Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Premier League Fantasy Football 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Which of these is better ?

28lckjt.jpg

17ddti.jpg

My intention would be to drop Gerrard for Fabregas once hes fit and use the 1.5 to upgrade on someone...possibly Davies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

id say the second one is better, buts thats just me fein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Surely there's a better option than Darren Bent. Yakubu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I really wanna but dos santos or nasri in my team but i just dont know how they will take to the premiership

Xavi6 wrote: »

Hes scored about 10 goals in 5 games in pre season! I think he will do well this season. With Berbatov & Keane gone he should get a lot more games.

The choice I was really having trouble with was having either Luke Young & Fabregas in the team OR Laurson & Bentley. The second is obviously stronger defensively. Hmm dunno.

• Advertisement

As I pointed out in another thread, those goals came against mainly League 1 and 2 sides. And they we friendlies. I wouldn't go basing my team on that.

Damit Xavi6 now you have me tinkering again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I think Bent will score more than Yak this year. But i have both in my team so as long as they both do ok i'll be happy..

Tusky wrote: »
    Hes scored about 10 goals in 5 games in pre season! I think he will do well this season. With Berbatov & Keane gone he should get a lot more games.

The choice I was really having trouble with was having either Luke Young & Fabregas in the team OR Laurson & Bentley. The second is obviously stronger defensively. Hmm dunno.

If Young plays regularly then him and Laursen will be equal defensively. Its in the goals that Laursen scores that builds his points up.

I don't think he'll get as many this year. some defenders have a good season now and then and score lots. Has he a history of always getting a few goals????

ibh wrote: »
    If Young plays regularly then him and Laursen will be equal defensively. Its in the goals that Laursen scores that builds his points up.

I don't think he'll get as many this year. some defenders have a good season now and then and score lots. Has he a history of always getting a few goals????

What I meant when I said stronger defensively is that Laursen will get me more points than L. Young.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    What I meant when I said stronger defensively is that Laursen will get me more points than L. Young.

oh right.. yea i still don't know if he was a one season wonder. I really only noticed him last year.

Think Villa have some decent defender to choose from. Young, Laursen & Shorey are good and the new guy from Gers looks decent enough when i've seen him.

ibh wrote: »
    oh right.. yea i still don't know if he was a one season wonder. I really only noticed him last year.

Think Villa have some decent defender to choose from. Young, Laursen & Shorey are good and the new guy from Gers looks decent enough when i've seen him.

One good thing about Young is he is their only right back so will presumably play lots of games.

might not have noticed Laursen before as he was essentially injured since he joined from Milan until last season where he actually played in every Villa Prem game. I remember a Villa player (might have been Barry) saying this about him " if you throw a rock at him, he will header it" i dont know if he will repeat his goal haul from last season but people last season liked to go on about how much of a threat Villa where from set pieces, he is one of the main reasons for this esp as the best opposing defender in the air usually takes Carew while Laursen's often is the target.

either one is a great addition though as Young is a good price and will play every game if fit as there is no alternative, although having both might be dodgy as you will then be reliant on Villa defensivley especially as you like myself have Friedel in goals.

either one is a great addition though as Young is a good price and will play every game if fit as there is no alternative, although having both might be dodgy as you will then be reliant on Villa defensivley especially as you like myself have Friedel in goals.

Fu*k I have Friedel and Laursen too....bah, i should never have come into this thread.

Villa are gonna leak goals all over the shop and Laursen's gonna get crocked again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'm pretty sure most decent teams will have one of their better defenders marked to pick up Laursen for set-pieces given how good he is in the air. Can't see him repeating his previous goal scoring exploits - I have gone with L Young - fingers crossed they mix him up with the other Young at Villa and Luke gets his points:)

On other news - what does anyone think of Modric - bit of a risk but I think he's worth a gamble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

As I pointed out in another thread, those goals came against mainly League 1 and 2 sides. And they we friendlies. I wouldn't go basing my team on that.

Well he did score two against Roma. Another couple against Celtic and Dortmund didn't he?

I have him in, until I see what way Spurs line up anyway. He got me bags of points the last season he was with Charlton.

Well he did score two against Roma. Another couple against Celtic and Dortmund didn't he?

I did say mainly, and they were all friendlies. Sure City beat AC Milan FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I dont think Villa will conced that many.THey have a strong defence and one of teh best keepers in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What are the views on Lescott, had him last season and he got me loads of points this season he was one of the first names in my squad but I just have a feeling Everton are really going to struggle and leak goals.

