Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failing to stop for gardai

• 04-07-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I was reading the thread about the boyfriend that was disqualified and was still driving and I discovered something very startling. For certain traffic offences you have to go before a court. i.e dangerous driving. However for failing to stop for police you dont have to go to court and will only receive 2 penalty points or 5 if you dont pay up or contest it and lose in court.

What could the consquences be for failing to stop for the police. I suppose it would be difficult to outrun or lose the police without getting extra charges. There is one problem where a Garda on traffic duty who is foot. Many motorists might risk failing to stop rather than face a more serious charge.

http://viavico.com/Driving%20Offences.htmtion,

The above is just an example but there is one area or aspect where this could be a crucial advantage to certain motorists. Anyone guess how and who* ?

* Terrorist cells and criminals and even disqualified and drunk drivers are not what I am hinting at.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

L drivers I take it?

I'd say a cop would easily try to add on a dangerous driving charge, but cops on foot rarely stop cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

L drivers I take it?

I'd say a cop would easily try to add on a dangerous driving charge, but cops on foot rarely stop cars

Nope, close but no cigar.

Keep guessing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Trixie Danielle

What do you (lone woman) do in the case where you are being chased / harrased on a country road by an eratic driver, pull in at the nearest safe place with the eratic car driver pass you speeding to have a Gardai in a car pull up along side you and ask "are you aware you were speeding"?? and receive a charge with penalty points in the post 2 weeks later?? What do you do if when trying to explain your delema to the gardai but you were not listened to...? and can you appeal charge? Why dont Gardai take into consideration 43 year old (pretty) women who have never had any driving offence incured arnt lying?? Surly if you have a record of being a safe driver in other Gardai stations this should be taken into consideration.
    This happened a friend of mine and because of the points she received she has had to leave her job. In her field she can not take up another such post for 3 years until the points are wiped from her license. Does she go onto social welfare until points are cleared? Will social welfare take this into consideration.... It beggers belief....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

43 year old (pretty)

I am shocked she did not receive exemptions for being pretty, it's all there in the Road Traffic Acts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

What do you (lone woman) do in the case where you are being chased / harrased on a country road by an eratic driver, pull in at the nearest safe place with the eratic car driver pass you speeding to have a Gardai in a car pull up along side you and ask "are you aware you were speeding"?? and receive a charge with penalty points in the post 2 weeks later?? What do you do if when trying to explain your delema to the gardai but you were not listened to...? and can you appeal charge? Why dont Gardai take into consideration 43 year old (pretty) women who have never had any driving offence incured arnt lying?? Surly if you have a record of being a safe driver in other Gardai stations this should be taken into consideration.
    This happened a friend of mine and because of the points she received she has had to leave her job. In her field she can not take up another such post for 3 years until the points are wiped from her license. Does she go onto social welfare until points are cleared? Will social welfare take this into consideration.... It beggers belief....
    If her job depended on it she should have kept within the speed limits. I agree that the worst thing on a country road is an erratic tailgater but don't play their game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

They have you over a barral. Garda can get away with murder.

I have been chased myself by a tailgater while on the bike. I though it was a loony boy racer looking to take on a big bike. I disappeared with a burst of acceleration. Seen the blue lights but made the decision to get away. I lost them. 2 years ago.

thank god.

them unmarked garda drivers have no reason to drive 2 inches from your rear wheel other than to provoke a reaction.

For the record, she was already applying the speed limit but he was flashing & beeping at her. He kept half driving up her outside, but wouldnt overtake?? and with all due respect, there is nothing as frightening for anyone besides a woman to come across this. She entered a lower speed limit but couldnt slow down as he was tailgating her. She tried but he wouldnt allow her. If she had reduced her speed he would have hit her and then what. My original question was................ can she appeal it??
    The Gardai car was seconds inside the new speed limit.
    I already got a smart reply so please, no more. She is pretty and it shouldnt make any difference but he thought it should. He was laughing at her when she gestured to him to slow down... you know the hand signal in your rules of the road book??? :)

