Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

how did Quaresma play on sat? would he be a good buy at 8.0?

I thought he did quite well and was definately one of the better players. He was denied a goal by an excellent save. *IF* he plays every game, he would be worth it, but I'm not sure if we will.

Bit of a gamble just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Should I have Jagielka and Bellamy in my team or Bramble and Jo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

SWP banned for the next 3 games inc next one.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4907550,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Move onto 51 points, with my three Man City players getting me a grand total of 4 points :(

Still have three utd players to play and two Fulham players.

61 points with 5 players to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Pity the Fulham players might be scoring negative points such is the devestation about to be inflicted upon them by United!

A rather impressive win from United's 3rd string team today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

lee_arama wrote: »
    Pity the Fulham players might be scoring negative points such is the devestation about to be inflicted upon them by United!

A rather impressive win from United's 3rd string team today.

No chance. Schwarzer to make at least 35 saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tom Humphries has a good piece about the woes of playing Fantasy Football in his Lockerroom piece in the Irish Times this week.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0216/1233867938468.html
    .......Anyway the congealed white pudding jumped from the roll out onto the duvet when I noticed with a bitter start that Nicolas Anelka had scored a hat-trick in the FA Bloody Cup. This treachery represented his first competitive goals since he scored against Southend in the FA Bloody Cup last month. In fact Anelka has dutifully ceased and desisted from scoring goals in the Premier League since I signed him to be one half of my Fantasy Football League strike force, some time ago.

This non-aggression pact was taken along (as an illegal act of collusion in breach of the fair trade act) with Liverpool’s Dirk Kuyt, the shameless little Dutch tease who decided that scoring was a bad thing a week or two earlier when I signed him. How I regret throwing myself at that blond hussey, making a fool of myself like that time I thought the strippagram really liked me . . .

I have the reputation as being a trigger happy, nay, ruthless manager, when it comes to the transfer market and you might think that the insolence of Anelka and Kuyt might see them go the way of Messrs Keane, Smith (A) , Torres, Ashton, Van Persie, Pavlyuchenko, Defoe, Agbonlahor or Robinho all of whom have been shown the door this season. Each in turn seduced me with the frivolous yet throatily whispered promise that they liked to score goals for fun. To a man they let me down and hurt me.

So with Athletico Marino lying in what frankly looks like an unpromising 39,811th place in the overall Fantasy Football League I am giving up chasing every bit of transfer market tail that gets wiggled my way. If at first you don’t succeed, act like you were never that interested anyway.

The stats make depressing reading. The number of strikers bought and sold is on a par with the number of players in every other position who have come and gone in the Athletico Marino colours. This season 32 pros have been asked to move on having mysteriously hit dry patches or become injured as soon as they signed juicy contracts with me. I am the Manchester City of Fantasy Football.

It was never my intention to be so. The whole point of entering a fantasy football league is to win it without appearing remotely interested or concerned. I never meant to get involved in all this feverish buying and selling.

We have a sub-league within the office, a sort of super-league within the league itself. Athletico lie in a humiliating fifth position in that league. Just outside of Europe you say? Well no. Fifth of eight. Fifth and hopelessly out of touch with the leaders. One would say that Athletico are involved in a relegation dogfight were it not for the apparent truth that I am the only one actually doing the fighting, buying and selling like a demented, coke-addled wall street trader, moving funds around more frantically and more pointlessly than a senior Irish bank executive, checking the stats religiously week in and week out. Meanwhile all the others have forgotten that they are even in a league.

The whole point of being in an office Fantasy League is to be able to affect surprise and modest self-effacement when somebody comes along in May and tells you that you have won. “Oh that old thing,” you say “The Fantasy League yoke? You know I’d completely forgotten about it.”

Instead I have charts, computer programmes, form guides, holy books, football magazines, spread betting statistics, contributions from astrologers and mystics, inside dope from other hacks, all drip feeding my drive to be fifth. It makes a mockery of the game Bill.

So I am giving up. Next time I hear Martin O’Neill call somebody (especially Ashley Young) a genius I won’t be rushing to the computer to secure his services to replace, lets just say, Theo Where-Are-You-Now Walcott, whose little streak of form immediately had prompted another rush to the computer a few weeks earlier.

I mean I know at times I have been a fool. I can’t look anybody in the eye and explain what I saw in either Tom Huddlestone or Jamie O’Hara but was I the only one to swoon over Sylvain Distin? How was I to know that as soon as I signed him William Gallas would fall out with Arsene Wenger or that Andy Reid would celebrate making the Athletico first 11 by gaining two stone and becoming heavier than the other 10. Men like Plessis of Liverpool and Khizanishvili of god knows where? Ships in the night. Dredgers mainly. I thought we had something. I was wrong. I was a fool.

A serial fool. Hilario? Olofinjana? I know, I know. If signing them was a crime then I’m guilty. You want to know when Cristiano Ronaldo really got found out. When I signed him? At least he did the decent thing. He played on.

Steve Finnan moved to Spain right after I bought him. No note. No goodbye.

Joey O’Brien got injured. Thanks Joey.

Sometimes I have been too clever. I signed Steed Malbranque when he returned to Spurs (I’m a sucker for Spurs midfielders, I know) thinking that the return to his old stomping ground would, well, release the Steed in him. He’s brought me in a whopping THREE fantasy league points the French scoundrel. I have to say that hurts. I have suffered at the hands of men like Steed who have cost me in other relationships too. As Manchester United have gone game after game without conceding a league goal I have prudishly stayed out of the market for Man U defender. Merely because, well Oprah, I find it hard to trust anymore. I know that signing John O’Shea will be the signal for United’s run of parsimony to end with a surprise six-goal thumping. Most likely five of those six goals will be scored by Nicolas Anelka “rejuventated” after his unhappy spell at Athletico Marino.

It’s all over now. No more crazy signings. No more punts. No more fond foolishness. I am placing my ability to influence the outcome of the Premiership at the disposal of the nation.

As soon as the Fantasy Football transfer window opens again I propose to sign as many Manchester United defenders as is permissible (three). Before the floodgates open I recommend that the seven billion being flung at the banks be used instead betting on adverse scorelines for United.

Unorthodox yes, but unlike others with their greasy hands on the national tiller, I have a proven record. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Well Ronaldo as captain worked out well :( 12 miserable points in a double-game week as captain is just the pits. I wouldve got higher or equal points, if I had picked any but two of my other players.
    As if I didnt have enough reasons to dislike him already.

Still managed a quite respectable 85 points this week so booya to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

currently 75-71 down in the cup and heading out unless Ronaldo somehow gets 2 or 3 bonus points. Not a hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

KevIRL wrote: »
    currently 75-71 down in the cup and heading out unless Ronaldo somehow gets 2 or 3 bonus points. Not a hope

Are you basing that on him having a bad game? When did that stop players getting bonus points this season??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Managed to sneek through to round 8 with a 73-67 win. Anybody else still in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I ended up with 73 points for the week. Happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

75 points for myself. Disappointed with Ronaldo's return of 12 but he's only human afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

74 points and a win in my head to head moves me up to second spot in my head to head table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So sorry I didn't go with an idea I had to captain O'Shea after bringing him in. His 15 would have been a lot nicer than Ronaldo's 6 :(

Really tempted to get rid of Ronaldo, his form has been so erratic this season. However, he is second only to Lampard on points scored for a midfielder. It's a dilema...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

70- consolidation really- but i did drop outside the top ten in Boards- 11th now, seeing as I was lying 2nd for about a month it hurts.

A. Cole picked up his 5th yellow and is on a one match ban so Jagielka comes in for him- Everton have a soft run of games coming up anyway.

My head to head league is all but over - I'm 16 points clear.

I'm behind in one one mini-league and he has Berbatov as captain and it's annoying- If Ronaldo has ONE good gameweek I'd overtake him. we were neck and neck again this week. I KNOW it's going to happen the question is when.

Anyway- be warned with Tansfers this week,

United, Pompey, Tottenham and Sunderland don't play gameweek 27 so you'll need cover. I've three united players myself but I have a deep enough bench- the only thing is Fulham are playing Arsenal so Schwartzer may not be reliable in that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

menoscemo wrote: »
    Managed to sneek through to round 8 with a 73-67 win. Anybody else still in?