• Advertisement

holy Sh*t there are 12 full pages of teams in the boards.ie league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Fabregas' injury was a blessing for me as i've completely changed my team! overall there's a much better balance and no Dean Windass in the team :D i look sorted for the opening weekend and up to week 7/8 or so, also got 2 million in the bank for re-sign Fabregas when he is fit :cool:
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    What are the views on Lescott, had him last season and he got me loads of points this season he was one of the first names in my squad but I just have a feeling Everton are really going to struggle and leak goals.

thinking the same thing myself, Lescott out Laursen in, just think Villa have more going for them this season throughout the team while Everton have had little or no activity squad wise and they've always appeared to me as a side punching above their weight, 7 million is alot for a defender potentially playing for a mid table side despite his goalscoring and bonus record (re: Everton,hope Moyes proves me wrong, good manager!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Team finalised:

Reina
    Clichy---Carvalho---Rio---L.Young
    Arteta--Gerrard--Modric--Milner--A.Young
    Yak

Subs: Random Keeper, Hunt, Bent, Cheap-a$$ Striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

whats the best formation to play????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well if you go by the stats that say defenders give the best point value, then 5-4-1 or 5-3-2 is best formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Anybody have any ideas on Chelsea's midfield? God they have such a talent in the center of the field, Lampard, Obi Mikel, Essien, Ballack and now Deco too!! Im not even sure if Ballack will start so to have him and Lampard is a worrying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

There is so many midfielders for Chelsea it is hard to know if some of them will start or not so you could miss out on points.
    For my midfield I picked players that I know will start the match unless they are injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

I don't know what Ballack and Essien are going to do under Scolari, if Lampard and Deco are already there. If they play also, then Joe Cole is on the wing more and more, as in on the bench on the sidelines.

If I was Benitez, I would lump a £11m offer at Chelsea for him now.

Made a couple of changes, damn Fabregas injury :( Going to have to re-jig when he's fit again.

James

Vidic
    Distin
    Carragher

Bentley
    Ballack
    Arteta
    Young

Tevez(c)
    Bent
    Ashton

I've a few issues to sort out, so they're probably not the last changes before tomorrow.

1) I really want an Arsenal player in there.
    2) Ballack is a gamble because Chelsea have an embarrassment of midfield riches.
    3) I'm trying to decide between Arteta and Petrov. I had two City players, but between the Thaksin stuff and defeat last night I wasn't so confident.

• Advertisement

~Marky~ wrote: »
    There is so many midfielders for Chelsea it is hard to know if some of them will start or not so you could miss out on points.
    For my midfield I picked players that I know will start the match unless they are injured.

Picking Ballack is a risk alright.........but....if he plays I expect him to do well. Decisions decisions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Right,

Stupid fabregas getting injured.

Final team before it all kicks off tomorrow.

1: Reina

2: Lescott
    3: Carragher
    4: Ferdinand
    5: Laursen
    6: Clichy

7: Deco
    8: Young A
    9: Bentley

10: Van Persie (C)
    11: Bent

Should score consistently well with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Finally picked a team for tomorrow.
    Think it's very good.

Reina
    ----Campbell----Ferdinand---Johnson
    Ireland--Modric---Bullard---Essien--Young
    Adebayor(c)
    Torres

Hoping on a frustrating first day for Scolari:D

Schwarzer
    Ferdinand---Carvalho
    Shorey
    Evra
    Lampard
    Young
    Ballack
    Bent
    Van Persie
    Ashton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

James

Evra
    L Young
    Laursen
    Lescott
    Johnson

A Young
    Bentley
    Gerard (c)

Berbatov
    Keane

Subs - Schwarzer, Mendes, Mullins, Sears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hmmm, this year's been harder than the last two, I think, for picking a starting team, primarily because of bargain players like Lescott going up in price but also due to Ronaldo's high asking price (have to bear it in mind for when he does become fit) and Fabregas getting injured.

Been tinkering with my team all week and pretty settled on this now:

James
    ----Distin
    Brown
    Laursen
    Petrov-Lampard(C)-Barry--Osman--McCann
    Adebayor
    Berbatov

Schwarzer McShane Camara and Griffin on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hokay,

After much tinkering:

Friedel
    Lescott - Laursen - Ferdinand - Shorey - Clichy
    Lampard - Bentley

Diouf - Adebayor (c) - Walcott

Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Finally put in my team. Also found it much more difficult this year then others, very few bargains there, like last few years. A few will turn out to be, but theres normally i couple every year you can pick out before a ball has been kicked.

