Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Curtis memorial stone stolen

Options
  • 04-07-2008 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7486280.stm
    Ian Curtis memorial stone stolen

_44799633_iancurtis226.jpgIan Curtis's fame lives on years after his death

The memorial stone dedicated to former Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis has been stolen from a Cheshire cemetery.
    Curtis was 23 when he hanged himself in the kitchen of his Macclesfield home in May 1980, shortly before the band were due to go on tour in the US.
    Cheshire Police said the memorial stone was taken from where he is buried in Macclesfield Cemetery.
    Officers are appealing for anyone with information on its whereabouts to contact them.
    Detectives said the kerbstone, which has the inscription "Ian Curtis 18 - 5 - 80" and the words "Love Will Tear Us Apart" was taken sometime between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning.
    "Unusual theft"
    A police spokesman said: "There is no CCTV in the area and there are no apparent leads as to who is responsible for the theft.
    "This is a very unusual theft and I am confident that someone locally will have knowledge about who is responsible or where the memorial stone is at present."

o.gif start_quote_rb.gifWe are agog that someone's gone to the trouble of taking it out. We are stunnedend_quote_rb.gif

Tony Barker, Macclesfield Borough Council

Tony Barker, spokesman for Macclesfield Borough Council, which runs the site, said: "It would usually have flowers behind it and mementoes to Ian Curtis's life.
    "It wasn't concreted in but tarmacked up to it.
    "This has never happened before and we are agog that someone's gone to the trouble of taking it out. We are stunned."
    Bill North, the council's services manager, added: "I'm shocked this has happened.
    "Someone's gone to a great deal of trouble to remove the memorial stone and I hope our appeal will help return it as soon as possible."
    Although the band reformed as New Order after Curtis's death in 1980, there has been an upsurge of interest in its work.
    An acclaimed biopic about Curtis, called Control, was released in 2007 and a film documentary, called Joy Division, was released earlier this year.

What the hell??
    Some people are ****ing twisted. I wonder where it will show up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Fùcking hell!! If Rob Gretton was alive all hell would break loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Maybe it wasn't done out of malice though, maybe it was done by an obsessive fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The_Edge wrote: »
    I wonder where it will show up.
    Probably ebay.

Yeah, I'll ring Peter Hook asking how much I'd get for it and see if I'll make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Dudess wrote: »
    Maybe it wasn't done out of malice though, maybe it was done by an obsessive fan.

like you? :p i kid i kid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Bastards robbed me stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Now they'll have to ring the masonry company and put in a New Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

ZakAttak wrote: »

I'll admit i laughed a little at that

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Bastards robbed me stone
    LOL!!!!!!
    Awwwww Puuuuunnnnnn!!!!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I couldn't help it.

• Advertisement

I couldn't help it.
    High-five lad!!! You did me proud! ;)

Advertisement