For the record, she was already applying the speed limit but he was flashing & beeping at her. He kept half driving up her outside, but wouldnt overtake?? and with all due respect, there is nothing as frightening for anyone besides a woman to come across this. She entered a lower speed limit but couldnt slow down as he was tailgating her. She tried but he wouldnt allow her. If she had reduced her speed he would have hit her and then what. My original question was................ can she appeal it??
    The Gardai car was seconds inside the new speed limit.
    I already got a smart reply so please, no more. She is pretty and it shouldnt make any difference but he thought it should. He was laughing at her when she gestured to him to slow down... you know the hand signal in your rules of the road book??? :)

Is she is pretty; then it will make a difference. Statistically good looking people do better in Job interviews and also even get more Lienient sentences.

I think your winding us up Trixie Danielle with the hand gestures .. you know the hand signal. There is no such hand signal. There is a hand signal to show other drivers you are slowing down and requires you put your hand outside the window. A pretty bird doing hand gestures indeed indeed.

Anyway I wonder about your story, The garda cars have traffic videos that record vehicles they are in pursuing for traffic offences. You friend could have requested this as evidence or as proof. If they dont have this video then your friend should have appealed and she would most probably have won.

I would say it is hard in some respects for a Garda to suggest that a person failed to stop at a particular time ( when we are talking tens of seconds)
    and when the person did stop at an appropiate place and the matter was a minor offence. It sounds very unlikely. You can choose your place to stop so as to ensure it is appropiate. You dont stop in the middle of the road or within 15 meters of a junction or on a roundabout, So I can't understand how they prosecuted her. Maybe he was gay.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    They have you over a barral. Garda can get away with murder.

I have been chased myself by a tailgater while on the bike. I though it was a loony boy racer looking to take on a big bike. I disappeared with a burst of acceleration. Seen the blue lights but made the decision to get away. I lost them. 2 years ago.

thank god.

them unmarked garda drivers have no reason to drive 2 inches from your rear wheel other than to provoke a reaction.

And you got away. Exactly my point. Spot on.

If a Garda pursues a car they will certainly catch them each and every time. However Motorbikes are a different story. Bikes can lose a car in seconds. While this law has no advantage to motorists, it could be useful for motorcyclists. Dissappearing into traffic.. ahh so easily done. All you get in the post is 2 penalty points which you probably would have got anyway.

This law is made to be broken. Advanced driving and evasive maneuvers could be learned which would make a driver very difficult to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She entered a lower speed limit but couldnt slow down
    pull in at the nearest safe place
    Couldn't slow down, but still able to pull in and stop? Sorry, but you're contradicting yourself there.
    Why dont Gardai take into consideration 43 year old (pretty) women who have never had any driving offence incured arnt lying??
    Wait, hold on one moment... she should be let go cos she's pretty?:eek: You make it out as if she would usually be let go for being pretty...:eek:

=-=

OP, I agree that 2 points is bad, 'cos if you're drunk, and don't sop for the Grardai, I doubt you're going to stop at a stop sign.

• Advertisement

I dont drive myself so I wouldnt know what the hand gesture is, I was relying on other drivers to know or understand. I know someone out there can see sense in this. She pulled into someones driveway because he had backed off on seeing the Gardai car. His fun was over or as Irish men say "spent"?? The Gardai car was parked facing them. Personally I feel the driver was a local and probably knew the roads better so on spotting the Gardai car slow considerably but isnt that typical. The crazy Irish man was hidden by her car anyway and couldnt have been clocked. She would have pulled into the gate area anyway with or without seeing the Gardai car as there was a lawn area infront of the house too. My question is after the last camera remark, if she wasnt shown anything to confirm her speed can they do this to any unsuspecting person. As for pretty, she not as gorgeous as me coz I'm a kiwi. I've seem Irish women and as for one, she is pretty. I'm off back home tomorrow so I'll bid you all farewell. Thanks for the serious answers those who wrote. T.D.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Rhonda9000 wrote: »
    I am shocked she did not receive exemptions for being pretty, it's all there in the Road Traffic Acts. :rolleyes:
    Is it not the Big Diddies (Gets you away with anything) Act 2008?

Its times like this I'm glad its all over & I'm going home to good N.Z. lamb, fresh air, & a good oul Haka - Maori dance........!!!
    Real man V Pac man??? You need some meat in your diet lovie & whats with your pill poppin??

Take care now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What do you (lone woman) do in the case where you are being chased / harrased on a country road by an eratic driver
    You dial 999 or 112.

Or stop the car and do the Haka :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wow, this is a first. I thought humour was frowned upon in LD...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nah, we just don't like it going over the heads of the incumbents. :D

Best answer yet Victor.......... so what do you do when there is no coverage and you "never use your phone while driving" oh but you can if you "PULL IN" Jes Louise are there any straight answers out there ......... I can now see wht they're not pretty........ whats there to make an effort for

:eek:

G Rhonda maybe you should show us all how the haka is really done!
    I couldnt imagine being that manly. You sound hilarious. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheerio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

G Rhonda maybe you should show us all how the haka is really done!
    I couldnt imagine being that manly. You sound hilarious. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Right, **** off and get over yourself. Your story isn't interesting and some of us want to read the actual thread in question. *rollseyes, rollseyes, rollseyes, flips you off*

Probably but its not as obvious. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

pirelli wrote: »
    I suppose it would be difficult to outrun or lose the police without getting extra charges.

Depending what car your driving and the roads your on i'm sure you could outrun a Mondeo;)

Thank god someone normal for a change. She wasnt running from the Gardai. She was being tail gated / chased whatever if you will. He backed off when he saw the Gardai car allowing her sufficient time to pull into the first clear area she saw thich was someones gatel. I feel sorry for her coz she thought she could tell the Gardai her problem but he wouldnt listen & shes having a hard time with anxiety. She doesnt care about herself. She keps saying "what if there had been kids playing around the area" What was it all for... Thanks for the serious answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

pirelli wrote: »
    And you got away. Exactly my point. Spot on.

If a Garda pursues a car they will certainly catch them each and every time. However Motorbikes are a different story. Bikes can lose a car in seconds. While this law has no advantage to motorists, it could be useful for motorcyclists. Dissappearing into traffic.. ahh so easily done. All you get in the post is 2 penalty points which you probably would have got anyway.

This law is made to be broken. Advanced driving and evasive maneuvers could be learned which would make a driver very difficult to stop.

If you can't escape a 1.8L Mondeo, then it's time to get a new car.:D

Here, for example, are 2 videos of an Evo VIII escaping quite easily.....
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Dfq2FAZWoA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pKQZNsKL6B4&feature=related

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

This thread is going off the rails.

Passive banned for a week for personal abuse. KillBot 9000 dispatched.

Trixie Danielle, you're skating close to it - quit baiting people please and stay on topic.

Edit: Trixie Danielle infracted.

Ok, back on topic.

If someone fails to stop for police and it escalates into a chase, then they are likely to be charged with dangerous driving/speeding etc as well.

Judging from the number of police chases on TV, invariably the car is stolen, so the driver is also charged with no insurance, taking a vehicle etc. and sometimes the driver is even underage. Therefore, all these charges are likely to result in a very lengthy ban from driving.

Actually, I can't envisage any situation where a driver would merely get 2 points for failing to stop, without other charges also being brought. Therefore, this offence is probably intended to supplement other charges, even though the offence of failing to stop itself is quite serious.

The first three minutes only : a motorcycle chase in Italy. A villain tried to fool police by riding through traffic after a robbery to sign on at the police station, but they didn't count on Maurizio Merli. The blonde haired fella in the turtle neck and his Alpha Romeo.

Pirelli, I often wondered if you were just a regular wind-up merchant taking the piss. Now I know for sure.

And before you gear up for sticking the knife in / getting knickers in a twist for my daring to say anything, please explain the 'legal discussion' relevance of an old Italian movie.

• Advertisement

Rhonda9000 wrote: »
    Pirelli, I often wondered if you were just a regular wind-up merchant taking the piss. Now I know for sure.

Rhoda9000, I have always known you were a wind-up merchant, but prey tell, what changed you opinion of me. :(

In response to your edit. The old italian movie does show a motorcycle failing to stop for police, it's related to the thread, I tell you what Rhonda9000, I will change it.

I can see that the video does indeed illustrate a motorcycle chase etc. but I wasnt having any trouble imagining in my minds eye the concept of failure to stop. I imagine (!) nobody else was either.

Again, the legal discussion point of posting such a thing here is lost on me. I very much doubt filming dramatic cinematic stunts in either Ireland or Italy leads to road traffic offences / convictions such as failure to stop in any event.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Would you both please quit it.

No, the youtube vid had nothing to do with the topic at hand but neither did the subsequent back-seat modding ones either.

Humour isn't banned here, at least not by me. The odd irrelevant or humourous post is not the end of the world. A number of such posts can mean the end of a thread however, so any more tit-for-tat crap and its Killbot 9000 time.

Can I remind people who object to a particular post, that the Report Post function report.gif is there for a reason.

Please.

Ok, back on topic.

If someone fails to stop for police and it escalates into a chase, then they are likely to be charged with dangerous driving/speeding etc as well.

Judging from the number of police chases on TV, invariably the car is stolen, so the driver is also charged with no insurance, taking a vehicle etc. and sometimes the driver is even underage. Therefore, all these charges are likely to result in a very lengthy ban from driving.

Actually, I can't envisage any situation where a driver would merely get 2 points for failing to stop, without other charges also being brought. Therefore, this offence is probably intended to supplement other charges, even though the offence of failing to stop itself is quite serious.

I am not going to continue asking for help or suggestions for one of your own as I am now out of the country heading home and frankly & sadly I havnt received one informative reply. For the record, she wasnt chased by your Gardai. She met him on the road parked. He, the Garda was parked. He turned & drove up to her car. Her car was stopped infront of someones gates. She thought he was going to be of some assistance but wasnt. He wouldnt listen to her & didnt take her serious as she was in shock & could hardly speak. To me, I'd die if I came across someone like that but it didnt phase him??
    She works for your public service and has to deal with a lot of abuse on your roads at accidents as well as in her work place, day or night so yes Rhonda being pretty is a huge disadvantage to her especially with drunk men but she does it coz shes a nice woman. She has one of the most horrible jobs & I couldnt do it. She is also a hospice health carer.
    As for the Gardai, He was probably a speed trap but I genuinely thought this was a site that you could ask a simple question without being slagged off or abused.
    I have to say it wasnt pleasent, especially the hidden items you sent to the email I was using... and I'm saddened coz it seemed like a place you can have a reasonable query / conversation with anyone. I spent several months traveling around Ireland and this has left a sour bitter taste for a reminder. I was lead to believe you were a kind nation with a compassionate heart especially for your own or extended family etc., I'd hate to be in a crises and need help there. Shes Irish & I thought before leaving I could give her some sound advise.

As for you Max, chill man. Relax, You'll blow a gasget or something. If you could have this account cancelled that would be great. Thanks for reading at least. T.D.

Dear Trixie Danielle,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Being Naughty
    Trixie Danielle,

Please stop de-railing threads and baiting users. You have already caused someone to lose their cool & get banned and others to report your posts. Since you're new here, I'm going to leave this as an infraction.

You need to read the various Forum Charters and familiarise yourself with the type of conduct deemed acceptable or not, as the case may be.

Max

To those I apparently offended.... :o

I dont remembering starting the slagging but obviously I did.

You need to read over what was said Max. I was offended but made no complaint. Better person standing I believe anyway, thanks again.

I think I've had enough of your self-righteous crap. We won't be seeing any more of it on this forum ayway.

kkthxbye.

• Advertisement

I am not going to continue asking for help or suggestions for one............

So, your friend was speeding because there was someone tailgating behind her. What exactly does this have to do with failure to stop for Gardai?

Your friend was speeding and she got a ticket- end of story; life goes on. If she's not able to drive because of the driver behind her, then maybe she shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

Advertisement