Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox 360 to Sony DAV-DZ230

• 04-07-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone help me here.i got and Xbox 360 HD DVD Player
    can anyone tell me how i can hook it up to my Sony DAV-DZ230 Home Theatre system.i want to play it through my surround sound?
    do i need a cable?

thanks in adavnce

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...en_GB&pageType

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think the sounds is played through the xbox so you need a optical link from the xbox into your reciever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭finno

i am using my xbox 360 i just taught i could hook my surround sound to my xbox 360 in some way??

is there a cable i can get to hook up my dvd player to my xbox so the surround sound will work when i play my Xbox 360 hd player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I had a look at those in DID the other day - I don't think it has an optical in - ie it's only good for playing DVDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, my little bro got one of these a while back for his 360, but turned out he couldn't connect it so he brought it back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

yeah doesn't like the receiver will be any use to you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

The Sony can accept audio signals in through its SCART connection. So either:

a) Hook a SCART from SCART1 on your telly to the connection on the SONY.

or

b) Use a phono-to-SCART adaptor like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/GOLD-SCART-to-3-RCA-Phono-SVHS-TV-Adapter-Converter_W0QQitemZ350076277152QQihZ022QQcategoryZ15067QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and hook the stereo (red and blue) audio cables from the XBOX to the adaptor.

Unfortunately this will only provide Doly Pro-Logic II, but I can personally tell you that is still a huge improvement over old-school sound from the telly. Pro-Logic II can provide a 5.1 upmix, close to full on Dolby Digital 5.1, not quite as sharp and clear but still good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I just got the Sony DAV-DZ260 this weekend as an extra on a Soundstore deal buying a Bravia. This version does have an optical in on it.

I need to buy an optical wire for it though, but I'll post back when i get it running and let you know how it turns out. I doubt you'll have to spend too much to upgrade to that one from the current version 230 that you have.
    (Note, my setup will be running using the 360 VGA cable as picture input and then the optical as sound)

Also so far, with DVD's anyway, I'm well impressed with the quality of sound on the Sony Theatre Centre.

thanks chavezychavez please let me know how you get on

finno wrote: »
    thanks chavezychavez please let me know how you get on

Sorry for the delay in getting back, but I only got the optical cable yesterday.
    Guess what..........RESULT.

I'm using the component cable that came with the 360 to send 1080p picture to the TV and then just plugged the optical from the component cable straight to the DZ260.

The sound is incredible, PES 2008 crowds are all around you, COD4 is frightening when grenades go Dink Dink to the any side of you. You can actually react in the correct direction now.

Recommend the DZ260 with optical from 360 completely. Decision is up to you mate, but you will not be disappointed with this. Gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

So, if I'm using a 360 with a HDMI cable for the telly can I still use the DAV-DZ260 for sound? It was on sale in DID a couple of weeks ago - I _think_ it was about €150.

• Advertisement

My 360 is a premium but for some reason, it appears that MS have positioned the HDMI cable input so close to the A/V cable input that is not possible to use both at the same time.
    You can do either 1 of 2 things
    a) Buy the official MS HDMI and Optical cable
    b) Go to this website http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50 and do what this lad did. Might be messy but does the trick.

I don't think that this is an issue with the Elite as the HDMI is apparently situated away from the cable input.

TBH, I've been running off HDMI until I got the optical, when I changed over to component to get the sound as well. No noticable difference really in picture between HDMI and Component. Sound is amazing through the optical though

Thanks chavezychavez

i know this sounds stupid but what is the optical?
    and did you have to buy an extra cable to get this working?

Nope not a stupid question at all.

The optical (digital optical cable) was the extra cable I had to buy to connect the digital sound from the 360 to the DZ260.

Its also known as a TOSLINK cable. I got a 1.5 meter length one in Harvey Normans last weekend for €15.

Pop one end into the optical output (black hole as shown in pic below) and the opther to the optical input on the DZ260.

Picture026Custom_01.jpg

Wiki it for more details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

You're looking for one with a JIS F05 TOSLINK connector, not the round connectors.

thanks

i will give this a go have to pick up that cable.

thanks again for your help on this

Just a quick point of note, was just going through this thread again, and there is a statement that the model you have DAV-DZ230 doesn't have an optical in.

Make sure you check and confirm that your system does have an optical in before purchasing the cable for no reason.

Other than that, try and carry it back and upgrade to the DAV-DZ260 which does have the optical in.

i will check it out when i get home from work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Hey guys i have this system aswell except i have the satelitte, wii and obviously dvd running through it. Pain having alot of remotes so i got the 1 4 all remote. The only code i can find is 0533 and it wont work and neither will the search function either although it was the same for the sky in that the search wouldnt find it but i found a code on the net that worked but i cant find one for the dvd?

Has anyone setup this on a one for all and if so what code are you using?

Advertisement