Yeah, I'm still there. Won 70-46 this week. Have both Ronaldo and Lampard in my team and the trigger finger is on the button. I'm thinking Arsenal might go to town on Sunderland this Saturday. I already have VP, but I'm looking at doubling up with Eduardo also. Hmmm...

Fnished on 87 for the week.Happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Vidic as captain leaves me with 89 points. Almost into the top 50 in the Boards league, and still in the Cup.

roryc wrote: »
    Vidic as captain leaves me with 89 points. Almost into the top 50 in the Boards league, and still in the Cup.

I should have captained John O Shea instead of Ronnie.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

76 with Ronaldo as captain. He keeps letting me down!

I should have captained John O Shea instead of Ronnie.:mad:
    I should have bought a house in 1998 and sold it in 2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

madds wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm still there. Won 70-46 this week. Have both Ronaldo and Lampard in my team and the trigger finger is on the button. I'm thinking Arsenal might go to town on Sunderland this Saturday. I already have VP, but I'm looking at doubling up with Eduardo also. Hmmm...

Eduardo is out injured (AGAIN!!) for two weeks - tweeked his hammy before he came off last week.

thewools wrote: »
    Eduardo is out injured (AGAIN!!) for two weeks - tweeked his hammy before he came off last week.

GAH!!! I knew it was a mistake to buy him on Monday after his comeback performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

thewools wrote: »

Thanks thewools!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Im Bust for gameweek 27..Have 6 players from the teams who won't be playin! My bench isn't the best either, Valencia Injured, Windass no longer there!

Does anyone know when Delap is back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

• Advertisement

Im Bust for gameweek 27..Have 6 players from the teams who won't be playin! My bench isn't the best either, Valencia Injured, Windass no longer there!

Suspended until March 2 according to the info tag under his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Get them out and get in fulham and Blackburn players, they both play next week and have 2 games the week after ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Not to bad 88 in the last wk and back into the top 10.

OK i'm 10th but it still counts as top 10!!!!

Is anybody else getting Ronaldo having two goals?

Nope just the one - better not as I dropped him as captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Saw that earlier, they made a mistake but seem to have corrected it now.

29 with 6 to play tomorrow-

Ronnie as captain and Lampad being the bulk.

Bosingwa will be suspended now after picking up a stupid yellow so next week

No united
    No sunderland
    No pompey
    No tottenham

No Gerrard
    No Bosingwa

Going to be Carnage!

I reckon I have ten playing so a transfer will look after me.

And ONCE AGAIN no bonus for Ronaldo, He hits the winner and gets man of the match- what the fcuk!

Carrick got one ahead of him and he was anonymous. Bonus this year are a joke.
    To get them you have to be

English!!!
    Useless!!!

39 with 5 to play.

Vidic getting on as a sub and United conceding was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Schwarzer!, what a legend:D

I had van de sar with schwarzer on the bench.

Van de sar gets rested and schwarzer keeps a cleanie and saves a peno- Legend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Had the same myself. VDS subbed out and Schwarzer comes in and saves a peno. Next week ain't gonna be fun though. Took out Berbatov and brought in Anelka but have Ronaldo and VDS too. Also Bosingwa so looks like it could be a lean week. My bench is pretty god awful too so no real help there.

55 points with Mendy to play.

Raging cause 3 of my first team (Arteta, Ronaldo and Vidic) scored 1 point each, and 2 benched defenders kept clean sheets

67. Schwarzer is an absolute legend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I had van de sar with schwarzer on the bench.

Van de sar gets rested and schwarzer keeps a cleanie and saves a peno- Legend! :D

Me too. And Figueroa is coming in as sub for another 6. So with them two to come in, I have 59 with Mendy to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

55 points with Mendy to play.

Raging cause 3 of my first team (Arteta, Ronaldo and Vidic) scored 1 point each, and 2 benched defenders kept clean sheets

Ronaldo got 6 pts..

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Ronaldo got 6 pts..

meant to write Berbatov there. I blame the rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Got 70, happy with that.Had Zamora on my bench though:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Schwarzer you little hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

when schwartzer subs in I'll be on 63- made up 30 points on the chap in one of my head to heads that was leading me. We're one point apart now.

Going to be a tough week coming up- arteta out now aswell.

Advertisement