Gone for;

Reina

Sagna
    G Neville (hope he plays! will be swiftly swapped for brown if not, same price)
    Woodgate
    L.Young

Gerrard
    Bentley
    A.Young
    Krancjar

Bent
    Torres

Subs; Schwarzer, Meite, Hammann, Fagan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

finalising my team now

who do people think will be liverpool's first choice full backs? im debating whether to put skrtel or dossena in but im not sure they will definately start

alonso at 6mil? strongly tempted, especially since masch is at the olympics

finalising my team now

who do people think will be liverpool's first choice full backs? im debating whether to put skrtel or dossena in but im not sure they will definately start

Skrtel is injured. I went with Agger...predicting big things for Agger this season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Howard
    Chimbonda---Vidic
    King
    Upson----Young
    Bentley
    Ireland
    Reo Coker
    Torres (C)
    Alves

Subs: Schwarzer, Ronaldo, Mascherano, Samba

• Advertisement

D.S. wrote: »

Howard
    Chimbonda---Vidic
    King
    Upson----Young
    Bentley
    Ireland
    Reo Coker
    Torres (C)
    Alves

Subs: Schwarzer, Ronaldo, Mascherano, Samba
    why not just transfer Ronaldo later instead of having 14m sitting unused on your bench for weeks. you could have Gerrard and Arteta until October for example then get Reo-coker and Ronaldo back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

having ronaldo as a sub is nuts.

I must have changed my team 500 times since I first put it together just a few weeks ago. have a feeling it will be totally revamped again by 11am tom morning. But here it is for now:

Reina

Laursen - Ferdinand - L.Young

Malbranque - Deco - Bentley - Barry - Nasri

Adebayor - Bent

Not sure about my caption yet. Deco,Bentley or Adebayor.
    Subs: Schwarzer, Shawcross, Kitson, Meite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

My final line-up for this weekend is:

GK: Howard
    DEF: Lescott
    DEF: Laursen
    DEF: Konchesky
    MID: Bentley
    MID: Gerrard (c)
    MID: Arteta
    MID: Dempsey
    FW: Anelka
    FW: Tevez
    FW: Bent

It's all a bit of pot luck, but hopefully I won't be left kicking myself over the changes i've made in last day or two!

anyone know if S.Ireland is actually expect to start for City this season, he is the one player im considering changing, didnt see him against the danish side yesterday either is he injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

anyone know if S.Ireland is actually expect to start for City this season, he is the one player im considering changing, didnt see him against the danish side yesterday either is he injured?
    If Hughes sticks to the 4-4-2 then Petrov will be playing on the left and it's between Elano, Ireland and Etuhu for the right midfield spot. Elano is the best of that lot so we probably won't see Ireland yet unless he changes to 4-5-1.

finalising my team now

Arbeloa & Dossena will be first choice. Degen is injured and Finnan hasnt played in pre-season. Aurelio is just coming back from an injury also.

Holy crap.

I think I just found a bug on the game.

I had FF open in two windows; I was making changes to both the main Boards league and the SSF league. I went to make a change in my SSF league, but something very weird happen because the window closed and somehow, I ended up with 4.0 extra in the bank account of the main Boards league.

I'm so, so tempted to take advantage of this. But I don't want to be kicked out of the league I'm honest so not sure what to do :o

Crazy!

Edit: I hit 'complete transfers' to see what would happen, and it amalgamated my teams. Complete WTF moment. I just logged out and now everything's back to normal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

what ^^^^^^^^^

Anyways
    heres my team please be as judge mental as u want i started off really concentrating and delibretatating on what my first 11 would be.

After that 10 seconds had passed i picked this

1: Reina

2: Ferdinand - 3: Shorey - 4: Young L - 5: Johnson

6: Lampard - 7: Gerrard - 8: Gamst Pedersen - 9: Reo-Coker

10: Torres - 11: Martins
    (C)

12: Jones
    Goalkeeper
    13: Wilson
    Defender
    14: Boateng
    Midfielder
    15: Windass
    Forward

Well whadda u think? Its gonna win isn't it? :)

eirebhoy wrote: »
    If Hughes sticks to the 4-4-2 then Petrov will be playing on the left and it's between Elano, Ireland and Etuhu for the right midfield spot. Elano is the best of that lot so we probably won't see Ireland yet unless he changes to 4-5-1.

Ireland is gone and I think ive finished altering my line-up this time

...........................Reina

L.Young....G.Johnson....M.Laursen...P.Evra

.......D.Bentley....S.Gerrard...A.Young

.........A.Alves.....F.Torres...V.Bojinov

(Subs: Turnbull, Melchiot, De Ridder, S.Parker)

dropped: Friedel, Ireland, Scharner & Kranjcar
    In: Reina, Bentley, L.Young & De Ridder

my sub-goalie is going to be Boro's no.1 cos both Boro Gk's are only 4m so if Turnbull doesent start their first game ill just transfer in Jones... not that i expect Reina to not play a single Prem game.

How do I leave a league ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement