Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Indicating Traffic Queues

Options
  • 04-07-2008 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Is throwing on the hazzard lights the accepted way to indicate to the car behind that you are approaching the back end of a traffic queue which may require the car behind to fully stop ?

I do it all the time and I'm just wondering if this is good driving practice. Seen some very near misses of cars ploughing into the back of others on the SSR in Cork at rush time in queues for the tunnel.

(PS: Sorry about the spelling mistake in the header)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Personally, I couldn't care less if it is accepted or not ...if I have to bring my car to a sudden stop or have to perform a very hefty braking maneuvre and I know that there is fast traffic following from behind, I'd like my car to be as visible as possible. If there's time to do so, I'll always stick the hazards on.

(EDIT PS: what spelling mistake : ...fixed)

(PPS: you can edit the thread title yourself under advanced options)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

buy a citroen! my car does it automatically(if you really slam on). but in general it winds me up..... thats why you have 2/3 big bright red lights on the back of your car, so people behind know you are braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

you're not just slowing down though, you're stopping, effectively.
    It's very common on the south ring in Cork, with traffic slowing from 100+ to 0.
    I always throw the hazards on while I'm at the back of the queue. it's a little thing but it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I've heard this is good practice if you have to come to a sudden stop on a motorway/dual carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I'd be wary of putting on the hazards. People might think you've broken down or just pulled in for a packet of fags and try and overtake you.

If I'm last in a traffic queue, I keep my foot on the brake pedal (to keep the brake lights lit...) until another car has stopped behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

To be fair, if you've enough time to stick out your hand and activate the emergency lights while braking, you're not braking very hard, and nobody should hit you from behind.

Pity life's not like that eh?

What idiot would "pull in for a packet of fags" in the middle of the driving lane of a 100 km/h or higher road? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Yep I always do it as well if i'm coming up to a place I have to stop from a place i'm doing 100kms. Better to be safe then sorry (with a car up your backside).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's a regular occurrence on the M50, 120kph to zero takes a fair bit of distance and both lanes are fully stopped so there's no room to run on. If you're sitting at the back of the queue and see a car/van/truck hurtling up in the distance behind, it's difficult not to reach for the switch!

This is why it is a good idea to be as visible as possible, doesn't always help though:

(turn off the sound ..it's German :D)

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    What idiot would "pull in for a packet of fags" in the middle of the driving lane of a 100 km/h or higher road? :D
    This is Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would do it (and did today) if the sudden stop is entirely unexpected - such as coming across a LandCruiser stranded just after a corner on an L-road like today...

In queuing traffic, I do what cyclopath2001 does (argh, I'm agreeing with him - nurse! more medication!). I've been hit from behind recently enough and all so getting more conscious of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I was in a hired Golf a few years ago, it turns the hazards on automatically after a hard braking. maybe it's a german thing (citroen being german now according to the ad...)
    So I'd say yes and keep the brakelights lit;
    and the wheels straight so if you are shunted you don't go across the path into oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I'm last in a traffic queue, I keep my foot on the brake pedal (to keep the brake lights lit...) until another car has stopped behind me.
    In a queue, shouldn't you have the brake on until you are reasy to pull off? Otherwise if someone hits you from behind, you have an unrestricted domino effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I'd be wary of putting on the hazards. People might think you've broken down or just pulled in for a packet of fags and try and overtake you.

^ Pull in for a packet of fags... for the love of god , Stick to your bicycle.:rolleyes: . Its a Hazard hence the name 'Hazard lights' a driver will react quicker when they see this.

I do it as well. Avoided a rear collison from someone (Confirmed by screeching brakes!)...

Its a Hazard hence the name 'Hazard lights' a driver will react quicker when they see this.
    You mean like when you overtake someone and then stick on your hazards?

You mean like when you overtake someone and then stick on your hazards?

:rolleyes: Just manners in that instance that or maybe they decided to pullout the box of fags when they overtook you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If I've time and know there's a car closing behind, I'll do it.

It's common sense really, if it lessens your chance of being rear-ended then do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

As eringobragh said, they're hazard lights, so you put them on to warn following drivers of a hazard, whether that's you changing a wheel on the hard shoulder or a stationary queue on the main carriageway.

I drive Waterford-KK and back at rush hour every day, very busy, twisty, narrow road with loads of private entrances. Things regularly come to a halt and the hazards are a must.

This from the UK:
    4. In accordance with Regulation 47(3) of the Road Traffic (Traffic
    Control) Regulations (Cap. 374 sub. leg.), no person shall show a hazard
    warning light on a vehicle on a road unless such vehicle is stationary and
    likely to be a hazard to other persons using the road.
    - 2 -
    5. However, it is a common practice nowadays for drivers to switch
    on the hazard warning lights while their vehicles are in motion, e.g. parking or
    making sudden deceleration because of congestion ahead. While the use of
    hazard warning lights under such circumstances should be encouraged as a
    safety practice, this practice in fact contravenes Regulation 47(3), and could be
    prosecuted by the Police.

