can't find anything on this?

RVP missed the Holland game with an injury though.

Can't find anything on this?

Yeah there's talk he might have a slight muscle tear and he's gone off to play a crucial game for Egypt so there's a chance he could aggravate it.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/wigan_athletic/s/1071168_zaki_worry_for_bruce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

need your opinions on transfer/team choice for this weekend!

Cech
    Boswinga Evra Clichy
    Ronaldo Fabregas Ireland Marney Delap
    Adebayor Davies

Subs: Schwarzer Zaki Figeuroa Paintsil

I'm looking to use my transfer, but not sure what to do?
    Only thing i can think of is Defoe for Adebayor. What would you think of this change?

Positives: Frees up cash for a better defender/midfielder next week

Negatives: Adebayor gets lots of bonus points, and hasn't scored in a while so this weekend could be his!

ps. only .02mill in reserve

I'd put Zaki in the starting line up. If he doesn't make it just have Davies lined up as your automatic sub.

Why do you need to make a change. If you're happy with your team just leave it.

Davies has been quality lately, i'll leave him in.

Might sideline Delap so.

Who would be best to replace Clichy?

Agger or Arbeloa? Not sure which of these is better / likely to start for the rest of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i'd like to know who people think i should bring into my team this week. while i have no chance in the boards league, im doing well in another one with mates.

right, here's the team.

1. friedel.
    2. bosingwa
    3. traore (armand)
    4. dossena
    5. figueroa
    6. arteta
    7. young
    8. denilson
    9. lampard
    10. adebayor
    11. yakubu
    12. marlon king
    13. diarra
    14. luke young
    15. schwarzer

not sure who to drop this week

i'd like to know who people think i should bring into my team this week. while i have no chance in the boards league, im doing well in another one with mates.

right, here's the team.

1. friedel.
    2. bosingwa
    3. traore (armand)
    4. dossena
    5. figueroa
    6. arteta
    7. young
    8. denilson
    9. lampard
    10. adebayor
    11. yakubu
    12. marlon king
    13. diarra
    14. luke young
    15. schwarzer

not sure who to drop this week

I'd drop Figueroa to the bench. That's what I intend to do. You'd fancy Liverpool to put at least two goals past Wigan at Anfield so he's likely to incur a loss rather than a gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

My fantasy football jinx strikes again

I had Torres in my team from the start of the season. He scores just one goal in the opening few games. I ship him out before the Everton game and he goes and scores 4 in 2 games.

Buy him back before the internationals and he gets injured playing for Spain last night. Dose.

On the plus side, he's a Liverpool player, so its not all bad:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Anyone know what the story is with Deco for the weekend?
    PhysioRoom has him down for an October 18th return, any Chelski fans heard anything more on this?

(Coz Im assuming you all have regular one to one conversations with Big Phil :p)

KevIRL wrote: »
    My fantasy football jinx strikes again

I had Torres in my team from the start of the season. He scores just one goal in the opening few games. I ship him out before the Everton game and he goes and scores 4 in 2 games.

Buy him back before the internationals and he gets injured playing for Spain last night. Dose.

On the plus side, he's a Liverpool player, so its not all bad:pac:
    Ahh FFS! I give up, I really do.

• Advertisement

Torres out for a week or two minimum which means no this weekend, no champions league and at worst, if it's a tear, no chelsea or football for a month.

ALSO Fabregas broke his nose last night so could also be out for the weekend.

I have neither and so, am delighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ALSO Fabregas broke his nose last night so could also be out for the weekend.

Bollix, is Deco back?

Unknown.

If he is match fit again, it's more likely he'd be intoduced as a sub anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I still have to replace Skrtel, and I have 6.0 to do so with.

I asked this earlier and the consensus was that Agger will replace him, should that still be the case?

I asked this earlier and the consensus was that Agger will replace him, should that still be the case?

Can you find another 0.2 and pick up Laursen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can you find another 0.2 and pick up Laursen?

I could, but I already have the pair of Youngs. If I brought Laursen in I'd have to make another couple of changes because I don't like have 3 players from one team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I've done a birra swapping and ended up with this...
    1: Cech 2: Turner 3: Carragher 4: Laursen 5: Young A 6: Wright-Phillips 7: Ireland 8: Denilson 9: Defoe 10: Berbatov(C) 11: Adebayor 12: Schmeichel 13: Melchiot 14: Geovanni 15: Figueroa

Advice/outcries of idiocy?
    I have terrible luck in this game anyway!

Thinking about taking a 12 points hit an gettting

Cech

Laursen Boswinga Agger Kompany Clichy

Ronaldo Arteta Wright Phllips

Zaki Defoe.

Any thoughts?

Thinking about taking a 12 points hit an gettting

Cech

Laursen Boswinga Agger Kompany Clichy

Ronaldo Arteta Wright Phllips

Zaki Defoe.

Any thoughts?

I took a 16 point hit to do something similar (with an emphasis on midefield rather than defence) a few weeks ago (reason was I could only afford it before Deco and Carvalho dropped in value) and its worked out well for me. Clichy and your strikers could be your weak links imo although theyve done well so far. Ireland could be a good buy instead of arteta for this week

• Advertisement

doonothing wrote: »
    I've done a birra swapping and ended up with this...
    1: Cech 2: Turner 3: Carragher 4: Laursen 5: Young A 6: Wright-Phillips 7: Ireland 8: Denilson 9: Defoe 10: Berbatov(C) 11: Adebayor 12: Schmeichel 13: Melchiot 14: Geovanni 15: Figueroa

Advice/outcries of idiocy?
    I have terrible luck in this game anyway!

Drop Denilson, he mightnt be getting his game as often now that Nasri is back and Rosicky is nearing his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Rosicky is nearing his return.

Rosicky will never return.... :p

Nah no worry of Rosicky being back yet, December at the earliest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Drop Denilson, he mightnt be getting his game as often now that Nasri is back and Rosicky is nearing his return.

Fabregas is a worry for the game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Frisbee wrote: »
    Rosicky will never return.... :p

Who :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Think Ill take a points hit and bring in Rooney. He is on fire at the moment and at home to West Brom you would have to fancy him to do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I finally caved in and brought in Ronaldo. I feel unclean, it's so much to spend.
    I need to bring in Cech too but I'll leave that for next week as I've alreay taken a 4 point hit.

Almunia

Carragher, Ferdinand, Laursen, Bosingwa

SWP, Ireland, Ronaldo, Fabregas

Forwards are quite cheap but still currently on form, how long that lasts though remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Yeah it's nearly 100% certain that it will be Agger - Hyypia is the other option and is 35 and hasn't even been included in Liverpool's Champion League squad. Also Agger scored a peno for Denmark in the internationals. Get him in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id say instead of Agger go with Arbeloa, only 6 and pretty much a guaranteed starter. Agger is another good choice, but as said above, with Hyypia not even included in the champs league squad Agger HAS to play those, which means Hyypia will probably get a few runs out in the league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Think Ill take a points hit and bring in Rooney. He is on fire at the moment and at home to West Brom you would have to fancy him to do well.

Yep looks like Rooney's gonna come in for Torres in my team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Joe Harte and Gael Clichy are getting the axe this week.

VDS is definately coming in, but I'm torn between Brown and Agger. Any comments? I'm leaning more towards Brown, but Neville will probably start tomorrow knowing Fergie :rolleyes:

Is Fabregas likely to play?

Anyone heard anything on Boswinga? Heard he picked up a knock on his knee with Portugal in training.

Wanted to ditch Clichy this week, guess it will have to wait :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement