Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Refusing to put Ronaldo in..........

Same, I didnt put him in last season either, cant stand him.... :p
    Bringing in Carew wasnt a great decision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

54 pts. rooney has been my downfall!

transfered him in for adebayor last week, and made him captain.

wont be getting back to top 20 anytime soon

rooney->robinho
    fabregas->lampard

some changes before the price rises!

new team:
    cech
    evra boswinga agger figueroa
    ronaldo lampard ireland delap marney
    zaki robinho davies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes! 67 provisional points! Days like this make it all worthwhile.

I figured Ronaldo was due a big performance so made him my captain. Great performances too from Young, Cech, Agbonlahor, Delap and Bosingwa. Won my head to head comfortably as well.

I'm confused about Ashley Young though. Right now they have him down as having given an assist whereas the BBC say he scored? :confused:

Edit: I see they are updating the scores. Maybe I'll bag a few more. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm confused about Ashley Young though. Right now they have him down as having given an assist whereas the BBC say he scored? :confused:

Edit: I see they are updating the scores. Maybe I'll bag a few more. :D

That would be Luke Young,
    delighted with my 84 points

menoscemo wrote: »
    That would be Luke Young,
    delighted with my 84 points

Oh feck I forgot about that guy. Cheers.

Well done on that score as well. :eek:

Got eighty points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Got eighty points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Ditto! :D

My best ever week by some distance.

63. Happy with that. Won my head to head comfortably aswell.
    Adebayor somehow got three bonus points and RVP got none?!
    I have Ade, but I dunno how they worked that out.
    I mean Denilson did very little and got 1 bonus ahead of RVP who had a goal, 2 assists and played a stormer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Woot 87 points :) And this was with none of my three strikers starting (Carew, Keane & Rooney) - They ended up with 3 points between them.:(
    If they had done anyway decent I would have been pushing close to the magical 100 point mark

Defense of Young, Konchelsky and Wheater did massive for me

Weeks like this is why you have to have Ronaldo in the team - having him as captain when he gets scores like this are essential imo

In my Head-to-Head my opponent got 78 points - ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Crap gameweek again. Only saved by Ronaldo, A. Young, Schwarzer and Bosingwa. Far too many 1's for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Arrghhh! I'm starting to really hate this game! Just can't seem to get a break, can't make a decent captain choice to save my life and keep buying in the wrong players. If it's a choice between two I keep picking the one that either gets nothing or sits on the bench for the game while the one I didn't pick gets double figures. Plus every time I sell a player he gets a hat full in the next game.

I suppose it can only get better.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

53 points for me, a solid week. Saved by Ade finally doing something in the closing stages against spurs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Finished on 78 which was a great score, but pretty much all the leaders in my leagues had similar/better scores.

As with Xavi, too many 1-point wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

59 for me. I have a 2nd team in and it got 90, but I didn't register it until GW5 so way behind in that side of things.
    Fabreags has been my worst performer so far but I dont like to lose him as he'll come good in the next 2 weeks I'm sure of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

And people laughed at me three pages ago when I said Rooney would be rested and Ronnie would get a huge score :rolleyes:

Anyway............ For the umpteenth time this year Ade picks up the three bonus points for nothing ahead of RVP who scored and had two assists. I really don't knwo what the hell is going on this year with the bonus points. Fabe- yes running the game but that lanky african is starting to annoy me.

67, which I thought was solid until I came in this morning and I've slipped 500 places to 2,500 odd in the world and down 4 places to 11th in Boards.

I think this is the start of the schism when Ronaldo has three of four good weeks and if you don't have him- you're toast.

Still undefeated in my head to head which is a nice feeling. 10-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

madds wrote: »
    70 pts with bonuses still to be given. Ronaldo (capt), Lampard, and Luke Young all contributing. Should see me move into the top 100.

84pts after bonuses added. Easily my best week and up to 68th in the Boards league.

Quick question. Does anyone know why Defoe was left on the bench last night? He got on for the last 6 minutes. I'm not sure if his form is going to dip now that Harry has left.

madds wrote: »
    Quick question. Does anyone know why Defoe was left on the bench last night? He got on for the last 6 minutes. I'm not sure if his form is going to dip now that Harry has left.

I think this was pretty much a tactical decision by Adams.
    They played 4-5-1 and tried to pack midfield in an effort to get a draw at Anfield. Obviously the choice was then between who was going to be played up-front alone and I think Crouch's height was why he was picked.
    The other thing is that Defoe has played a lot (including European games) so probably could have done with a rest. I would expect him to be an ever-present for the next run of games. However whether his form will dip is the big question. I can see his price dropping the next while and cashed in on him last week as I can't see his value going much further up while I could see it dropping.

I can see his price dropping the next while and cashed in on him last week as I can't see his value going much further up while I could see it dropping.
    I've been thinking of getting rid of him this week, possibly bring in Robinho or Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Thanks MM. Looking at Portsmouth's run of games over the next few weeks against dare I say it "weaker" teams, I may leave him in there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Anyone think Agger is a hopless cause? Apparently Hyppia played for tactical reasons (Crouch) but they kept a clean sheet so he may retain his place.

Does anyone think that it's worth trading SWP and Dofoe for Lampard?

He's on fire but I'll be left with a very weak forward instead of defoe and Lampard in for SWP directly. Have to take a 4 point hit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

94 points!:D My 'big 3' of ronaldo, lampard and adebayor really did the business, also I got lucky with luke young scoring and bosingwa getting an assist. Gotta love adebayor, once he's on the pitch its guaranteed bonus points

SetantaL wrote: »

He's on fire but I'll be left with a very weak forward instead of defoe and Lampard in for SWP directly. Have to take a 4 point hit too.
    Over the last three weeks I sold my expensive keepers and bought a cheaper defender to free up some money for Frank and I subbed him in for Arteta. It was between SWP and Arteta but I still think SWP will come good. Defoe on the other hand i'm thinking of selling but I think it's not a bad trade if you're stuck.

Over the last three weeks I sold my expensive keepers and bought a cheaper defender to free up some money for Frank and I subbed him in for Arteta. It was between SWP and Arteta but I still think SWP will come good. Defoe on the other hand i'm thinking of selling but I think it's not a bad trade if you're stuck

Not really stuck but I can't make up my mind whether the likes of Giovanni and Lampard will outscore Defoe and SWP over a season.

Also:

I'd love to start an on-line petition to complain about the bonus point allocation. It really is a joke this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Taking the 4 point hit is almost never worth it. You have to factor in how well the players you dropped would have done. Do it only if you've a key change to make and leaving it would put it out of your price range.

Personally, I think sacrificing a dream team and almost dream team player for one, even one as good as Lampard is probably not worth it.

Re: your online petition, you're just jealous that Adebayor keeps bringing in the bacon. :)

Goooooooo Ade!

• Advertisement

How come Cech didn't get that assist for Chelsea?Why did Boswinga get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The one flipping week I do awesome it's overshadowed by the winker grabbing two goals. The amount of people who had him as captain bemuses me.:pac:

How come Cech didn't get that assist for Chelsea?Why did Boswinga get it?

Because Bosingwa was the one who passed it.....

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1713664/

I'm just outside the top twenty in the Boards league. Stuck in second in my head to head league behind the front-runner who is unbeaten.

Is anyone else a bit concerned about Zaki? Wigan are on a terrible run at the minute and I can't help but wonder if his bubble has burst...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm just outside the top twenty in the Boards league. Stuck in second in my head to head league behind the front-runner who is unbeaten.

Is anyone else a bit concerned about Zaki? Wigan are on a terrible run at the minute and I can't help but wonder if his bubble has burst...

Meh I wouldn't call two games without a goal a terrible run. It was only two weeks agao when he put a brace past Liverpool at Anfield! Patience my friend

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Anyone think Agger is a hopless cause? Apparently Hyppia played for tactical reasons (Crouch) but they kept a clean sheet so he may retain his place.

I would really be surprised if Agger wasnt back for Saturday given Sami's age. I think bringing Hyypia in for Crouch was probably because of his massive defense ability in the air and will likely be a once off tactical thing. I’m sticking with Agger given Liverpool’s upcoming run of games as I can see them picking up a lot of clean sheets. I also think he is likely to increase in value quite a bit of that happens.

I would be tempted to do this swap - I think Lampard is a case of consistent points every week whereas with SWP and Defoe there will be less consistency there. Also when considering a four point hit you need to figure whether the player who comes in will benefit you over the longer term as opposed to just thinking about the hit being applied over one week only.
    Also:

I'd love to start an on-line petition to complain about the bonus point allocation. It really is a joke this year.

Yeah sometimes it is insane - the only hope is that on occasion you manage to take advantage of the insanity - nothing sweeter than seeing somone who had an average game get the three points
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    The one flipping week I do awesome it's overshadowed by the winker grabbing two goals. The amount of people who had him as captain bemuses me.:pac:

For me having Ronaldo as captain is a no-brainer - if he does well there’s major pointage but if he doesn’t score well then that pleases me too. Last year I steadfastly refused to buy him which cost me any hope of doing well.

Currently working well for me as I'm in the top 10,000 overall and 962nd for the month of October - sadly I fear this might be a high point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

mate I've been saving up some cash so I could buy Lamps. Have sacrifised SWP this week, had to go Im afraid. Took a 4 point hit for the first time but taking the chance Im hopin Lappard can win those points back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ff.jpg?t=1225388403

Any advice? I'm so tempted to reshuffle and get a hold of Ronaldo!

Right, decisions made. Clichy out for A. Cole. Arsenal's defence this season is rubbish. Last night was the last straw.

I now have

Reina
    Bosingwa
    Carragher
    A.Cole
    Ferdinand
    Laursen

in my first team- have given up flirting with Lamps- simply cannot afford him. I'm sorry to see the five different team defenders going but I'm loading up on Chelsea and pool and would think with the soft run of games the two of them have they'll do the business. Arsenal's forecast is a nightmare.

doonothing wrote: »

I think you've got a pretty good team although I'd suggest maybe losing one of the Wigan defenders since Wigan are in the drop zone now and leaking goals. There are decent alternatives available. I personally like to have a degree of choice and my defenders all play for different clubs.

Ronaldo is perhaps hitting his stride though and it might be time to jump on the bandwagon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ff.jpg?t=1225388403

Get Ronaldo and Lampard in ASAP

ff2.jpg
    Something like that maybe? It created a few leaky holes alright, but it would pay off right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Cech, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Adebayor and Lampard in one team .. looks good! :)

I'll hafta lose 36 points :O
    Seems like a lot but I rechon it'll be made up for in a month, wouldn't it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Play your wildcard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

75 Points from last night, managed to win my head to head by 1 point to remain top of my league :)

Ronaldo looks like he might be about to hit form.

Also when considering a four point hit you need to figure whether the player who comes in will benefit you over the longer term as opposed to just thinking about the hit being applied over one week only.

If you're thinking long term then you don't need the player in that week. You can wait an extra week unless transfers are likely to put him out of your price range. A player has to effectively get around 6 points the week you transfer him in to make up for the 4 point hit.
    Something like that maybe? It created a few leaky holes alright, but it would pay off right?

If I were you I'd get rid of Cech and put the money in midfield or defence.

36 points on transfers. Holy ****. :D

Better to do nothing.

/taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Picking Ronaldo and putting him as captain might as well be considering cheating in my opinion. It completely removes a massive degree of the challenge that is present in the game. Sure you might as well remove the limit on the max number of player per club and reduce the cost of every player by 20% so you can get away with picking just first choice United, Arsenal, Chelsea and United players..

His value should have been increased to closer to 20 million so that you could only pick promoted players in every other position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Picking Ronaldo and putting him as captain might as well be considering cheating in my opinion. It completely removes a massive degree of the challenge that is present in the game. Sure you might as well remove the limit on the max number of player per club and reduce the cost of every player by 20% so you can get away with picking just first choice United, Arsenal, Chelsea and United players..

His value should have been increased to closer to 20 million so that you could only pick promoted players in every other position.

:confused:

The possible team above with Ade, Ronaldo and Lampard looks great but you're taking a hit in every other position, if they don't do it for you or you pick the wrong one as captain you're screwed.

Actually, Ronaldo has had more transfers out than in this month so I think they got the price just about right. Having said that I do think there's too much given to picking the right captain. The captain should get 1.5 x points, not 2. It would encourage a more balanced team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Anybody know where I can see how many points each player scored for their teams last season?

Thought it was on the Premier League site but can't find it.

EDIT: Found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mezcita wrote: »
    Anybody know where I can see how many points each player scored for their teams last season?

If you click on the player's history it shows the points for the last 2 seasons

• Advertisement

Mezcita wrote: »

EDIT: Found it.
    http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

Advertisement