The document notes that Singapore and Australia are not as prescriptve as the UK. I guess the situation is the same here in Ireland. My own preference is to rely on my brake lights & keep the hazards for exceptional situations. Generally, I'll tap the brake lights on a bit while slowing down, giving longer and longer taps gradually depending on circumstances.

• Advertisement

This from the UK:

The document notes that Singapore and Australia are not as prescriptve as the UK. I guess the situation is the same here in Ireland. My own preference is to rely on my brake lights & keep the hazards for exceptional situations. Generally, I'll tap the brake lights on a bit while slowing down, giving longer and longer taps gradually depending on circumstances.

lol were not in the UK for a start :pac:

Extract from the book 'Road Craft' The Police Drivers handbook

aka (How to be a good driver!!)

Using Hazard Lights

Consider using hazard lights to alert
    other drivers to your presence when you have stopped.
    Don't use hazard lights when moving on unrestricted multi-lane carraigeways an
    d motorways. Here you can use hazard lights to briefly warn the vehicles
    behind you that there is a hold-up ahead.

Cyclopath - All your obssessing with speeding and you fail to recognise the simplest of safety precautions. ..:eek: The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    In a queue, shouldn't you have the brake on until you are reasy to pull off? Otherwise if someone hits you from behind, you have an unrestricted domino effect.

Handbrake - if you've got the footbrakes on you'll be blinding drivers behind you during lighting up times. Handbrake doesn't put the lights on on my car at least...

However at the back of the queue, you don't have a driver behind you (yet).

Consider using hazard lights to alert....
    Cyclopath - All your obssessing with speeding and you fail to recognise the simplest of safety precautions. ..:eek: The mind boggles
    I have not mentioned speeding in this thread and I would always consider when it is appropriate to use hazards. OK?

Enjoy 'Top Gear'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lol were not in the UK for a start :pac:

Extract from the book 'Road Craft' The Police Drivers handbook

aka (How to be a good driver!!)

Isn't that a book for UK drivers?

Stark wrote: »
    Isn't that a book for UK drivers?

UK Police drivers.

Alot of the IAM course is based on it AFAIK

It features alot of GOOD driving practices like the one mentioned on this thread

I have not mentioned speeding in this thread and I would always consider when it is appropriate to use hazards. OK?

lol refering to most of your other replies.
    I

Enjoy 'Top Gear'.

I will is it a 32 speed or whats top gear or you bike

What does it say on use of brake lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As is too often the case here lately, a simple question on what is a fairly common sense thing descends into a petty bitching session between one holier-than-thou poster and the rest of us :rolleyes:

Me, I always use the hazards in a situation like the OP describes, eg: the end of the Blanchardstown bypass is almost always backed up after 5pm and damn right I'll use the hazards to indicate this when there's cars behind me doing 100+. Brake lights are nowhere near as good - especially when there's muppets out there with rear fog lights on in clear weather.

But just for fun:
    My own preference is to rely on my brake lights & keep the hazards for exceptional situations
    Er.. what exactly do you consider to be an "exceptional situation" if not one where traffic flowing at 100 km/h suddenly (in the space of a few hundred yards) drops to a standstill??

Sometimes I think (based on other posts of yours) you come up with stuff like this just to troll.

What does it say on use of brake lights?

'RoadCraft' - extract

Using brakelights

Brakelights are used to indicate either slowing down or your intention to stop. Always check your mirrors before using your brakes unless you are doing an emergency stop
      Start braking well in advance of an anticipated hazard to alert the driver behind that you mean to slow down or stop, especially if the vehicle behind is too close.
    Avoid 'dabbing' the brakes: if the brakelights flash
    on and off but you don't slow down, you will confuse drivers behind you.

Remember that rear foglights are brighter than brakelights and may mask them when you are slowing down.

Generally, I'll tap the brake lights on a bit while slowing down, giving longer and longer taps gradually depending on circumstances.

You appear to lack the prerequisites for being an 'advanced driver'

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Sometimes I think (based on other posts of yours) you come up with stuff like this just to troll.

X2 ...I can only hope that's true, otherwise some of us may have to encounter cyclopath doing Michael Flatley on his brake pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

SteveC wrote: »
    If I've time and know there's a car closing behind, I'll do it.

It's common sense really, if it lessens your chance of being rear-ended then do it.

big X2^

in the last year or so i have nearly been rear ended twice. in one of these cases it was the guys wife that alerted him that he was about to have a crash and he only barely stopped in time too. idiot was looking out his side window instead of watching where he was going :rolleyes:.

and again a few weeks ago i had to brake suddenly for another reason (cant remember) and this young L driver in a yellow (ugh) Punto nearly hit me in a similar fashion :mad:.

i hadnt the hazards on either time but considering the plonkers were looking the wrong way i doubt they'd have noticed.

i will do this in future though as it is a hazard youre indicating and if it increases the chance of avoiding an accident.

i cant imagine any garda would pull you over for doing something that helps road safety either. that would make no sense :rolleyes:.

as far as tapping the brake pedal goes, the hazards flash by themselves so why not use them for their intended purpose :confused:?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement